Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

CASHMERE

(32 Posts)
Hathori Fri 07-Dec-18 18:43:14

Where to get the nicest best quality cashmere knitwear?

MawBroon Fri 07-Dec-18 18:57:34

(I suspect an ad coming along soon.)
Look at Pure, any the high end stores or at the other end of the market, Uniqlo and M&S

mumofmadboys Fri 07-Dec-18 19:10:15

The cashmere jumpers in M and S looked nice the other day but I know I tend to cook/ wash up in anything I wear so tend to stick to cheaper ones.

Chewbacca Fri 07-Dec-18 19:13:02

Think you might be right Maw.

mcem Fri 07-Dec-18 19:24:27

A sweepstake on how many posts until maw's prediction comes about?
Or is that suggestion enough to nip it in the bud?

Elegran Fri 07-Dec-18 19:54:06

Have you tried looking online for "cashmere reviews", Hathori? It will take you a bit more work, but you'll get far more hits that way than asking us, and you'll know that no-one is just sending you to their own cashmere-selling website, too. Unfortunately, there are unscrupulous sellers around who take advantage of this (and other) social networking website and use it as a spamming marketing tool.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Dec-18 20:42:58

FFS Google Cashmere onesies!! (Apologies for language having a stressful evening)

Feelingmyage55 Fri 07-Dec-18 21:12:51

Johnston’s of Elgin.

Hathori Fri 07-Dec-18 21:50:04

Oh sorry! I didn't realise people advertised in here. I didn't think of googling reviews either. sad Thank you all x

Elegran Fri 07-Dec-18 22:03:25

Well, they don't advertise, Hathori, or they are not supposed to - it is not allowed. However, sometimes people do break the rules, and find their post deleted and their membership terminated.

Pythagorus Fri 07-Dec-18 22:34:32

Don’t know about best quality ...... but M and S cashmere is good. Especially good value in the sales.

Hathori Sat 08-Dec-18 15:29:57

TY Elegran. Pythagorus, I read a few bad reviews on M&S or else I'd have gone straight for them.

grannysue05 Sat 08-Dec-18 15:57:40

Try Woolovers.
They have a discount offer on at the moment.
Their quality is good and they tend to be cheaper.
I have bought a few nice cashmere jumpers from them and they wash really well.

Thingmajig Sat 08-Dec-18 16:36:57

I had woolover.co.uk recommended to me recently. My friend says she has bought a few items from them, all great quality and long-lasting. I've only had a look so far, but the prices seem really excellent for real wool and cashmere ... no doubt I'll cave in soon and buy something! grin

oldbatty Sat 08-Dec-18 16:55:57

Onesies are banned.

glammanana Sat 08-Dec-18 17:10:37

Mr glamma has bought from Woolovers for many years and is very impressed with the quality of his sweaters he has purchased they have all washed well far better quality than M&S.

EllanVannin Sat 08-Dec-18 17:20:37

Alpaca's my fave. Luscious and warm and long lasting.

MargaretX Sat 08-Dec-18 17:39:14

I have an old cashmere jacket bought at a secondhand market. It came from Harrods and is made of 4ply yarn.
the present jumpers are made from 2 ply yarn or even thinner.
My jacket warms me up when its cold and keeps me cool when the weather turns warm. I only wish it were more fashionable!
I would go for good quality or find a good wool garment.
Somehow I don't trust M&S.

Hathori Sat 08-Dec-18 20:53:28

Not keen on M&S they are not as they used to be. I have several Woolovers tops and they are ok but not terrific, but it's a thought. TY ladies.

NotAGran55 Sat 08-Dec-18 21:09:19

Brora quality is wonderful but it comes at a price .

MaizieD Sat 08-Dec-18 21:45:57

M & S used to do a good range of classic cashmere at a reasonable price but I don't much like what they're offering this year so I've bought polo necks and round necks from Woolovers (on offer!). I don't think they're quite such good quality but they're soft and warm and wash well. The colour range is a bit restricted. It all depends on what you're looking for, really.

I love cashmere but I don't think I could afford anything more expensive sad

Warning: I did try a Wollovers lambswool sweater but I find it very scratchy, not as soft as the range that M & S used to offer (but don't any more..)

allsortsofbags Sun 09-Dec-18 00:13:47

We have some very old cashmere from Jaeger, Edinburgh Woollen Mill, Johnson of Elgin, Woolovers and Pure.

All have washed well and wear well, OH did manage to put the elbow through on one but he wore it for a good few years before that happened. The jackets and coats have dry cleaned well too.

I have a couple of M&S jumpers but not sure about the ones in the shops now as the quality isn't the same. Oh and I did get a nice one from Tesco's a couple of years back.

The sales should be starting soon and that's where I usually get mine.

The Johnson's of Elgin and Jaeger things stand out for me in both durability and quality.

Good Luck in your search.

Oh and just so we are clear I can't wear wool and I have been collecting cashmere for over 40 years and I am still wearing some of them so they were a good investment.

Marydoll Sun 09-Dec-18 00:23:12

I absolutely love cashmere, but it is too expensive to buy here.
I stock up every year at the market in Rome. You can find lots of samples from well known makes from people like, "Johnstons of Elgin, if you have the patience to rake and DH is now well trained.
Of course not everyone can go to Rome to source them, but I bought two beautiful ponchos this time for €20 each.
I find the M&S styles can be a bit old fashioned, but the ones I find abroad are more modern in styling.

phoenix Sun 09-Dec-18 00:27:16

Mr P has a couple of Woolover cardigans, bought not long ago, and each has only been washed once, but the stitching around the button holes has started to go. sad

Chewbacca Sun 09-Dec-18 00:41:20

I've had a couple of cashmere cardigans but I'm rubbish at laundering them and they soon looked dreadful. Waste of money for me really. sad maybe Marydoll would volunteer for me