Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

I can't use make-up brushes

(7 Posts)
HillyN Tue 30-Oct-18 20:04:11

I seem to be sensitive to the bristles in make-up brushes; whenever I use them my skin starts to 'prickle' and itch. I use a sponge applicator for foundation and my fingertips for just about everything else! I find it hard apply eye shadow and blusher so that they look natural. Any tips for alternatives to brushes?

Melanieeastanglia Tue 30-Oct-18 20:11:48

I always use my fingertips. I never feel the need to use anything else but I admit I don't wear eye make up much.

Willow500 Tue 30-Oct-18 20:30:17

You can buy packs of sponge applicators for eyeshadow too - places like Superdrug or Boots do them.

Cherrytree59 Tue 30-Oct-18 20:51:14

Cotton buds?

Squiffy Tue 30-Oct-18 20:59:01

Are the brushes that you’ve used made of natural bristles or man-made? Ironically, despite using only all natural makeup, I find natural bristles irritate my skin. The softest and gentlest brushes I use are man-made from Wilkinsons, believe it or not! They’re very cheap, too!

HillyN Wed 31-Oct-18 18:41:36

Thanks for that suggestion, Squiffy, I'm not sure what my brushes are made from though. I had the same problem when I had a professional make-up done for my DD's wedding; she used her own brushes and I was itching within minutes. I expect she used 'good'/expensive brushes, so maybe Wilkinsons would be better!

Willow500, that's very useful to know too, I'll look out for them. I find the sponge applicators that come with eyeshadows don't last long. I have tried cotton buds, Cherrytree but they seem to absorb a lot of the shadow and don't apply it very evenly.

Thanks everyone.

BlueBelle Wed 31-Oct-18 19:26:10

I ve never used brushes they seem unnecessary to me Well I do use a mascara brush if that counts but I only wear foundation in the winter just put it on with my fingers and don’t use powder or eye shadow My granddaughters’ all seem to have dozens of the things in every shape size and colour