Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Meghan’s M&S Jumper

(92 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 13-Jan-18 14:36:07

After the outcry about Meghan Markle’s eye wateringly expensive engagement picture dress, her white dressing gown coat and her hat on Boxing Say, is nobody prepared to give her credit for booosting a British manufacturer and opting for a high street piece?

www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/fashion-news/meghan-markle-marks-spencer-jumper-571598

rafichagran Sun 14-Jan-18 16:22:20

I respect everone's views in the main, some of my friends do not agree with the monachy but put the argument over with respect.

On this forum, mainly one poster to be fair, the comments are vitriolic, spiteful, personnel, and very hateful. I would say to this poster you are entitled to your opinions but put them respectively and stop using shouty text.

rafichagran Sun 14-Jan-18 16:25:08

Respectfully, sorry for the typo.

GabriellaG Sun 14-Jan-18 17:00:14

I often capitalise words that I cannot put in bold, in order to show that the word has more stress, ie: are YOU going or is it up to ME?
I certainly don't mean it as shouting nor do I assume that others are shouting. I type on my smartphone and there is no capacity to do 'bold'.

nigglynellie Sun 14-Jan-18 17:13:39

Not usually people's names though?! Surely rather rude?!!

GabriellaG Sun 14-Jan-18 17:43:57

Trisher

I agree.

GabriellaG Sun 14-Jan-18 17:58:10

nigglynellie

No, not people's names, however, even on THIS (stressed) site I find that people are castigated for holding strong or opposing views. I'm not at all pc but nowadays one can't always tell the truth or air an honest opinion without being pulled up, therefore, it means having to temper your view so as not to ruffle feathers. As for myself, I'd rather have people say it as it is and I respect their right to do so.

GabriellaG Sun 14-Jan-18 18:03:31

Camelotclub

I think Ramblingrose22 and nigglynellie wanted you to say the unstable. Gloves off.

GabriellaG Sun 14-Jan-18 18:04:01

* unsayable

W11girl Sun 14-Jan-18 21:32:16

I haven’t noticed anything she has been wearing! Maybe because i’m not a royal watcher. I do like Harry and Meghan what a beautiful couple. I wish them well.

Mapleleaf Sun 14-Jan-18 21:45:25

Equally, I don't understand how some people can claim to dislike someone who they know only through carefully edited press and TV appearances, Trisher.
I'm saddened by the amount of vitriol that is appearing by some posters on this thread. Would they say these things to the people if they were face to face with them, I wonder. Probably not.

Mapleleaf Sun 14-Jan-18 22:02:41

Camelotclub , why can't you wait to see their first baby, what are you hoping to see - if they choose to have one, that is? Would you like to enlighten us?

Overthehills Sun 14-Jan-18 22:22:03

I agree Maple.

GabriellaG Mon 15-Jan-18 03:33:22

BTW...I am NOT the person (alluded to by another poster) who was shouty vitriolic and rude.

GabriellaG Mon 15-Jan-18 03:41:26

Mapleleaf

I doubt it.
Maybe we all hope to see a healthy baby born to a very happy couple.
I think to ask the question that has already been asked several times but not answered, you are stirring the pot.
Many people will no doubt wonder and I include myself in that number but more than that...lol ??

Mapleleaf Mon 15-Jan-18 09:29:47

No I'm not stirring the pot, I just wish that some people would be clearer.

trisher Mon 15-Jan-18 10:02:40

Mapleleaf If you consider I don't understand how some people can claim to dislike someone who they know only through carefully edited press and TV appearances vitriolic you either don't understand the word or have led a very cloistered life
vitriol -^bitter criticism or malice.^
The hero worship of the RF reminds me in many ways of the way teenagers idolise a celebrity. Watching their every move, copying their clothes, fantasising about their love life. I'm not condemning it. If that's what you need to get you through a day that's fine. But I really don't understand why you feel the need to attack people who don't share your obsession and ask questions about it.

nigglynellie Mon 15-Jan-18 10:27:30

No one is attacking anyone for their disaproval of the RF. What is being attacked is the way that some people express their views. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for goodness sake, to be so venomous about a young (not middle aged!) couple and the family they belong to is quite frankly deeply unpleasant and totally unnecessary.

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 10:27:54

Back to the original question, I wouldn't even think to know or care where each article of clothing MMwears ,comes from !!I might think 'ohh that looks nice 'or 'I wouldn't wear that ' So yes I could say ohh that's good she is supporting aBritish manufacturer ( is there one? ) even M& S clothes are not manufactured in this country! We do seem to get in a bit of a lather in this country about such things don't we!!

durhamjen Mon 15-Jan-18 11:04:57

I hope she doesn't buy from Zara, Next or Mango.
Or if she does, she could make sure their workers are paid. Some of them haven't been paid for 79 weeks, so I've just heard.

trisher Mon 15-Jan-18 11:05:11

Well if this isn't attacking someone niggly
There really are some unpleasant people on this website. PaddyAnn!!! Glad I don't have to mix with you in "real life"
or this
the amount of vitriol that is appearing by some posters on this thread. Would they say these things to the people if they were face to face with them, I wonder. Probably not

And actually "Yes" I would express my disapproval of the RF and the amount they cost the country, and the numbers of hangers on that now comprise it, face to face with anyone. What I haven't done is condemn people who like them, just said I don't understand it which apparently is "vitriolic"

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 11:16:34

A friend of mine use to pride herself on only buying 'cotton garments ' as there was ' no way ' she was going to wear synthetic. I showed her my book about ethical buying,she steadfastly refused to believe that children were working many hours a day for a pittance producing these garments made with carcinogenic methods for which she was prepared to pay a fortune for. I don't think we know the half of what goes on , or how we can do the right thing to improve the situation,if no one buys these garments children people communities suffer & if we do buy them we are aiding & betting those who mercilessly exploit communities & there well being.

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 11:17:57

I would just say Trisher that they do provide a lot of employment.

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 11:27:58

meant their not there!

durhamjen Mon 15-Jan-18 11:33:05

Depends on the cotton, Bridgeit. Organic cotton is different.

www.cottonedon.org

durhamjen Mon 15-Jan-18 11:36:52

Sorry about that. You'll find info on Soil Association.

www.soilassociation.org/organic-living/fashion-textiles/organic-cotton/