Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

White shirt/blouse needed

(34 Posts)
OldMeg Tue 13-Feb-18 12:30:07

Who would think it so difficult to find a white shirt?

I play in an ‘ensemble’ and our uniform is black skirt or trousers and a plain white shirt. My old shirt has finally come to the end of its life and looks decidedly scruffy so I need a new one.

I’ve searched everywhere. They are either too thin and reveal too much, or the material is too stiff and doesn’t ‘drape’ well (thus over-enhancing a chest which is sufficiently well enhanced already) or linen. Now some people can were linen and look casually chic, I just look crumpled.

It must have a collar and 3/4 or full length sleeves and be available in a size 14 and preferablly a longer line rather than those silly short shirts that just stop at your bottom therefore emphasising the part your rather have covered.

I’d settle for ivory or off white.

Please - any suggestions.

janeainsworth Fri 16-Feb-18 13:45:35

Very nice old meg.
I don’t know how much it cost, but it’s not the price of a garment that matters, but how often you’re going to wear it, ie cost per wear.
It sounds as though you’ll be wearing it quite a lot, so enjoy it smile

OldMeg Fri 16-Feb-18 17:29:46

That’s exactly right Jane ?

OldMeg Fri 16-Feb-18 17:39:29

When I got my first wage I spent over half of it (this was a monthly wage) on a lovely black silk shirt. I wore that shirt for years and years and years until it literally fell apart. I wore it casually with jeans, dressed up with long skirts and gold jewellery, to funerals, under smart jackets or with hippy waistcoats, in summer & winter.

Great value for money,

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Feb-18 17:40:22

If a white top is at all see-through, wear a self-coloured bra underneath, not a white one.

That looks very nice indeed OldMeg

ps what do you play?

NotAGran55 Fri 16-Feb-18 17:47:59

A great choice Oldmeg .

OldMeg Fri 16-Feb-18 17:54:37

I tried it on with my ‘nude’ bra and nothing showed through Jalima.

I play keyboard, and tuned & untuned percussion if the need arises. We wear white tops, black trousers or shirts and waistcoats. It’s part of U3A.

Thanks NotAGran

OldMeg Fri 16-Feb-18 17:55:05

Or skirts!!!

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Feb-18 18:12:06

I wish I'd kept up my music lessons, alas I was adamant at 12 that I just didn't have the time.
sad