Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Style disaster- Light-hearted thread. ?

(41 Posts)
Marydoll Wed 11-Apr-18 23:35:25

As a redhead, my eyebrows have always been practically invisible, so tonight I decided to tint them, as I'm off on holiday on Monday.

Basically, I couldn't be bothered to go and get them done professionally and anyway, I'm too busy posting on GN games thread.?.?

I didn't factor into the process that:
*I wear splints on my hands
*Consequently I have limited dexterity
*My new bathroom is white ( Oh the mess) ?
*I couldn't be bothered measuring the peroxide accurately..
*I'm practically blind without my specs
* DH is impatiently waiting for me to watch something on iPlayer and telling me to "Hurry up!"

And so I began the process. I decided to use a stencil, bad move.? I couldn't hold the stencil and tint at the same time.

By the time I finished, I looked like Groucho Marks, except not altogether like him. The "eyebrows" were off centre. I hastily wiped off the dye.
Can anyone help? I now have one light and one very dark eyebrow. The dye only took on one eyebrow.? and I can't get it to work on the other brow.
What has your worst styling disaster been?

GrandmasueUK Thu 12-Apr-18 13:54:35

I was about 14 and wanted a pageboy style haircut. I took a picture to the hairdresser and I was really happy with the cut. For some unknown reason she backcombed it all and it looked as though I was wearing a busby! The hairdresser was a friend of my auntie and her 'salon' was her kitchen which had a couple of old ladies having perms who thought I looked lovely hmm

GabriellaG Thu 12-Apr-18 14:09:11

I colour my hair and this time I used Quartz (Clairol)
Because I have very fair skin and a few freckles over my nose and upper cheek area, my eyebrows and the hairs on my arms are virtually invisible.
On Sunday, I dyed my eyebrows for the first time, using some of the hair colourant on a cotton bud. I did it twice but the second time, a knock at the door made me forget that the dye would show (I'd been pretty generous) and the look on the face of the Hermes delivery guy was priceless ??? although at the time I wasn't thinking about my dye job.
I had given him a pack of sandwiches crisps and bottled water from Waitrose and he kept at arms length while I signed the machine not knowing what to say.
When I got back to the mirror I shocked myself and wish now that I had a photo to show ?
They were worse than the photo on here.
Luckily, the dye did work and made a difference and the residue cleaned off with a soapy cloth.
I considered having them tattooed but it looks too chavvy and too expensive. ?
Motto: always check mirror before answering door.

Chrishappy Thu 12-Apr-18 14:30:28

I'm very fair with invisible eyebrows. After many tinting disasters I got them tattooed. Best thing I ever did

Aepgirl Thu 12-Apr-18 15:08:59

I think you've just got to go to a beautician and ask her to 'put it right' for you. You'll be surprised at just what miracles they can perform. I don't think I would put nail varnish remover anywhere near my eyes - they're far too precious.

Marydoll Thu 12-Apr-18 16:10:49

Chrishappy, I do like that idea, but knowing my luck......?‍♀️
How long does it last?
Thanks for all the kind and amusing replies.

Yellowmellow Thu 12-Apr-18 16:50:49

I sympathise. I remember when I was young I decided I wanted to be blonde and did it at home. I went a really light corn colour....which everyone said they liked...I was mortified...took my hairdresser a fair few goes to get it right. I'm 64 now, have had blonde highlights for years....but never ever will I attempt to go blonde doing it myself ever again.
You may have to resort to going to a professional to try and sort out the problem for you. Good luck with it xx

Chrishappy Thu 12-Apr-18 17:14:58

Tattooing will last year's. Just a small top up once a year .and they're done in like hair strokes, so look so natural.

NotAGran55 Thu 12-Apr-18 17:48:22

How about a Claudia Winkleman style wig to tide you over until nature sorts it out !

Catterygirl Thu 12-Apr-18 20:12:36

When I broke my shoulder and arm same time, I couldn't manage my feet so went to a wonderful Chinese woman at the hospital who waxed my eyebrows and dyed them after treating my feet. I would advise looking for a Chinese beauty therapist.

MargaretX Thu 12-Apr-18 20:24:05

I often give myself a home perm and can remmeber the day I had a shop perm. I cried the rest of the day and have never done it since. When I do it myself I leave the fringe and top hair alone and do the back and sides to give it all a bit of body.

After the shop perm I had to go out and collect a prescription at the GPs. Eveyone there recognised me and no one said anything.! It took 6 months to grow out.

Deedaa Thu 12-Apr-18 21:20:53

When I was at grammar school in the early 60s we used to perform tableaux at Christmas. One year the art mistress decided the angels would be based on a renaissance painting, all dressed in a greyish blue with red hair (or as red as possible) One girl had beautiful platinum hair so she tried using an auburn rinse. The result was bright pink which hadn't really become a thing in the 60s and the headmistress was not impressed!

One of my friends tried an auburn rinse but didn't realise the importance of applying it evenly. She ended up with a bright red streak down the back of her brown hair. The headmistress didn't like that either!

Coolgran65 Thu 12-Apr-18 23:08:39

Horatia - absolutely nothing at all wrong with fair to ginger eyebrows.
I had ginger hair and the accompanying fair eyebrows and fair complexion. However, they are now grey/white and wiry. A blonde eyebrow pencil gives a little colour similar to what they would have looked like when my ginger was in its full glory.

Fear not - I do not have (not want) the 'great huge eyebrows' as you suggest..

PamelaJ1 Fri 13-Apr-18 06:58:27

Please don’t follow lemons advice please.
The hairs have been dyed permanently, Nail polish remover will not help. The dye on your skin will probably have worn off by now.
Either go to a Beauty therapist or get a friend or your husband to mix another batch and apply to the other brow until it matches. Keep taking it off and checkingtill you get the depth right. The tint on eyebrows can take very quickly.
Good luck.
Are you going to wax your bikini line today? Let us know how it goes?

Marydoll Fri 13-Apr-18 07:14:18

It's a long time since I was able to see my bikini line, never mind wax it. ?
Anyway do you actually trust me to wax it after my brow disaster?
I have manged to eventually fix it my brows, by a softly, softly approach. A little bit dye at a time.
It actually doesn't look too bad now. The dye hadn't taken very well, so when I washed my hair, my brows went much lighter.
Lesson learned and I do hope I made people smile. ?

lemongrove Fri 13-Apr-18 08:32:55

Pamela a friend used the remover on her overdyed brows
Successfully, but obviously you must be careful and just use a little.
Marydoll glad you sorted it out, it did sound funny but at the same time we all had great sympathy for your plight.
?????????