Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wanting ankle boots for wide feet

(30 Posts)
seacliff Fri 17-Nov-17 18:13:04

I know this has been discussed before, but I now face the same old battle to find some comfortable flat ankle boots for my awkward feet.

I have quite wide feet, E fitting. Also high instep, funny big toes that wiggle a hole in shoes unless I have a deep footbed. And if that weren't enough, thick ankles, so need extra room/adjustability there. And I want them easy to walk in during bad weather.

I have not got on with Hotter in past but may try the Whisper Boots as they have 2 zips, so should be easier to pull on. Or the lace up boots - Ruby looks quite nice.http://www.hotter.com/gb/en/ruby-boots?fit=Extra+Wide+Fit&colour=Rich Navy

I love their Pixie boots but they are pull on, so not for me.

I looked at the Cosy feet but they are sooo frumpy. Why can't they make them a bit more fashionable?

I like the look of Wider Fit more www.widerfitshoes.co.uk/sp+ladies-ladies-boots-bernay+bern6. I did order from them several years ago and the whole order went back. Didn't fit and a bit cheap looking in the flesh.

Hotter leather does look good quality, compared to the others. I have had Clarks Un, but they have no new styles in ankle boots this year. I have their Everlay Mandy .

I did try some Padders boots but they will also be going to the charity shop, the leather is painfully hard around the ankles.

Just wondered if any one has had recent success with similar problems?

midgey Fri 17-Nov-17 18:25:07

Are you able to go into a Hotter shop? I found the assistants to be amazingly helpful and able to point out which style would be a possible fit. If you have bought Hotter in the past that don’t work for you even if you have worn them they will swop them. Obviously there is a cut off time!

Charleygirl Fri 17-Nov-17 18:29:36

I buy Hotter shoes and I can walk with them on immediately.

I cannot buy their ankle boots because I have pins and plates in one ankle so I stay with shoes. The leather is good quality and I find that the shoes are well made. If you do order, try to order when p&p is free.

One thing I hate about Hotter is that they communicate on line several times a week and they also send me their brochures very frequently. It is extremely difficult to unsubscribe- you have been warned!

Squiffy Fri 17-Nov-17 18:50:11

Have you tried Pavers? They seem to do a good range of sizes and fits.

Telly Fri 17-Nov-17 18:50:57

The other thing about Hotter is that they tend to look better in the brochure than in the flesh, so to speak. Personally now I do look for vegan footwear but it is a job and a half.

Tegan2 Fri 17-Nov-17 18:58:38

I have got some extra wide Hotter pixie boots [ haven't worn them yet but they seemed ok in the shop]. I do find in general that Hotter shoes are too narrow for me [even the wide fitting ones]. Once winter starts I live in my Celtic Aqualamb boots. I have every problem going with my feet and I don't know what I'd do without them. I had a panic the other day because I thought they'd stopped making them; my last pair have lasted for years but I just wanted a new pair so I could keep one pair 'for best' as they really are waterproof and I tend to get them a bit muddy.

Baggs Fri 17-Nov-17 19:00:50

If you don't mind oaying for quality and something that will last for years, try Baer Shoes UK.

Baggs Fri 17-Nov-17 19:01:01

paying

annodomini Fri 17-Nov-17 20:27:54

I have so many pairs of Hotter shoes that I've lost count. My least successful purchase has been a pair of calf length boots in a wide fitting. Unfortunately having a wide foot doesn't always mean having a wide calf and I haven't, so the legs of the boots look a bit flappy.

lemongrove Fri 17-Nov-17 20:58:35

That’s good though Anno it will make your legs look very slim.smile
I do like Hotters, and their boots, calf and ankle boots always seem roomy, more so than Clarks.

Elegran Fri 17-Nov-17 21:38:30

I was about to recommend Widerfit/DB but you say you ordered from them a few years ago and didn't like them - their widths start at EE so perhaps they were TOO wide . Did you follow their measuring instructions and find your fitting in the chart? E is not a very wide fitting, there are plenty of other sellers who cater for that width.

I don't understand your "a bit cheap looking" as I have bought many shoes from them and never found that.

Postage is paid on returns, so if I were you I would order from them but be prepared to return them in exchange for other styles until you found ones that suit you. Their Da Bella range are made on a different last to their DB ones, so they may suit your feet better (Da Bella doesn't fit mine)

Grannyknot Sat 18-Nov-17 08:51:46

Seacliff a friend of mine needing wide fit boots has lovely ones from Duo Boots:

duoboots.com/collections/ankle-boots?sort_by=manual

Grannyknot Sat 18-Nov-17 08:55:57

Meant to add, they're also pricey but she says they're good "value per wear" - last for ages.

Lindylo Sat 18-Nov-17 10:15:16

Hotter are fabulous for well fittings shoes and boots and it such great colours too...

Elegran Sat 18-Nov-17 10:17:16

Unfortunately, Hotter shoes don't fit me. People keep telling me how wonderful they are, but they are not for me.

seacliff Sat 18-Nov-17 10:22:47

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll check them all out. I'd never heard of Baer Shoes. They do look wonderful quality, and being German I think they often have wider lasts - more comfort shoes than fashion. The thought of paying £200 for shoes is quite something for me - I suppose if you judge by price per wear, it's not so bad.

I will go to a Hotter shop first and have a try on. Oh dear, I've signed up for their emails, I will expect to be bombarded!

The Duo boots are lovely too, but I need lots of width in the toe, not sure about them. The shop in Bath is a long way from me in Suffolk.

The Celtic are gorgeous, but I want some everyday leather boots, to go with jeans and trousers. Either black, or dark plum or green. Having fat legs and ankles, I never tuck jeans in.

I've just remembered, my podiatrist stocks some DB shoes, so I'll go there too. Some look really nice.

The most I've ever paid is £130 for some American walking trainers especially for my sort of feet from my podiatrist. I have had them years, and recently bought the same again, as they are right for me.

After many attempts at buying on line, I know I need to try on in a shop.

Fennel Sat 18-Nov-17 18:50:59

I've just bought online some Skechers ankle boots, which are very comfy and warm. a good strong sole, but not much support - more like a cosy slipper.
I think they were £52.

coast35 Sun 19-Nov-17 21:18:03

Try Skechers they are bliss to wear.

patd Sun 19-Nov-17 21:27:01

Prefer Pavers to Hotter more comfortable, my daughter also bought me a few pairs wide fit shoes from M&S they are sooo comfortable.

seacliff Sun 19-Nov-17 21:53:52

Are skechers waterproof?

magic666 Mon 20-Nov-17 06:19:10

Try Easy B , simply feet . Com they have a variety of very wide it boots and shoes. I have eee full length boots and the are great.

Fennel Mon 20-Nov-17 07:05:09

seacliff - the ones I bought have suede leather upper, and very thick soles, like these black ones:
www.zalando.co.uk/skechers/
I doubt that they're completely waterproof.

callgirl1 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:47:54

I`ve just ordered some EEE fit ankle boots from J.D.Williams, hopefully they`ll be OK, not expensive, but we`ll see.

OurKid1 Mon 20-Nov-17 17:32:25

I have what may be described as 'lumpy' feet, meaning I need an EE fit. I've bought several pairs of Matron Ella from Clarks and they're perfect. The ankles are quite roomy, so they may suit you too - and they do have a zip. (Terrible name though - just call them Ella!!)

seacliff Mon 20-Nov-17 21:00:33

Thanks Ourkid I've got the Ella too, they are a bit worn now. You're right they are good for big ankles. I wish Clarks would do more e fitting boots, some new funky styles.

I will try and get to some shops soon to try some of these. The DB are quite expensive, I need to compare them with Hotter (who have a 25% off at the moment) .