Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Who wears this stuff?

(33 Posts)
morethan2 Sun 25-Feb-18 19:28:30

Sitting in a hotel lounge today I was flipping through the daily mails magazine looking at the fashion pages and thought who wears this stuff? Even my young relations said they wouldn’t be seen dead in it, if i wore any of it I’d look like a sack of rags tied together with old rope and some of the prices shock I never see anyone dressed like this Perhaps I move in the wrong circles. It’s not just the daily mail I’ve seen the same thing in other newspaper supplements and women’s magazines. Some of their reader must wear it otherwise why would they bother.

Smithy Sun 25-Feb-18 21:19:53

A friend passes her Sunday Times mag on to me (oooh! posh). The clothes cost £thousands. What is the usual readership type of the Sunday Times?

M0nica Sun 25-Feb-18 21:59:51

I think these are just clothes emphasising this year's trends. These trend are watered down before they hit the High Street. Most expensive clothes have High Street equivalents. One of the papers, I cannot remember which, each week takes one or two items and lines them up in a budget, mid-range and high end version.

Teetime Mon 26-Feb-18 09:00:13

I read the Sunday Times Style magazine but don't think I have been influenced in a positive way at all by the clothes there. I do like the make up and hair columns and have sometimes purchased some of the recommended products or used a way of applying make up - that's all the clothes are far to weird and wonderful and pricey for me.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 26-Feb-18 10:21:51

I couldn't agree more, the 'Style' supplement has gone from bad to worse over the last few months - it is ridiculous. I don't know who wears this tripe and they really ought to rename it 'Fashion Victim' and have done with it. On a positive note it gives we normal mortals a jolly good laugh.

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Feb-18 10:22:41

M0nica is right,
my daughter designs womenswear for the high street and uses these as part of her design inspiration. Things trickle down - puffy sleeves, lots of lace, bows, tight trousers or whatever.
All this is very much diluted.

Fennel Mon 26-Feb-18 10:24:52

I read the Sunday Times too, but have stopped buying it from time to time as it seems to be becoming more and more of the shock horror type of newspaper. And an obsession with sexual topics.
As well as showing ridiculously expensive clothes.

PamelaJ1 Mon 26-Feb-18 10:34:51

One of my friends daughters used to write for the fashion section in Style.
I think it was a case of wear what I tell you too even if I don’t!

radicalnan Mon 26-Feb-18 11:12:55

One design shown on the catwalk was a model with her head through a paddling pool..........not sure if it will suit me, but it is washable and affordable.

Rosina Mon 26-Feb-18 11:13:31

I can't remember who it was on the radio some weeks ago (senior moment) but the discussion was about fashion, and the general consensus was that the whole point of fashion writers, designers etc is to convince the public that they 'need' to keep buying new clothes that they don't 'need'. Some of the catwalk fashion over the last few years has been enough to reduce us to hysterics - and the sullen, anorexic and zombie like models are probably the complete opposite of what the average woman wants to look like. I really don't know how this whole bandwaggon keeps rolling, given the prices quoted for some pretty nasty looking designs; it seems that £4,000 + is an acceptable price to ask for a dress - who pays this kind of money?

Blinko Mon 26-Feb-18 11:25:46

I wonder what HM the Q made of the fashions at the recent London fashion event she attended. She is of course well known for her ability to keep her views to herself. Bet it would have been interesting to hear her remarks to the D of E when she returned home though.

henetha Mon 26-Feb-18 11:26:25

Some other supplement magazines also show overpriced unattractive clothes that no one in their right mind would want to wear. It's all bonkers! Maybe I'm out of touch though, - there isn't much call for Haute Couture down here on Dartmoor.

Blinko Mon 26-Feb-18 11:28:12

Puffy sleeves, lace, bows, tight trousers ...says it all, doesn't it? No offence, NotSpaghetti. smile

Maccyt1955 Mon 26-Feb-18 11:31:46

For me the whole fashion industry stinks... read the bestseller ‘Size Zero’, about a young catwalk model who got out in time. She survived by eating 3 apples a day, to achieve the required sceletal frame of a size 6/8. She describes an anorexic model collapsing and dying backstage...but it was hushed up. Some of these fashion designers know they cannot produce clothes which will look good on a normal woman with curves. It’s a deadly toxic racket.

Rosieroe Mon 26-Feb-18 11:32:07

The Victoria Beckham look anyone? Complete with ‘duvet’bag - a bargain at just under £600.

grammargran Mon 26-Feb-18 11:34:55

To those of you who have mentioned it, you’re absolutely right about the Sunday Times Style magazine. It plumbed the depths this week, causing even my 21-year old granddaughter to screech with ‘shocked’ amazement at one article’s highlighted extract about legalised pot in LA. Having said that, I, too, screeched in amazement when I saw that one of the ‘Editor’s Buys’ was a floral dress from hm.com at £35 ......

Sheilasue Mon 26-Feb-18 11:45:15

Even the weekly magazines which have a style page have some awful styles I wouldn’t be seen dead in them.
Looking on line at white stuff and joules, Boden etc are expensive for me I look for the sales if there is anything in them I can afford I will buy something.

maddyone Mon 26-Feb-18 11:53:03

Rosieroe gringringrin

sarahcyn Mon 26-Feb-18 12:09:16

" they really ought to rename it 'Fashion Victim' and have done with it."
What a brilliant idea for a fashion website/magazine....

Gaggi3 Mon 26-Feb-18 12:11:06

I thought the Queen’s visit to Fashion Week was ill-judged in the current climate, with so many in poverty. I agree with all the comments about the weird clothes and ridiculous prices, and feel she could have made a visit somewhere less blatantly elitist. Am now donning my anti-flack jacket.

Grannycupcake Mon 26-Feb-18 14:24:54

I feel the same when I see those 'torn to pieces' jeans. Emperors new clothes come to mind. How people can waste money on such things defies imagination.

Nanna58 Mon 26-Feb-18 14:25:06

No longer look at fashion in Goodhousekeeping or Woman and Home, they were ridiculous prices. Recently bought a Prima, not exactly a 'premium' mag, and their prices were almost as bad- at this rate being naked will soon be the only affordable option! ???

starlily106 Mon 26-Feb-18 15:26:14

I look at the fashion pages in Metro paper, and think to myself that the cost of one dress costs more than I can afford for my clothes spend for a year. I am not including shoes or underwear in this, as they are necessary items, but most of my other items are from charity shops or very special offers. I think that most of the clothes on a catwalk are ridiculous, and feel sorry for the models who have to wear them.

Irenelily Mon 26-Feb-18 15:55:10

My DH likes the Sunday Times for the Crosswords. I always skim through, sometimes finding interesting comments on the news. There are 2 magazines the fashion one is rubbish! It used to have a Q&A section on what to wear for certain occasions which was quite fun but that has gone now. The other magazine has articles and photographs, “A day in the life of -“ and an article where two family members talk about their life so that is interesting too. I personally wouldn’t buy it!

GabriellaG Mon 26-Feb-18 16:11:28

I think HM is unlikely to have had a conversation (about her catwalk trip) with the D of E. She's far more likely to have laughed about it with Angela Kelly, her dresser, clothes designer, and confident, as Ms Kelly was with her on the front row.
I remember my mum having a seasonal job as a kind of personal shopper for an 'atelier' in the 50s when moneyed ladies would have the season's newest fashions paraded by mannequins at private showings. These were proper clothes worn by women who had proper figures and mum would list those outfits her client(s) wanted to purchase and organise the packing into tissue lined cardboard boxes bound with ribbon for the appropriate chauffeur(s) to collect.
All a world away from the way clothes are stuffed into bags nowadays.
I even voiced my objections to a manager, after my Primark purchases were carelessly ravelled and stuffed into a carrier.