Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Fake Tan

(54 Posts)
Teetime Sun 27-May-18 09:40:34

Wishing to gain a healthy glow without putting my already wrinkly face in the sun I purchased some Clarins Radinace-Plus Golden Glow Booster £20) drops which you add to your normal moisturiser at night. Well and good it works IF you follow the instructions!! I am now a bit orange and am now off to exfoliate myself back to a more normal tinge!

lemongrove Tue 12-Jun-18 23:11:40

I used to use Dove, but have discovered L’Oriel Sublime Bronze Summer Glow Lotion Medium tan , it’s brilliant.
I am a fair skinned blonde and it looks right on me.
No need to moisturise first, just use it.
I use a little on face and neck, and legs and feet.Strangely my arms never need it and tan with just being around the garden or out for walks. If your face or legs are particularly dry then do moisturise first.

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Jun-18 18:42:34

I used it twice and didn't notice much change - so will keep going! smile

It didn't seem to be sticky, perhaps I didn't use enough - or perhaps it is better not to use too much in one go and build it up gradually.

Gma29 Tue 12-Jun-18 08:44:53

I too have used the fair shade Dove fake tan (the one in the gold tube). It doesn’t smell unpleasant, and moisturises well. It does need 2-3 days of application to get much colour, but I didn’t want to go for the dark shade!

The only downside to it, is it does leave the skin feeling a bit sticky for a few hours, and looking at the reviews, others have said the same. I was worried it would transfer onto clothes etc, but it doesn’t.

sluttygran Fri 01-Jun-18 09:07:53

Come on, Jalima, take the plunge!
I felt the same - I’m always nervous about adding any sort of colour that might not wash off immediately, but this stuff adds such a little whisper of a tan that you won’t be upset.
I also like the perk of having a really good moisturiser as well as a hint of colour - that’s cos I’m stingy and like getting twice the value! grin

Jalima1108 Thu 31-May-18 15:23:59

I've never used Dove before (apart from the soap years ago) and have been looking nervously at the tube of tanning cream.
So far haven't opened it!

sluttygran Thu 31-May-18 14:00:55

Nice to know that we Gransnetters who are ‘Dove’ fans have increased their sales to such an extent!
I wonder if we should ask for commission? ?

Jalima1108 Tue 29-May-18 20:18:54

A very large Boots which I went to today had sold out of the lighter shade of Dove lotion
(everyone's been reading GN!)

I bought the Clarins drops and will heed your warning Teetime. The adviser told me to use it on my face, ears, neck, chest and top of my back.
I refrained from telling her that I am not a contortionist.

Kittye Tue 29-May-18 19:03:10

Another fan of Dove lotion. I use the fair to medium, don't like to be too brown. Nicely moisturises as well.

glammanana Tue 29-May-18 12:45:14

For anyone interested the Dove body lotion is on offer for half price at Boot at the moment I don't know when the offer finishes though I bought some on Saturday. I paid £3.89.

muffinthemoo Tue 29-May-18 12:35:24

I am the colour of one of the vampires off Twilight and have successfully passed this on to my wee ones...

Fifteen minutes in the sun each day as per NHS suggestions, likewise Vit D supplements, then factor 50 everywhere and cover everything lol

Last time I got sunburnt (missed spot with suncream, thanks DH) the mark was visible for two years. Not kidding sad

Thank god I am Scottish grin

moonbeames Tue 29-May-18 11:21:14

I use Dove body lotion as well, the light shade, it gives me a very nice soft glow, nothing to write home about but it does look natural and lovely. I get it from the supermarket. Good product.

Jalima1108 Mon 28-May-18 23:34:41

I bet it'll be sold out tomorrow when I go to buy some

'As seen on Gransnet' grin

I don't like most sunscreens because they are 'water repellent' and I think they clog the skin.
Can anyone recommend one that is good and is not 'water-resistant' or 'water repellent' please?

grannyticktock Mon 28-May-18 23:04:57

Another vote here for the Dove product, which looks and smells like a moisturiser but includes a tanning ingredient. I only use it on my legs, and find it very good, with no weird lingering aroma. I found the lighter shade had almost no effect on my skin, so I use the darker one.

marionk Mon 28-May-18 22:37:28

Actually not everyone can adequately process the vitamin D in sunshine, my daughter has to have prescription supplements as she is one of the few.

SunnySusie Mon 28-May-18 22:03:00

GreenGran you have highlighted my worry, particularly as sun screen covers every inch and often contains parabans and no doubt other nasty things. I dont really like it on myself either, not day after day. I do realise there are parts of the world where its unavoidable, but in the UK better to try and keep in the shade and under a hat plus light weight cover up clothing. If only there were more cover up styles available in cool fabrics.

GreenGran78 Mon 28-May-18 20:12:28

I am dubious about the merits of coating our children in chemical sunscreen every day. From the moment they are born children are subjected to chemical contact through nappies, wipes, plastic feeding bottles etc. I'm sure it can't be good for them. I avoid using chemical products as much as possible, especially cleaning sprays, air fresheners wipes etc.
Does anyone else agree with me?

varian Mon 28-May-18 18:46:05

Oh dear sarahellenwhitney you are wrong for many reasons.

I have no expertise in the fake tan department or even the genuine tan department as I have never had a tan, fake or real, in spite of spending years living in the tropics. I am a Scot and we have the sense to keep out of the sun, unlike "mad dogs and Englishmen".

I am quite sure that Trump would not value my opinion, or that of any sane observor, on anything at all.

debohunXL5 Mon 28-May-18 16:58:00

I was told that if you use fake tan and it comes out too orangey then rub some toothpaste on the areas, particularly knees and elbows to lighten it. I wouldn't recommend it on your face though.

Happysexagenarian Mon 28-May-18 16:24:27

I use Dove Summer Revisited (Fair to Medium), it gives a nice golden glow, definitely not orange, skin feels silky not greasy, and it doesn't rub off on clothes or bed linen. It lasts well too. I used it for 3 consecutive days to start then every other day to top it up. There is no sun block in it though so if I'm out in the sun I use a Factor 50 as well. There is also a darker shade available if you like a darker colour.

Teetime Mon 28-May-18 16:20:27

Meriel I am with you now having got over my first go with too many drops added to moisturiser and am looking Ok with a sweep of the brush across a Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick, some mascara (couldn't leave the house without it) and lip gloss summer make up sorted.

Meriel Mon 28-May-18 13:49:42

I use the Clarins drops and I love it. I find using two drops every other day works really well for me. I don't need to use foundation, just a little blusher.

MawBroon Mon 28-May-18 13:48:54

I don’t know where “Rick” came from in my last post grin

sarahellenwhitney Mon 28-May-18 13:45:42

Varian.I'm sure Donald T would value your expertise on such matters.

Panache Mon 28-May-18 12:35:19

123 coco............Having only recently had my 8th Skin cancer surgically removed.......(both BCC and squamous celled variety )believe me I do not advocate tanning without taking full precautions.

Probably like your good self we have learnt the hard way.

My posting was simply a light hearted one in light of the Op`s posting.

This generation not only know of the dangers but have all manner of aids to protect our skin although yes sometime out of doors is beneficial for us all.

Kacee Mon 28-May-18 12:27:59

I use the Dove one (revitalise sun I think it's called). Also very pleased with it.