Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Calling all hairdressers!

(56 Posts)
supermum48 Sun 25-Nov-18 11:55:39

Hi everybody, I have worn my hair in a medium length bob for some time. I have it trimmed every 6 weeks the same length all round and blow it under. Recently this has become a problem! One annoying little bit of hair at the back refuses to go under and stay going under whatever I do. Anybody with hairdressing knowledge out there who could advise?

Smiley4 Tue 27-Nov-18 06:29:19

No hairdressing knowledge sorry. But I do have a very similar style to you and my hair is a nightmare.
No doubt you’ve used products on it.
Sorry I don’t have a solution for you, just empathy. X

Gagagran Tue 27-Nov-18 07:21:37

Can't you just roll it under with a brush and hairspray it in place?

merlotgran Tue 27-Nov-18 09:23:06

My neat bob started to do that. One side developed a mind of its own so my hairdresser changed the style to a layered bob. It's so much easier to look after as I CBA to faff about with brushes and straighteners.

supermum48 Tue 27-Nov-18 10:38:36

Have tried that Gagagran. It goes under initially, then reverts to doing its own thing!
Interesting idea merlotgran. Have always found layers more difficult to cope with in the past. Is it just layered at the bottom?
Thank you for the empathy Smiley4.

Kim19 Tue 27-Nov-18 10:41:31

Consider having a new style short term? Worked for me. If your hair grows reasonably quickly you can soon revert if wished.

Yorkshiregirl Tue 27-Nov-18 11:02:51

Have a graduated bob, which is shorter at the back and shaped into the neck. More on trend too

Craftycat Tue 27-Nov-18 11:10:45

My bob has a recalcitrant lock at the side that refuses to stay under. I thought I was alone!

Mapleleaf Tue 27-Nov-18 11:36:52

Seems many of us have a problem with wilful hair!??
Mine starts misbehaving about a week after visiting the hairdresser, yet I've had quite a few compliments lately, so maybe I'm inadvertently in fashion! ?

Lostmyglassesxx Tue 27-Nov-18 11:40:58

My hair does completely different things on each side
Have a style that doesn’t need to be symmetrical..look up wavy bobs.. you just tong a few waves in and it’s all sorted ..

BonnieBlooming Tue 27-Nov-18 11:52:31

I was also going to suggest a graduated bob. I have one and it's much easier to manage than all one length. The layers at the back will take care of your flicky out bit!

mabon1 Tue 27-Nov-18 12:02:00

If that's your only problem lucky you.

Shelagh6 Tue 27-Nov-18 12:06:02

Tongs perhaps - straighteners

Nanna58 Tue 27-Nov-18 12:21:19

Aargh Mabon1 you strike again with your heavy handed seriousness!

gransruleok Tue 27-Nov-18 13:04:46

A very smart friend told me that if you want your hair to change direction, you have to put a little water on the root end. It works- try it.

David1968 Tue 27-Nov-18 13:07:46

My bob hairstyle includes a fringe - this has a "kink" which pops up at every opportunity and can only be tamed with straighteners. (In any rain/damp, it always returns.) I've given up worrying about this, and I prefer to think of it a something "individual" which makes me, me!

Edithb Tue 27-Nov-18 13:26:28

I had a sane length bob for years until I decided to grow it and told my hairdresser I didn’t want it too thick at the ends as it would stick out, so she put some layers in and I love it!

merlotgran Tue 27-Nov-18 13:36:21

Long layers all the way down, supermum. I can either blow dry it into a bob shape or just 'fluff it up'. The wild look seems to suit me these days. grin

I find it looks and behaves better about two weeks after a cut.

Lancslass1 Tue 27-Nov-18 14:03:59

I had a bob for years.
My hair is very thick and one day I got so fed up with the time it was taking me to get right each time I went out I asked the hairdresser to cut it short.
She did ,all over
Result -it became wavy all over and now doesn't need setting.

EmilyHarburn Tue 27-Nov-18 14:56:15

My friend pays for a Brazilian blow dry, when she can afford it. the effects last 4 months but I believe it is expensive.

www.treatwell.co.uk/treatment/ladies-brazilian-blow-dry/

Magrithea Tue 27-Nov-18 15:02:11

supermum48 have you tried hair straighteners? I use mine on my medium length, blow dried under bob to tame the bits that have a 'mind of their own'! I also try and dry hair in sections/layers, not as well as my hairdresser but it helps

Lilypops Tue 27-Nov-18 15:21:22

Mabon, if you can't say anything nice , don't bother !!

GabriellaG Tue 27-Nov-18 15:40:19

I've recently found my perfect hairdresser. Collar length hair cut and restyled into quite short layers from just below crown to the nape, longer hair swept over and a sort of side parting of longer hair over to one side, tucked behind my ears. Subtle flashes in shades of reddish brown over darker brown...I love it. Easy to maintain and I can alter the style slightly to make it curly (curling wand)
I hope she never leaves. We women can be quite precious about our hairstylist, can't we? It takes sooo long to find someone who makes your hair look fabulous.
Mine is like silk, having had it washed and roots done this morning with a hair masque covered with a hot towel whilst I lay back in the massage chair. Absolute bliss. grin

GabriellaG Tue 27-Nov-18 15:44:55

Mind you...the L'Oreal shampoo (no parabens or sulphates) is £42 shock and conditioner but they had it at half price today. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 27-Nov-18 15:56:42

Mine tends towards the wild look too; I've never been able to have a sleek bob because, even when I was young, it went under nicely at one side but flicked out on the other side no matter what I did.
As I've got older it's got more and more wavy but not in a nice way so the only way is short.

How I always longed for a sleek bob.