Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Christmas jumpers.

(66 Posts)
shysal Tue 05-Dec-17 13:44:25

I saw this sweatshirt on an Asda poster and just wanted one so came home and ordered blush! I already have a black one with a silver snowflake and don't know whether I shall wear either. The GCs are growing up and are 'too cool' for frivolity so I may be the only daft one at family gatherings.
Have you been tempted to wear a festive top?

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Dec-17 17:02:22

I found a red one with diamonds around the neck and in a pattern on the front.

Real diamonds, of course, nothing tacky tchgrin

and, of course, I will wear my Ho ho ho Father Christmas earrings. They are just gold with emeralds and rubies - festive red and green.
tchwink

BlueBelle Mon 18-Dec-17 06:58:53

Well I m now going to eat my words I had no intention of ever wearing a Christmas jumper think they are a waste of dosh tacky and not for me ...however I was told this week by my daughter ( where I m having Christmas) that she and her two kids are wearing Christmas jumpers and she hopes I ll join in the fun Well I couldnt be a party pooper so I now have a white jumper with a pink flamingo and Christmas lights ( that light up) all over it
Hohoho

giulia Sun 17-Dec-17 13:40:24

I live in Italy and nobody would be seen dead in a "Festive jumper". My concession is that I have two or three pairs of very Christmassy dangly earrings - of Christmas trees and so on.

M0nica Tue 12-Dec-17 08:36:42

I am busy looking for one a bit outrageous to replace the discrete Fat Face one I wear at the moment.

All the family have instructions to look suitably festive on Christmas day. DDiL has a very nice green sweater with dark green trousers that she wears regularly. She is getting a collection of flashing Christmas brooches from £land to pin on it on Christmas day, and we will drape some fluffy glitter wool on it. Christmassy on Christmas day, back to normal as green trousers and sweater on boxing day.

Culag Mon 11-Dec-17 08:52:49

I’m getting adverts for Christmas dresses on GN now! Full skirts with Santa on, yuk!

mumofmadboys Mon 11-Dec-17 07:58:29

I've got one. I wear it about 7 or 8 times each December. I love it. It is navy with a Christmas tree on the front. I think I'll wear it today

BlueBelle Mon 11-Dec-17 06:17:15

Seems a real divide in the love and hate camp
When did the idea start? well I just googled it and it seems it’s a U.K. tradition started by Timmy mallet ( say no more) and Gyles Brandreth or further back Val Doonican
Ummm still not feeling I should rush out and buy one

Coolgran65 Mon 11-Dec-17 05:05:58

Wilma I am so with you on this i.e.
My boobs and Christmas jumpers just don't mix.

I really don't like Christmas jumpers and have never seen one that I thought was flattering (on me).

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 11-Dec-17 00:30:53

I would love to wear quite a few of the ones I have seen, but they're an absolute no no with the size of my boobs! tchgrin

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Dec-17 19:38:44

The DGC have a 'Christmas jumper Day' at school - yet another reason for parents to spend money!!

I have one I bought in C&A about 25 years ago, it is actually rather classy but very warm, so always too hot to wear on Christmas Day.

I want a red one (without any pictures of snowmen etc!)

NannyTee Sat 09-Dec-17 18:42:24

I love them but would never buy them myself. I have a couple bought for me as presents though and gladly wear them over the season.

craftergran Thu 07-Dec-17 10:51:33

I'd love one, I saw one in one of the supermarkets which had lots of bells attached, heavily hinted to DH I'd like one.

bigcol1 Thu 07-Dec-17 10:49:58

I haven't really got a Christmas jumper. I have a sort of snowy white one and I have nothing against them. its horses for courses I suppose. I think a lot of them are v garish though and go over the top. Whats wrong with just wearing jumpers through Christmas anyway, which I suppose many of us will do. Where did this idea come from? Its another money making thing isn't it? I do admit I have a santa hat. I'm not a total scrooge. But I do sort of draw the line at jumpers. Maybe when I was younger I might have done, but not now. That doesn't make me a scrooge, does it?

Nanny27 Thu 07-Dec-17 09:40:44

Not really in the Christmas jumper corner I'm afraid. Not keen on sparkly clothes either. OMG I sound like a right grump. Not really. I have a cream top with tiny silver stars on the shoulders. I love wearing it at Christmas. DH started a new job last year and was told he must wear a Christmas jumper on the last week before Christmas. He suggested a Christmas tie but, no it had to be a jumper. He roasted all day!

PamelaJ1 Thu 07-Dec-17 09:17:36

Wore mine to the John Rutter Christmas concert at the A Hall yesterday.
Bought it in March for £8 at the m&s outlet and so far have worn it twice so that’s £4 a go. I expect to wear it again at least twice so that goes down to 2. Then there’s next year and the year after ad infinitum so I reckon I will get my monies worth.
It’s quite tasteful and not too warm.
???

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 06-Dec-17 23:59:40

I'm always too hot for a jumper, so I took the plunge this year and bought a Christmas top from ASDA for £8. tchgrin

Maggiemaybe Wed 06-Dec-17 23:39:44

I've seen some today with flamingos on, which is a bit of a stretch of the imagination! I was tickled by one with the slogan "Gangsta Wrapper" though. grin

nannyof4 Wed 06-Dec-17 21:06:50

Yes i have a lovely white jumper with glitter on ,i brought it from Matalan in a sale 2 years ago,was only a £5.
We had friends round one xmas eve and we all wore christmas jumpers and was a fun evening.

NannyTee Wed 06-Dec-17 18:36:17

My favourite is a thin cream one with small red sparkly bows dotted here and there on the front. That's from Peacocks .

pollyperkins Wed 06-Dec-17 18:33:13

I would love a refined/subdued one - not with big pics on the front but a bit of sparkle or a few stars. Any recommendations for jumpers in the shops?
By the way why do so many of you say jumpers are too hot? I'm always COLD!

Overthehills Wed 06-Dec-17 18:22:22

Too hot for jumpers - my temperature gauge has never been the same since the menopause - but I shall decorate a charity shop blouse or polo shirt a la Rowantree! Great idea! tchgrin

BBbevan Wed 06-Dec-17 17:59:52

Not terribly keen on animals, slogans etc on clothing, Christmas or not. I don't mind a bit of restrained sparkle. I like velvet and soft wool at Christmas .

granfromafar Wed 06-Dec-17 17:50:24

Not something I would have worn but a few years ago, younger son bought one for DH to wear at a family festive gathering. Both sons had them, so I felt left out and I chose one with a reindeer. It's quite warm so have bought a thinner one to wear this year. When we go to our GC's school carol festival every year, the children are all encouraged to wear Christmas jumpers so we don ours too. I'm a convert!

Smithy Wed 06-Dec-17 17:46:47

Agree Blinko, love sparkly but not reindeers, puds etc. However, if needs must and you don't want to be a party pooper, Rowan tree s idea of adding decoration to a plain jumper is a great one, ( maybe suits the scrooge in me!)

Lilylilo Wed 06-Dec-17 17:04:07

Dreadful things!