Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Marionette lines

(28 Posts)
Lilypops Mon 07-Jan-19 11:38:36

Now in my 72 year, I have noticed that the lines either side of my mouth are deeper, in fact on one side where the folds of skin touch it is a bit irritated /sore, I am thinking ,would fillers help this, Do any GN ,s have these, have you had fillers or know of any one who has,I don't really want to start something that I will have to get done often as it would be too costly , Any advice out there please,

Teetime Mon 07-Jan-19 11:41:23

I think you are probably talking about fillers or you could just go with it and have a few facials, a good skincare regime and some new make up. You family and friends probably like you as you are. As far as I know fillers are pricey, painful and dont last.

Lilypops Mon 07-Jan-19 11:54:42

Thankyou Teetime, yes I know it would be costly, but if it was say, a yearly top up I could manage that,yes my family do say Mum you look fine but it,s just me seeing them every day and also the sore bit around my mouth , I am using Sudocrem at the moment and it does give a lightening effect ,maybe regular facials as you suggested, I think once I am out again on the golf course I will forget about it, ?

paddyann Mon 07-Jan-19 13:01:10

since I lost weight I have marionette lines that weren't there before.I would be interested in the fillers if theres anyone who can give me information that would be great ,thanks

Lilypops Mon 07-Jan-19 16:08:20

Paddyann. Hello, I have looked up online Marionette lines and treatments ,advice on fillers and what effects , obviously all the photos look fabulous , it,s not something to be taken likely , and of course there is the cost of the upkeep , some can last a couple of years, some only months,

Izabella Mon 07-Jan-19 16:27:06

Well today I learned what Marionette lines are grin

rockgran Mon 07-Jan-19 16:43:28

Luckily Marionette lines are easy to photoshop out of photos - so satisfying and not at all painful! (I don't do painful!) Otherwise- it helps to keep smiling as this lifts them a bit.

kittylester Mon 07-Jan-19 16:53:21

Lilypops, if you have a sore bit round your mouth, it might be worth checking with your pharmacist, gp or dentist that it isn't an infection.

Sparklefizz Mon 07-Jan-19 16:53:29

A friend had fillers on her marionette lines and I could not see any difference at all. She seemed to think there was, but truly there was not. They cost her £500.

Lynne59 Mon 07-Jan-19 16:59:24

I was sick of my Marionette lines (they go from the corner of the mouth, and are called Marionette because when really bad, they make the person look like a ventriloquist's dummy).

I had fillers (Hyaluronic acid)a year ago, over 2 visits with a fortnight in between. The difference was really noticeable (people told me so), and I felt great. The cost was £700, and I was told the effects would last 9-12 months. After a year, my lines are back, but nowhere near as bad as before.

Bikerhiker Mon 07-Jan-19 17:04:48

Private hospitals that carry out these procedures hold open evenings. Have a look at Nuffield and Bupa. Very interesting and informative. They cover all sorts including fillers. I believe a longer lasting filler is in the form of your own fat transfer. If I were up for this I would only want a surgeon sticking needles in my face.
If you do go down this route please let us know how you get on.

Lilypops Mon 07-Jan-19 17:40:26

Thank you all for your comments / advice, Kitty , I will get the sore part checked by GP/ Dentist , Thankyou , I am giving it a lot of serious thought, I would hate to spend a huge amount of money and it not look much different or not last long,
Another website recommended using a face cream that has hyalorunic acid in it , will give that a try first , am thinking Olay Regenerist, it's a lot cheaper !

Dontaskme Tue 08-Jan-19 15:52:35

Lilypops in your 72nd year and just noticing clown lines - lucky you! I had mine done 2 years ago when I was still 59 and the results have been well worth it. They are coming back now and will get them done again. People have different opinions about this kind of procedure but I was so happy I took the plunge. Made me look less haggard, less tired and less miserable.
The only thing I would say is if you do decide to go ahead find someone who uses a facial catheter (think that's what its called) as this makes it all painless. I'm sure you'd do your research though smile

Lilypops Tue 08-Jan-19 16:00:56

Don't ask me, Thankyou , it's encouraging that you are happy with your results, do I understand it lasted two years,? that would be worthwhile, I will ask about the facial catheter , does that mean no needles? I look in the mirror and I think I look sad and miserable and I ,m not at all, but I just want to look the best for my age, I also have a sore irritated bit under the lines just on one side, and that would be nice to have fixed up so it doesn't come back,

Dontaskme Tue 08-Jan-19 17:13:46

Yes, Lilypops, I had it done 2 years ago and I still look much better than I did, but will be having them topped up soon. The Doctor did say that it varies person to person as to how long it lasts, and for once I was lucky smile
The catheter thing is a needle but it did not hurt, honestly. I have a friend who had it done without this and it was quite painful for her, so I'll make sure I have the same again next time.
It does cost a bit but people have their hair and nails done, wear make up and do other things to make themselves feel and look better, and to me this is the same.
Whatever you decided I wish you all the best smile

Lilypops Tue 08-Jan-19 17:51:58

Thankyou Don't ask me, I agree, we spend money on hair , nails, clothes , so if it makes you feel better about yourself, then why not , thanks for your good wishes, x

tiredoldwoman Tue 08-Jan-19 18:00:10

I've just seen a rather impressive exercise video for sagging faces . Have a look on line ! Free , no pain just regular small exercises a few minutes a day - well worth a try ! I'm going to give it a bash ..

lemongrove Tue 08-Jan-19 18:06:04

Marionette lines, like Angela Merkel!
It will be expensive, but you can have them filled, look for a reputable person to carry it out though, and read all reviews.

blondenana Thu 24-Jan-19 23:25:53

To lift marionette lines cheek fillers are best,i had them 3 weeks ago and its already made a difference,i am going for the second lot in 2 weeks,as my practitioner doesnt like doing them in one go to make sure not too much is put in at once,i was thrilled, but there was a very small bit of swelling and now its gone down, i can still see a difference, but waiting for the second lot as then it will be more noticeable [to me] they do lift you face a bit and i have no lines now,
I had them really as i have lost fat in my face,which people our age usually do,it just makes your face look a bit as it did before fat loss,they dont look like wedges as i have seen some do,they last about 18 months i am told,
If you do decide to have fillers ,make sure the person is a reputable surgeon or in my case a dentist,as they know where all your facial nerves are and know where NOT to inject, also dont have the filler placed too low,as it can make your face look heavy,have them where your cheekbones would be
I am so pleased and dont regret it
Also it wasnt painful at all, as strong numbing cream is applied about 20 minutes before,and the filler also has local anaesthetic in with it
I had it done by cannula
I stopped smoking about 5-6 years ago, so i feel this is my reward, and and feel i deserve to spend my money as i like now,i couldnt have afforded it when i smoked

Lilypops Thu 24-Jan-19 23:43:07

Hello Blondnana, your post is very reassuring and I am glad it has worked well for you, I am still dithering about having it done,mainly how long will fillers last, it could be expensive if I need to get it done 2/3 times a year, did your clinic give you anytime scales about how long , also, what did you mean by having it done by cannula? Is there a difference ?

blondenana Fri 25-Jan-19 09:57:48

I was told it could last for up to 18 months, but someone on mumsnet said she had it done and it lasted 2 years, maybe it depends on the person or how good the practitioner is, but i saw the difference immediately,it is supposed to help build collagen, but so many treatments these days say that, so will just have to wait and see
A cannula is inserted and the filler put through that,instead of having the needle put in more than once i think,its like what they use in hospitals to take blood or put fluids in, if you know what i mean but it was absolutely painless, you can feel a bit of prodding thats all,
I like that you can see the results straight away, but you wouldnt need it more than once a year at the most. i couldnt afford it if that was the case,
I feel it was worth it, but it was £400, and i didnt really want to spend so much,if it was not going to last,
It might be cheaper with dome practitioners, but this dentist was recommended to me and i felt it was worth it to get someone who was experienced and knows what they are doing
I would just shop around if i wee you, and get reviews if possible, and ask them to show you photos of people who they have worked on, some might say its patient confidentiality, but often they can show it withough showing full face
This lady showed me a photo of her mother in law who was 75, and it looked really good,
I am just a little older than you but its made a difference
I have had HIFU treatment in the past and found it a waste of money, again supposed to help build collagen gradually,i want to see results now and happier with this
You could google cannulas, and cheek fillers, a lot do it this way now, also no bruising whatsoever, a little tender for a few days thats all

blondenana Fri 25-Jan-19 23:41:11

Lilypops have a look at www.soliderma.com it shows all filler treatments including marionette lines,it will give you an idea of what they are like before and after

Grandma70s Sat 26-Jan-19 07:09:36

Keep smiling, accept you’re getting older and try to have the confidence to be comfortable in your own skin.

I’ve got them too, and I don’t much like them, but I wouldn’t dream of wasting my money on a procedure that may not even work well. People who love me love me whatever, and the others don’t matter. Still, it’s up to you.

blondenana Sat 26-Jan-19 10:10:47

Thats lovely Grandm70 if thats how you feel, but not everyone does, for various reasons, maybe a drop in self esteem due to relationship breakups,or illness,
As i said,i stopped smoking a few years ago, and dont spend money on much else,but i want to look the best i can, so this is the way i choose
I know we cant stop the ageing process, but looking old makes you feel old, and i dont feel my age until i look in the mirror, and most people i meet dont think i seem my my age anyway, because i am very active and bubbly
As it happens i have good health which is the most important thing of course, so i want to look as good as i feel,
I suppose it is vanity, but each to their own, and what works for themsmile

shysal Sat 26-Jan-19 10:29:39

I don't go near mirrors very often, and just had a look to see if I had these lines - I do! I have no complaint about looking my age, so no fillers for me.
Good luck if you decide to go ahead.