Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Cold shoulder tops

(58 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 09-Sep-17 16:23:03

Does anybody like these?
I can see how the designers hit on the notion of a new "zone" in their latest styles but I see very very few women who look look nice in them. Few of us have the broad toned shoulders of Michelle Obama and (to me at any rate) these tips or dresses <whisper> tarty.
Having percolated down to Market Stall fashions , they just look cheap to me. Styled with a "nice" pair of ripped jeans or "pleather"(plastic) trousers and flip flops they are a look best consigned to history.
I also think unlike asymmetric hems, they are already looking dated - "last year" this year!!
End of fashion RANT! grin

DanniRae Sun 10-Sep-17 09:31:45

PS - They do not look tarty - not everyone wants to look 'elegant and timeless'. I prefer to look up-to-date and modern. But I think it's great that we all choose to have different looks - how boring if we all dressed the same!!

TriciaF Sun 10-Sep-17 09:59:46

I definitely couldn't /wouldn't wear the cold shoulder type.
When in London a few weeks ago I was looking for a nice jumperfor autumn, and many of them have a sort of frilly cuff at the end of the sleeve . So unpractical! Especially when eating or washing up. Like this only a jumper:
www.pinkcadfashion.com/Glamorous-Blue-White-Circle-Print-Beaded-Flowers-Long-Frill-Sleeve-Top

MissAdventure Sun 10-Sep-17 10:04:52

I can't stand frills.

Deedaa Sun 10-Sep-17 21:48:01

Just had a long rant in M&S about frills! Even the girl I was lecturing had to admit that frilly sleeves were useless for washing up grin

JessM Sun 10-Sep-17 22:25:44

Spotted child next door wearing black top with holes at top of arms. Definitely not a great look for a slightly chubby 7 year old blonde with a massive shiny pink bow in her hair.

Lillie Sun 10-Sep-17 22:32:53

There was a soloist of a certain age on BBC proms last night who had an evening gown with holes down the arms. I am not sure whether I liked her dress or not.

Nelliemoser Sun 10-Sep-17 23:39:47

I am "nesh"and the last thing I would want is draughts going down my neck.
I think I would get really annoyed by the fabric hanging off my shoulder and that it would pull uncomfortably when I move my arms.

FarNorth Mon 11-Sep-17 01:58:37

Don't know how it would feel, but I don't like the look of them at all.
Likewise frills, I haven't liked them since I was about 9.

I don't claim or attempt to be fashionable, tho, or even timelessly elegant!

Pittcity Mon 11-Sep-17 09:01:45

Louise on BBC Breakfast has got a top on with slashed and flared sleeves this morning.

PamelaJ1 Mon 11-Sep-17 10:28:18

Looked awful didn't it, and she usually looks good.
Re: bra straps, so many seem to think they are a fashion statement too and like to share.
Not me.

Tegan2 Mon 11-Sep-17 11:48:49

I usually try to wear something from this years fashion, but find these tops very ugly (and won't people have rather strange patches of tanned skin?). And I do actually have nice shoulders; one of my few remaining 'nice bits'.Feel the same about frilly bits; have never been a frilly person.

Imperfect27 Mon 11-Sep-17 12:10:21

I guess each to their own - if you look good in those holey-shoulder tops then go for it. I don't think I would be comfortable in them and I have seen a few ladies who (I think) should definitely not be wearing them! (mutton/lamb grin)

I have a good friend who goes charity shopping with me. We happily seem to agree quite instinctively on what suits or doesn't suit each other and both seem to think the same - that at an advanced age certain arrangements of bows / frills / necklines (lack of) and prints just don't seem fitting!

There are some fashions changes / new (rehashed ideas) things on offer where I think 'Oh goody - I can actually look trendy for a change because that will suit my body shape - other seasons / years where I think, I will be saving a lot of money this time around!

glammanana Mon 11-Sep-17 13:43:16

DanniRae I agree with you it would be a sad world if we all lokked the same,I have a few of the tops and have never had any adverse comments I wouldn't care anyway and I certainly do not look tarty.

DanniRae Mon 11-Sep-17 14:17:41

Good to read your post glammanana - especially considering your Gransnet name!
I find it weird that we all come on here and chat, laugh and sometimes cry but have no idea what the other posters are really like.
Me, I'm a beautiful, slim brunette (natural) and also a terrible liar!
What is true however is that I LOVE clothes and am already sorting out my winter wardrobe. Mainly long tops, thick leggings and boots. I can't wait to wear my new black suede Ugg type boots - but about a quarter of the price!! grin

gillybob Mon 11-Sep-17 14:26:41

I like them too MissAdventure.

You clearly haven't seen me in mine harri I look amazing wink and not in the slightest bit tarty.

MissAdventure Mon 11-Sep-17 14:30:19

I have some I've had for a few years. I've always had a little penchant for holes in my clothes (but never with anything untoward hanging out!) I think it stems back to my punk days.

TriciaF Mon 11-Sep-17 17:21:40

Pittcity - Yes I thought Louise looked very uncomfortable in those sleeves this morning.
She usually dresses very neat and tidy.

Grannyknot Mon 11-Sep-17 17:41:32

JessM - a spotted child? Is she ill? grin

I don't understand why a warm sweater or top would have holes on the shoulders...? confused. I did buy a summer dress with holes on the shoulders and much as I loved it when I tried it on, it drives me mad because I keep feeling as if I need to hoik up the bit of the sleeve below the hole, if that makes sense. So it's uncomfortable.

Next has gone bananas on frills this season. I was in there today looking for warm sweaters and they have frills on the side seams, on the hem, on the shoulders, down the centre ... lots of them. I need a "no frills" deal!

tessagee Mon 11-Sep-17 17:55:28

Never liked frills or bows but I do like the tops where just the upper outside of the sleeve is slashed. I don't have one of these tops myself, but I imagine that they are great in hot weather or on 'hot flush' days.

Tegan2 Mon 11-Sep-17 22:08:50

Have gone on holiday and found that the only sweater I've brought with me has got a huge hole in the elbow; am hoping that people think I'm following a new fashion trend.....

MissAdventure Mon 11-Sep-17 22:13:20

You could start one!

DanniRae Tue 12-Sep-17 08:20:26

Oh Tegan I like the idea of the hole in the elbow. I have my jumper and scissors here - which sleeve please left or right? grin

I think Louise looks really nice this morning on "Breakfast" - does everyone agree?

JackyB Tue 12-Sep-17 11:47:04

I have always hated frills and lace, too. I refused to wear the first bra my mother gave me because it had a little bow on it!

glammanana Tue 12-Sep-17 11:59:27

DanniRae I must say we do try to keep up with the trends (thats me & DD who is also a nana) and even though she is 40+ and me 60+ don't feel anything wrong in that,I got my user name from DDs friend who asked her why is your mum so glamourous.but I had to be suited and booted for my job and just continued the same after retirement,I don't feel dressed without make-up and my long hair put up on top it sets me up for the day.Cheers.

DanniRae Tue 12-Sep-17 14:10:57

glammanana - grin