Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Easy ideas for putting hair up/back, please?

(7 Posts)
Flossieturner Tue 25-Sep-18 08:00:54

Have a look at a site called African Beauty. They have beaded double combs which are so easy to use and look very attractive. You can buy them from Amazon too but this site has lots of choices or style and colour

seacliff Mon 24-Sep-18 11:34:39

Asda do a claw clip specially for extra thick hair, £3.50 I think. It's good for my thick mop.

Genevieve489 Mon 24-Sep-18 11:16:44

Thank you all. I'll have a go with the scrunchie and the messy bun. Would ordinary hair grips work with this, or do I need a different type of clip?

Situpstraight1 Mon 24-Sep-18 10:42:01

Mine is in a high ponytail and then twisted around around and pinned to make a messy bun.
You could also use a big clip just twist your hair into a ‘rope’ pull it upwards and put a big clip on it, my hair is too thick though to use these and they break and ping off.
Had mine cut short a couple of times and regretted it instantly, my hairdresser has a note on my file to ignore me if I tell her to cut it short.

Bathsheba Mon 24-Sep-18 10:33:59

I echo Pittcity - it's what I tend to do. And as for whether you did the right thing over the long, hot summer, I would say you did the best thing! Long hair can be tied up, and kept away from the forehead and neck. Shorter hair, on the other hand, has to stay there. I remember a holiday in the Greek islands some years ago when I'd decided to cut my long hair into a chin length bob. Boy did I regret that in the Mediterranean heat! Too short to tie back really, but I actually resorted to putting it in too ridiculous looking paintbrush pigtails because I couldn't bear it grin

Pittcity Mon 24-Sep-18 10:00:16

I put mine into a pony tail but double the hair up on the last twist of the scrunchie to make a messy bun.

Genevieve489 Mon 24-Sep-18 09:54:25

This year I decided to let my hair grow long and it is now shoulder length. It is thick and auburn, but now with silver/grey highlights, especially underneath. It also has a natural curl upwards.

I would appreciate any ideas for how I could put it up/back during the day. I've put it into a small pony tail with a scrunchie and also pushed it behind my ears. I have arthritic hands and am not very deft, so something fairly simple would be ideal. Is there anything I could buy that would work? Any ideas welcome. And yes, I did wonder if I'd done the right thing over the long, hot summer! smile