Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mascara

(74 Posts)
overthehill Fri 21-Dec-18 09:37:49

I've come to the conclusion that there is no point paying more for mascara as they all apear the same.

I lashed out £13 on a No.7 one yesterday and decided it is no better than the far cheaper Rimmel one I have just finished.

I did once buy a chanel one and was of same opinion of that, but never really learnt my lesson.

The only thing I do prefer is a thin brush and my purchase does have that. However my eyelashes look no longer or thicker than they ever do.

Labaik Fri 21-Dec-18 09:56:41

I've always used L'Oreal's 'Voluminous' with just a bit of any old cheap waterproof one over the top. Doesn't have a really thin brush, though.

Maggiemaybe Fri 21-Dec-18 10:04:47

I’ve used Max Factor’s 2000 Calories mascara for years, because it’s really effective and doesn’t run. I’m not sure the brush could be described as thin though.

J52 Fri 21-Dec-18 10:27:06

I have eyes that are sensitive to many mascaras and find that Clinique Lash Power the best.
It has a thin brush with no nasty fibres to clog together.
It comes off easily with make up remover.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Dec-18 10:28:12

Boots number 17 'va va voom' is the best I've had.
It stays put, doesn't flake, irritate or smudge.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Dec-18 10:37:55

I've got thin, sparse lashes but I discovered Lancome Hypnose mascara a couple of years ago. The shape of the brush makes it much easier to catch those tiny little lashes in the corners of the eye. It never clumps nor flakes and is easy to wash off at the end of the day. Wouldn't use any other now. Not the cheapest but I think it's worth every penny.

EllanVannin Fri 21-Dec-18 13:29:31

Because I'm not a make-up kind of person and on the odd occasion I've used mascara I've clean forgotten that I have used it and as a consequence inadvertently rubbed my eyes at some point and ended up looking like a panda.
I tend to use too much when I do wear it. Useless is the word.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Dec-18 13:41:20

Chewbacca, another vote for Lancôme Hypnose mascara, wouldn't dream of using anything else. It often comes with extras, like makeup remover, etc, the one I bought in November came with 3 mini mascaras.

tinaf1 Fri 21-Dec-18 15:44:20

Because I had a problem with my eyes keep watering and every mascara I tried seemed to make it worse I managed to get some block mascara from Amazon, which I found helped.
There is a website called Extreme Makeup as well which sells this type of mascara

Pittcity Fri 21-Dec-18 15:59:38

I too suffer from panda eyes when using mascara, so I use lash dye every couple of weeks instead.

Marydoll Fri 21-Dec-18 16:58:09

Clinique Lash Power for me too. I have very sensitive eyes and that is the only mascara which doesn't irritate.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Dec-18 16:59:37

I miss outdoor girl mascara, but they only do it in blue these days.

Blinko Fri 21-Dec-18 17:01:54

I've searched high and low for a grey mascara. I look like someone in drag if I wear black. The alternative seems to be brown, but it doesn't suit my colouring. Any advice gratefully received....

FlexibleFriend Fri 21-Dec-18 17:07:38

I'm currently using Maybelline Colossal which doesn't really describe it very well. It has a large tapered brush but defines my lashes really well, it doesn't pick up masses of mascara with each dip of the brush which is good as it means I don't have to scrape lots back off. It lengthens, separates and defines my lashes I really like it, think I paid less than a tenner. I wear black mascara and black kohl so can't help with grey I'm dark haired.

FlexibleFriend Fri 21-Dec-18 17:09:24

Actually Amazon has grey Mascara.

Nanabilly Fri 21-Dec-18 17:32:39

My dil loves the 2000 calorie one too.
I have tried allsorts and agree most of them are the same . I really did not like the Bobbi Brown one though.
I do prefer a black/ brown one but find it more difficult to get now.

Jessity Fri 21-Dec-18 17:36:08

Another vote here for Lancôme Hypnose

Blinko Sat 22-Dec-18 09:46:41

Thanks FF. I'll give Amazon a try.

M0nica Sun 23-Dec-18 08:24:56

I have on over sensitive skin and I am allergic to the preservatives used in most main stream cosmetic brands.

I use Lavera, an organic brand, that does not use parabens or the chemicals associated with allergies and reactions.

Lilypops Sun 23-Dec-18 09:12:45

I am a fan also of Lancome Hypnose mascara, I got 3 mini mascara so last week when I bought a full size one , I think it was a Christmas offer .

NanaPlenty Sun 23-Dec-18 10:15:36

I'm a bit sensitive and my lashes are very sparse due to hypothyroid. I have a nightmare with mascaras, waterproof or otherwise I always end up with smudges under my eyes after a couple of hours! Anyone have any tips please? I love having Russian lashes applied but too expensive to keep having them done.

BonnieBlooming Sun 23-Dec-18 10:20:27

I use No 7 Extreme Lash waterproof. Doesn't smudge or flake. Goes on well (thin brush) and does a good job. I tend to buy it when Boots are giving their money if vouchers!

4allweknow Sun 23-Dec-18 10:28:51

Maybelline for me. Tried several makes over the years but all the same no matter the cost. Just finished No7 at over £10 - rubbish. I prefer waterproof as I to suffer from dry eye. Maybelline in the original pink package or the chubby light blue works for me. Both have slim brushes.

Caro57 Sun 23-Dec-18 10:30:55

makeup counters have disposable brushes now (for demos etc.) I have always found them happy to hand out one or two. They can be bent at the join of brush to stem and are great for getting in the awkward corners to pick up the lashes lurking there - can be washed to maintain cleanliness too

Sparklefairydust Sun 23-Dec-18 10:44:58

Like Blinko black mascara is much too dark for me and makes me look washed out. I don't wear make up every day but like to if I'm going somewhere. I also have "wet" eyes, wind, sun etc., makes my eyes stream so it must be good waterproof mascara, they are all black though! Why can't manufacturers understand that we don't all want black!