Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wow , I saw a lady today.....

(136 Posts)
oldbatty Mon 10-Dec-18 18:09:23

size 18 ish maybe? An older lady with shoulder length grey hair wearing, a pleated checked skirt ( mostly greys), knee length boots, a grey top with a checked woolen poncho, a soft grey beret and orange lipstick.

It looked brilliant.

merlotgran Mon 10-Dec-18 21:52:53

Unlike the huddled masses in their beige raincoats.

That'll be me then grin

lemongrove Mon 10-Dec-18 21:58:40

tchgrin

lemongrove Mon 10-Dec-18 21:59:15

I think Columbo put me off beige raincoats for life!

GillT57 Mon 10-Dec-18 23:01:29

She sounds effortlessly stylish oldbatty and I envy her!. Some people (my late mother included) just have a way of owning it. I do try......but just don't quite manage it

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Dec-18 23:04:40

Sorry, but a beret always looks a bit mad on an older person IMHO.
Oh dear!
My friend knitted me one which I love.
It will now be passed to one of the DGD lemongrove

(see what I mean about never getting it right? grin)

trisher Mon 10-Dec-18 23:16:32

If you can't look a bit mad when you are older then whenever can you? Don't ditch the beret Jalima1108 wear it and flaunt it. Otherwise you are in danger of slipping into the boring old lady in beige category. If I have to choose between 'a bit mad" and "bloody boring" I'd go for the mad every time. It's the wearing purple with a red hat scenario. Start now before it's too late! grin

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Dec-18 23:19:41

It does have a bit of purple in it - it's good to wear purple grin

Jalima1108 Mon 10-Dec-18 23:20:34

I do have some French genes - perhaps I should string some onions round my neck too.

Day6 Mon 10-Dec-18 23:36:11

I’m a size 12 and always look like a bag of slack

Oh gillybob, that made me laugh, but I bet you don't. I envy you your size.

Must admit*oldbatty*, older women who look chic and stylish do catch my eye. It looks so effortless. Some women have such style, without slavishly following fashion. They just know what to put together.

I as with relatives this last weekend, celebrating, and was complimented and told by several women that I looked lovely. That will keep me going for the next few months, ha ha, but normally I often hope no one will knock the door when I am having an at home slobbing out day! grin

MissAdventure Tue 11-Dec-18 00:15:16

I nip round the shop in my slippers sometimes. blush

merlotgran Tue 11-Dec-18 00:27:41

grin MissA

I once drove to the village shop in my slippers. As if that wasn't bad enough when I got out I spotted a half full mug of tea still balanced on the roof of the car.

Well, it is flat on the fens. shock

hdh74 Tue 11-Dec-18 01:00:08

Bloomin heck you must drive well and brake smoothly merlotgran. I once drove off and saw my handbag sailing through the air off the roof through the rear mirror...

oldbatty Tue 11-Dec-18 08:30:31

I am a beige,baggy,batty. Miss A shopping in slippers? It'll be Asda in pyjamas next.

KatyK Tue 11-Dec-18 09:47:01

There was a lady at the bus stop a while ago. She was tall and slim. She had her hair done, lovely make up, was wearing black patent shoes with little heels, a love check suit and a black beret. There was an elderly chap moaning and groaning about his aches and pains. He announced 'I'm 80.' This lady smiled and said 'oh are you? I'm 90'. She was amazing.

olive2709 Tue 11-Dec-18 10:40:22

I had bright blue in my hair last year needed cheering up. I loved it ,so back to my pixey cut couple of weeks ago so next week having hair painted a rich blue , because I want .

GrandmaPam Tue 11-Dec-18 10:41:17

What I picked up on here is the grey hair...reading through the comments, it does bother me that the general consensus is that grey hair = short hair. I went white when in my 20s, and after a few years of colouring, gave up. I love the colour of my hair, and it is often commented on. I don't dress like a grey-haired lady (I'm 65) and never have done, so people are often surprised at my age. I have had my hair long and short over the years, and as long as its in good nick, there's no issue. People need to get over it...

EthelJ Tue 11-Dec-18 10:49:10

I always look messy, can't seem to do chic or even smart casual. Even though I get my hair done every 6 weeks it always looks messy and I can never seem to get clothes that look good on me. Also I've never really got the hang of putting make up on properly. Guess I never will now! smile

Kim19 Tue 11-Dec-18 10:55:27

I always appreciate style and particularly colour co-ordination. I think I've managed chic in my day but elegance has confounded me because of a huge lack of inches. I'm became happily resigned when my husband said he was glad because, had I been taller, I wouldn't have looked at him. He was short but wonderful with it.

Kernowflock Tue 11-Dec-18 10:56:14

Like you, I struggle with style. I see someone and think wow. But me, just never seem to get it right.

mabon1 Tue 11-Dec-18 10:59:22

What's wrong with being size 18ish. I am flabbergasted that anyone could write a comment like that, who do you think you are?

Eskay10 Tue 11-Dec-18 11:00:53

There are some great videos on YouTube showing mature ladies how to wear colour, how to wear a scarf, and how to wear makeup. The differences between before and after are amazing and well worth seeing. Some foundation, lipstick and mascara never goes amiss.

harrigran Tue 11-Dec-18 11:01:57

My sister is 78 and always wears a beret in the winter, she also wears a stylish scarf and a Burberry coat. She does not look at all mad or frumpish but she does have a blonde bob rather than long grey hair. I, on the other hand, look like a bag lady even in the most expensive clothes.

MawBroon Tue 11-Dec-18 11:15:20

I do think it so often comes down to colour and being adventurous.
I have recently replaced a duffle coat and went for navy. Nowt wrong with that but I could have had bright deep raspberry or gold but I found myself thinking which would be more sensible and practical. [sad

oldbatty Tue 11-Dec-18 11:24:06

Nobody has said there is anything wrong with any size. I was trying to provide a visual image .please do not be rude to me mabon.you are not the only one facing challenges.

Kim19 Tue 11-Dec-18 11:24:27

I'm seldom without a hat. Usually cap style but push the boat out sometimes on a Sunday and certainly for weddings. The number of people who say 'I don't suit hats/feel self conscious/wish I had your courage' is amazing. Why? My reason is practical. It keeps my head warm. Actually think I've caused a weakness in that my head feels decidedly cold without one. With regards to Maw's 'sensible', my Mum used to say 'be colour bright. The weather takes care of dull and drab'. So true.