Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

The perfect........

(11 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 29-Sep-18 12:47:59

How much time or effort do you spend or indeed waste finding “the perfect...”?
Whether it is jeans, roll neck sweater, boots or shoes I seem to be on the permanent hunt to find my holy grail garment (especially cowl necks and also shoes)
4 years ago for DD’s wedding I found a lovely and incredibly comfortable pair of Gabor black suede courts (Sovereign if you are interested) and have been keeping them “for best” ever since . That has involved buying other smart day shoes or indeed more than one pair which have never been as comfortable. So today I googled the firm, found Sovereign are still available and ordered myself a “spare” pair. So I can wear the ones I have got with a clear conscience. Result!
So I am beginning to think if I ever find “the perfect” anything I should just buy a spare and stash it away for when the first wears out.
(Might have found the perfect cowl neck at JL but still tempted by Landsend who have better colours so still hunting)

kittylester Sat 29-Sep-18 12:54:28

Yep,navy and/or smart grey tousers that are not the sort of thing my mum would have worn and the same Clarke ankle boots I have worn for the last 5 years. They are like Trigger's broom (in Only Fools and Horses) in that they have been mended so often there is not much of the original left. I thought they had something similar this year - they didn't!! sad I have 6 other pairs of ankle boots but they are not quite right and largely remain unworn.

MawBroon Sat 29-Sep-18 13:14:50

That is it - the neglected items sitting in the wardrobe looking out accusingly. Question, should you throw them out or hang on, on the basis they are better than nothing?

annodomini Sat 29-Sep-18 13:54:58

If you find 'the perfect', buy two! I had perfect lined winter trousers, grey, wool mix - from M&S believe it or not. I also had a matching bomber jacket. But the trousers wore out and the jacket didn't. Nothing else matched the jacket. sad

kittylester Sat 29-Sep-18 14:15:16

Thing is, you don't necessarily know straight away that they are perfect and then it's too late!!

petra Sat 29-Sep-18 17:07:36

MawBroon
I know what you mean. I find for my size and height ( 5ft size 12) Wallis trousers are perfect. They fit on the waist where they should, fit under the bum instead of that 'baggy' thing. So I bought 3 pairs of the same trouser.
This might seem silly but I know my style ( narrow straight leg navy) so I know they will last me for a long time.

lemongrove Sat 29-Sep-18 17:22:19

Yes, buying a couple of pairs makes sense if you really like them.
I would like a Winter dress to wear with boots, but not too warm and not with a high neck, so shall be on the look out.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 29-Sep-18 17:42:13

Lemon look at Boden, they have a sale on at the moment I have just bought 2 "winter dresses" no high necks, lots of really pretty prints and styles.

M0nica Sun 30-Sep-18 16:46:29

I never look for the perfect in anything, partly because I do not think it exists, but I also think that if you are so narrowly focused on finding 'perfect' you miss all the other things out there that might be even better.

Chewbacca Sun 30-Sep-18 17:07:06

I found that Per Una jeans, Roma fit, were just perfect on me. But they've changed their jeans to a thin, scraggy, lycra filled fabric and they look awful now. So the search is back on......

Panache Sun 30-Sep-18 17:13:33

Strangely enough it is only now when everything seems to be falling apart and quite frankly I could do with a complete overhaul from top to bottom in clothes,hair and facials............yet I seem to have nailed "my style" though it would come at a time when really ........is it worth while bothering??
You bet I will.............I am made that way!

Whilst I think if you do find that garment or whatever in the best fit and right colour by all means stock up........perfection may never come again!