Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Can I mend my fingernail?

(12 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Thu 15-Nov-18 18:46:59

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be trying at least some of them, and hope to get past the point where the nail is just splitting all the time.

Thank you smile

PamelaJ1 Mon 12-Nov-18 21:48:13

A quick fix is to put micro pore on the nail and reinforce with a couple of drops of nail glue. Then a couple of coats of polish.
It depends on how bad the split is and what you do with your hands but just having a clear gel polish on that finger could help.

Melanieeastanglia Mon 12-Nov-18 20:43:46

Try two coats of clear nail varnish. I am not saying it will mend the nail but it might protect it and I think the appearance might be improved.

Good luck!

grannysyb Mon 12-Nov-18 19:58:33

My nails were very bad, splitting, flaking and breaking. They seem to be improving now I apply cutical oil (from pound shop!) twice a day followed by hand cream.

Agus Mon 12-Nov-18 17:46:09

As I don’t like wearing gardening gloves my nails suffer dreadfully, splitting/brittle. I now use a product called Rejuvacote which after cleaning nails I apply 1 coat as a base then colour followed by another coat of Rejuv. Apply a top coat of Rejuv. each day for the following 6 days.

My nails are now virtually unbreakable and one of the best products I have found to stop damaging my nails. I buy it from Amazon

Hope this helps HurdyGurdy

crystaltipps Mon 12-Nov-18 15:46:49

I had this but now get my nails done with gel polish at the nail bar. It has to be redone every3 - 4 weeks so a commitment, but your nails always look good. My nails are much stronger with the gel than without, but you do have to have them do it and take it off for you so it’s a bit of a faff.

Scribbles Mon 12-Nov-18 15:37:20

I've had this problem on one of my nails for some years and now I find it's developing on another one. Nothing I've tried even begins to fix it and I dimly recall my paternal grandmother having similar 'fault lines' on most of her nails so perhaps it's a genetic thing. However, I do take regular tablets for hypertension and I think I read somewhere that these medicines can be the cause of fingernail ridges.

Sorry, I'm not much help but after a few years of nail nourishing creams, paint on nail hardener and extra calcium I decided just to live with it.

silverlining48 Mon 12-Nov-18 15:33:03

Also bought nail repair glue in boots.

silverlining48 Mon 12-Nov-18 15:32:07

I looked at repairing nails on u tube and they suggested using a new tea bag cut to size, placed on broken nail and painted with clear varnish. Allow to dry, gently file as required, paint again and then top coat with whatever colour you want. There are other suggestions but many involve tea bags. Without the tea.

SpringyChicken Mon 12-Nov-18 15:13:36

Why not ask at a beauty salon/nail bar? They must come across all sorts of nail problems.

tanith Mon 12-Nov-18 15:10:01

I had this on my thumb it came after a fungal infection which cleared up but I was left with two splits. Like you unless I kept it short it was forever splitting and breaking off at the corner of the nail.
I’ve had it for ages but persevere with using a clear varnish thickly applied to protect the nail, keeping it short and sanding the ridges down and at the moment I cannot see a split at all but I’m still keeping it short to give it a chance to strengthen. It’s a case of patience and crossing fingers I think. Good luck ?

HurdyGurdy Mon 12-Nov-18 14:22:37

I have got a linear fault running the length of one of my fingernails.

This means that as soon as it gets to any reasonable length, the nail splits down the fault line. I'm forever catching clothes on it and having to cut it very far back.

Is this fixable? I don't remember this fault appearing or if I'd done anything to start it off. If I run a finger over the nail, I can feel a definite ridge.

Is it fixable, do you think? If so, what would I need to do, or am I stuck with it?