Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

SNIT

(13 Posts)
HillyN Sat 10-Nov-18 23:46:33

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the word snit means when used to describe tops/tunics as sold by Bonmarche, Matalan and other retailers, please?

notnecessarilywiser Sun 11-Nov-18 08:03:39

1966mag.com/abercrombie-finch-introduces-the-snit/

travelsafar Sun 11-Nov-18 08:06:27

Followed the link and viewed the clothing, basically anything that looks like it's come out of the 'ragbag' lol smile

Auntieflo Sun 11-Nov-18 09:22:09

Precisely travelsafar.
I looked it up and the picture of a raggedy garment, was topped and tailed by an advert for ‘cleaning your gutters’
Should have read ‘cleaning your specs’
What a load of old tosh. Odd, unpressed, ragbag clothes.

oldbatty Sun 11-Nov-18 09:31:53

go Auntieflo, theres's nothing like a nicely pressed Country Casuals blouse and a quality Windsmoor skirt.

Fennel Sun 11-Nov-18 09:35:32

What rubbish!
Similar to the fashion for jeans with horizontal splits in the legs.

ninathenana Sun 11-Nov-18 09:35:50

travelsafar perfect description.

MiniMoon Sun 11-Nov-18 09:54:12

"A style that embodies an effortless, carefree attitude" . In other words, a lazy besom, who can't be bothered to iron her clothes! ?

HillyN Sun 11-Nov-18 15:05:01

Thanks everyone.
I wasn't impressed by the clothes either but I wondered if it was a new type of fabric that I hadn't met before, maybe knitted with an 'S' stitch as in 's k nit'! It reminded me of the rolls of stockinette my DH used to buy to clean the car. grin

Auntieflo Sun 11-Nov-18 16:03:51

I once made a Topsy-Turvy dolly out of stockinette.

Perhaps that is what you have to do. One way up = Raggedy Anna, all wrinkled and unpressed, turned over, inside out, she becomes a smartly turned out, ironed to within an inch of her life, Beauty Queen. grin

Auntieflo Sun 11-Nov-18 16:06:31

Oldbatty, Country Casuals blouse, Windsmoor skirt!!
You haven’t seen me, (have you?)

M0nica Sun 11-Nov-18 19:09:00

Just a fancy name for sweaters made out of cheap T shirt material. Can be sold for pennys and thrown away after one wear. I wouldn't risk putting one in the washing machine, it would just fall apart.

GrandmaKT Sun 11-Nov-18 21:17:27

Ha! I had a cardigan that looked like those a few years ago (must be ahead of my time smile.
My mother said, "Are you seriously thinking of going out wearing that shroud?"