Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Looking fabulous

(28 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Thu 11-Oct-18 09:24:43

Duchess of Cambridge visiting V&A last night looked absolutely stunning, hip and trendy, and beautiful, great to see her in outfit suitable for a young woman rather than her usual, though smart, very ageing look, a new stylist possibly?

GrandmaMoira Thu 11-Oct-18 09:31:48

It makes a change for her to dress her age. Usually she wears outfits I would like which are a generation too old for her. This out fit is more like Meghan's style. I wonder if she will return to the older style for tomorrow's wedding.

oldbatty Thu 11-Oct-18 09:32:54

Wow, she looks fantastic. Absolutely.

Luckygirl Thu 11-Oct-18 09:39:52

Gosh - I think that is a very weird garment. Too long for its style.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Oct-18 10:39:59

I thought she looked fabulous, the dress was in Prince of Wales check, the whole look was very "fashion forward".

How did she get her waist back so tiny in 5 months? I am still trying 25 years later lol!!

M0nica Thu 11-Oct-18 21:42:42

I thought the dress looked frumpy, and deliberately made to look badly made. Sorry, I did not think it a good look. The sooner she goes back and starts dressing like the Queen again the better, if this is the alternative.

lemongrove Thu 11-Oct-18 21:56:40

Maybe it was from M&S ?

M0nica Thu 11-Oct-18 22:07:49

Ah, lemongrove, you have explained it.

I am going to have to stop complaining about my least favourite shop. I went to M&S last week, as a last resort, after not being able to find anything suitable anywhere for a dressy occasion happening soon and came out with some beautiful bottle green velvet trousers. The rest of the outfit then suddenly came together.

Mad2016 Fri 12-Oct-18 09:49:16

What a sad response- she’s a young woman why should she look like the Queen?

Coconut Fri 12-Oct-18 09:52:39

She would look stunning in a bin bag !

Tuppence21 Fri 12-Oct-18 10:21:28

So pleased Nannylovesshopping that you called her the Duchess of Cambridge! I am so tired of people calling her Kate Middleton! Even on the Gransnet daily update. Kate is the Duchess if Cambridge and Meghan is the Duchess of Sussex NOT Meghan Markle! Rant over! ?

Aepgirl Fri 12-Oct-18 10:33:20

I'm with you, Tuppence21. I've given up calling my local radio station every time they call these lovely ladies by their maiden names.

As for fashion: you can't please all .........

Saggi Fri 12-Oct-18 11:11:56

The only title I use for folk is Mr and Ms. Total waste of space ...royals and titles. Unnecessary !

mabon1 Fri 12-Oct-18 11:16:02

This lady is the Duchess of Cambridge, her sister in law is The Duchess of Sussex. I am no royalist but please give them their correct titles.

leeds22 Fri 12-Oct-18 11:24:44

I thought she looked fabulous. Not sure what those stilettos did for the parquet flooring though.

sweetcakes Fri 12-Oct-18 11:31:32

Really the Duchess of Cambridge cannot win can she! what ever she wears it's wrong.
I to hate it when the media calls them by their maiden names so disrespectful. But I do like Princess Eugenie wedding gown tasteful and elegant.

Brunette10 Fri 12-Oct-18 12:19:39

Princess Eugenie's wedding dress is aboslutely gorgeous. She is so elegant. So demure I thought.

ReadyMeals Fri 12-Oct-18 15:08:26

Sweetcakes, I don't care so much about disrespectful but I do expect our media to be accurate, since they have such influence, and using the wrong names is not accurate.

M0nica Fri 12-Oct-18 16:00:25

Strange how a woman, with a history of bad taste, should, on her wedding day, look so elegant and the bridesmaids likewise. I think she looked so much more elegant than the Duchess of Sussex earlier this year, and the Duchess looked good, even if her dress was a bit ill fitting across the front.

Mad, you misunderstood me. I do not think the Duchess of Cambridge should dress like the Queen, I was merely saying that if this dress is a guide to what she chooses to wear when she tries to break out of of that Queenly, somewhat staid style she usually adopts. I think she would be better off sticking to the old style. This dress is dreadful. It would be nice to see her dress elegantly and her age. This dress is neither.

dogsmother Fri 12-Oct-18 16:46:04

I concur, she really suited that dress.

lemongrove Fri 12-Oct-18 16:50:14

I thought Eugenie looked great, a really lovely wedding dress,a wonderful shape and very elegant.
I think she looked much better than Meghan who is much too thin ( as is Kate.)
Eugenie looks as if she would be fun to be with, unlike most of the RF.

KazzaK Fri 12-Oct-18 17:03:39

Reminded me of when Diana, Princess of Wales got married. Her clothes and style were legendary but I wasn’t impressed with her wedding dress, far too fussy. Then Sarah, Duchess of York married Prince Andrew. Sarah was not known for her dress sense but I thought her wedding dress far outshone Diana’s. Likewise Megan’s wedding dress I thought was so so but Eugenie looked lovely

HannahLoisLuke Fri 12-Oct-18 22:47:58

I've missed this photo of the Duchess of Cambridge at the V&A so will see if I can find it. I think she always looks elegant and appropriately dressed if a little stuffy, I prefer the Duchess of Sussex's style so am curious to see if Kate is adopting a younger look.
As for the names I so agree. Remember how the press insisted on calling the Princess of Wales Lady Di till the end of her life. Made me cringe.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 12-Oct-18 22:59:56

Just found some photos and I love the dress, but the shoes are all wrong. She needs to team that dress with ankle boots with a lower chunkier help as it was shown on the catwalk.
Those high heeled courts just frump up the look.

GreenGran78 Sat 13-Oct-18 00:30:49

mabon1 Credit where it's due for an upbeat remark!