Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Capsule wardrobe? Anyone tried this?

(57 Posts)
loopylou Sat 13-Jan-18 12:00:22

Having lost a stone and a half few of my clothes actually fit properly, so......... I need a capsule or basic wardrobe, how few clothes could/can you live with?
I'm very guilty of keeping clothes 'for best' what's 'best'? and for 'just in case' blush
So any idea of how many pairs of jeans/tee shirts/jumpers/cardigans etc etc I actually need?

janeayressister Sun 14-Jan-18 11:33:02

OMG I have four wardrobes full of stuff. I know that it is crazy and I have tried to stop. I often wonder if there is a need for a Association such as 'clothes and shoe Buying Anonymous.'
I imagine myself in a room full of people where I stand up and say, my name is Janeayrssister and I am guilty of buying shoes and clothes at every opportunity, please help me !!!!

NotTooOld Sun 14-Jan-18 11:33:52

I have a small wardrobe plus some drawers crammed full of stuff of which I wear about ten items regularly so most of it is wasted. Same applies to shoes and boots. I dread to think of the money I've wasted on clothes I liked in the shop but never, ever wear. I tell myself I'm saving it for 'best' but 'best' rarely comes.

Sheilasue Sun 14-Jan-18 11:38:39

I have one skirt 3pairs of black leggings which I find really comfortable which you just pull on no zips or button. Pair of black smart trousers. 5 different coloured long sleeved t shirts. Two blouses for that special occasion one I have had for 5 years from M&S which I love.
Some casual cotton trousers which I have had a while which I just wear indoors. I often go through my wardrobe and have a sort out.

Morgana Sun 14-Jan-18 11:45:21

I have a clear out now and again! I put my winter and summer things away at the appropriate times of year and try to throw out stuff I no longer wear. But still keep some things 'just in case'. Rarely wear anything posh. Have a few more brightly coloured items now that hair is white and find they make me feel happier. Have friends who buy things and never wear them. Find this amazing!

Maggiemaybe Sun 14-Jan-18 11:46:38

Oh, MawBroon, how true! I need that card!

Cubagran Sun 14-Jan-18 12:02:06

I love my clothes and know I have far too many but I like having the option of so many things to wear. Big wardrobe with hanging space and shelves in our bedroom, wardrobe in daughter's old bedroom with posh stuff (for cruises!) and chest of drawers holding my summer clothes, wardrobe in son's old bedroom with summer trousers and jackets, hanging rail in 4th bedroom with winter coats and jackets and chest of drawers there too with underwear and nightwear. Plus my dressing-table drawers hold socks, tights and leggings. I generally have a sort through when I swap seasonal clothes around and if I haven't worn anything one season out it goes! But usually replaced by something new! Couldn't live with a capsule wardrobe.

Diggingdoris Sun 14-Jan-18 12:08:50

I have far too many clothes, using a whole wall of wardrobes plus storage in spare bedroom ones as well. I have a system on the rail putting recently worn back at one end and taking the next day from the unworn end. Then when it's time for the season changeover I look at all the stuff I haven't worn and throw a few out. I would go mad having to wear the same few things in a capsule collection. I don't have an endless budget but I can't resist charity shop bargains, and ebay.

goldengirl Sun 14-Jan-18 12:16:13

I thought about a 'capsule' wardrobe of clothes but couldn't bring myself to do it. The only clothes I don't like for winter are skirts - I look awful in them. I have long length skirts for summer and a few below the knee ones but whether they will be chucked out come the season change this year I don't know. I'm currently enjoying patterned clothes to hide the lumps and bumps - at least I thought they did until I had some photos taken of me sad but they're what I like and are comfy so they're staying.

Maidmarion Sun 14-Jan-18 12:42:58

I am trying this .. At the start of the year I turned all my hangers the 'wrong' way round and as I wear things I put the hangers back to right way, then I'll be able to see what I never wear and sling it....!!!!!

dogsmother Sun 14-Jan-18 13:39:27

Oh dear, blue cross sale yesterday and of course I was there again ....new slippers, a new top and two new long summer dresses....well I’m going away in March and will absolutely NEED those.
My wardrobe was thinned this morning to make way, but I still can’t bring myself to part with so much that I should, mainly because I am a sales shopper.
Had I been lucky enough to have not been concerned about funding these things I wonder what my take would have been?

overthehill Sun 14-Jan-18 13:51:43

Donkey's years ago when I was a teenager there was a girl where I worked who had 1 pale pink and 1 pale blue crew neck long sleeve jumper. She wore them all the time. She told us when she got home she would wash the one she'd worn out and swap the next day

willa45 Sun 14-Jan-18 14:06:22

When it comes to clothes, I like to have more than just a few options. 'Capsuling' my wardrobe doesn't work for me because it limits my choices.

Over time, the dimensions of my closet and accommodating the stuff I really like to wear, is the only thing that limits the scope of my wardrobe.

Note: May I add that hoarding all my old 'skinny' clothes (expecting that someday they would fit again) didn't work for me either. I swallowed hard and finally donated some (not all grin) to a local charity.

VIOLETTE Sun 14-Jan-18 14:15:48

Oh dear ! I so wish I could get my act together clothes wise ....everything is now in need of sorting ....I have two wall length wardrobes and some large coats have crept into OHs wardrobe....there are five cases full of summer clothes, four drawers in two single beds, 12 drawers of jumpers and tops and 6 drawers of undies ......I am SHOCKED ...... I now avoid the shops whenever possible ...but have to confess to buying some casual pants, two jumpers, a night 'cape' thing and a cardigan last week ........I keep telling myself to LEAVE behind all cards (I do pay them off in full each month ..which makes me feel better ) and write a shoping list and take only CASH ....that way I should not be tempted ! I read on a capsule wardrobe website that everyone (female, that is) needs only 38 items in total .....so I made a list ....no no no, can't do it ...got to 38 and then just 'had' to add 2 more of each colour jean , more blouses, tops etc ...well, what if there is no washing machine, dry cleaner or water one day ........still got the list somewhere ...............blush

Jalima1108 Sun 14-Jan-18 15:11:10

phew! I feel much better about my overloaded wardrobe(s) now Violette - thanks

Daisyboots Sun 14-Jan-18 17:26:20

Me too Jalima.
Inishowen do use your voucher. I had my "colours" done 13 years ago and it makes shopping so much simpler. I am always being told how well I look but really it is a case of wearing colours that suit my colouring. Now I just need to lose a lot of weight so I can give away all the larger sizes.

janeainsworth Sun 14-Jan-18 18:47:10

janeayressistercan I join your association? This dress kept appearing on my Facebook news feed & I have finally given in and ordered it blushblush

Jalima1108 Sun 14-Jan-18 19:17:04

janea do you think GN belongs to Facebook? shock

Nice dress btw! I was just looking at some in JL online sale, no doubt I will keep getting 'suggestions' now.

I gave away all the larger sizes, Daisyboots, now I have gone up a bit again I think why?
But they wouldn't have been fashionable anyway.

Silverlining47 Sun 14-Jan-18 19:23:59

Mawbroon I love your card! The British weather does mean you have to have a wardrobe to cover all seasons. I am especially aware of this when I pack my case to holiday back home in the UK. Living somewhere sunny means you wear fewer clothes and brighter colours. I agree you should start your 'capsule' collection with a colour that suits you and makes you feel happy and build on that. This is a wonderful opportunity for a new start Loopylou!

janeainsworth Sun 14-Jan-18 19:37:27

Quite possibly jalima!
I only found out the other day that FB owns Instagram and WhatsApp shock

Jalima1108 Sun 14-Jan-18 20:01:10

Oh!

DD keeps trying to persuade me to use WhatsApp.
I like the landline myself.

Alexa Sun 14-Jan-18 20:21:52

One to wear, one in the wash, and one in the drawer.

W11girl Sun 14-Jan-18 21:26:41

Try as I might capsule doesn’t work for me. I have too many clothes and find it difficult what to wear, sounds crazy doesn’t it! To make more space I bagged all of my “party/cruise wear” until I need it..which may be never! But just in case......

janeainsworth Sun 14-Jan-18 21:44:41

jalima grin

GabriellaG Mon 15-Jan-18 01:44:49

VIOLETTE

Truly unbelievable...??????????????????????????

GabriellaG Mon 15-Jan-18 01:54:44

I recently read that FB proposes to send ad messages to all your WhatsApp contacts and in fact, wants to keep tabs on what you post on each of their sites so as to target you with appropriate content in a manner they have yet to divulge. Thankfully, I'm only on WhatsApp and LinkedIn and no other social media.
I don't need even my family much less the world, to know every breath I take and every move I make (to quote The Police)
It can be a curse as it's forever in the ether and can always be found.