'yet another anecdote' alert....
For my first daughter's wedding twenty years ago, (evening formal), I had a clear vision of what I wanted, which actually made things more difficult for me.
After being accosted by several well meaning bridal consultants (with commission driven motives and taste), I decided to give the department stores a try.
Almost immediately, I found a beige 'peau de soie' evening gown similar to what I was looking for, except it had no jacket.
To my dismay, finding one that matched would be a tall order because the color 'beige' has too many iterations. I had to settle for a complementary fabric that would make a statement instead. It was a beige/taupe metallic brocade.
The jacket itself was very flattering with a fitted cut and a scalloped neckline. The buttons however, were cheap plastic rosettes and definitely had to go!
I went into NYC's fashion district and replaced them with a set of filigree bronze buttons, exquisitely accented with genuine Swarovski crystal teardrops! The buttons ended up being so gorgeous that the jacket morphed into a very expensive looking, 'designer' evening jacket. That jacket got a lot of complements and very good use even years after the wedding!
It was a lot of work, but in the end, I achieved the look that I wanted and without anybody's help.