Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Apparently - Gender fluid fashion elevates men's looks!

(57 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Tue 08-Jan-19 17:02:32

For all you fashion conscious Grampy's out there ….

www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/style/how-gender-fluid-fashion-elevated-men’s-looks-at-the-golden-globes/ar-BBRXotw?ocid=spartanntp#image=2

I've added 2 of my favourites- Grampy has a birthday coming up soon and I can see him in the cape , out walking the dog !!

Is it wrong to say I like my men to wear a well cut suit ?

NanaandGrampy Wed 09-Jan-19 22:02:51

Lol no Helenonotion . And I’m with you on the whole lack of socks !!

I was thinking more this......

Helennonotion Thu 10-Jan-19 09:21:07

NanaandGrampy - Much better! I just find the short trouser look ever so slightly comedic! MissAdventure - I suppose it wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing! Maybe I just need to get used to it! Its quite sexist really, making fun of the leg length. Women are at liberty to wear whatever length we like, without anyone giving us a second glance!

Greyduster Thu 10-Jan-19 09:44:06

I am just sitting here trying to imagine DH in the bondage strap braces with underpants over his suit jacket. I think I’ll skip breakfast! He knows I have an absolute thing for good formal tailoring, but we had a conversation while sitting in GS’s school car park on Monday when a teacher came out wearing a three piece suit with a frill of shirt sticking out between the bottom of his straight edge waistcoat and a thick black belt that was holding up his trousers. I muttered. DH said “maybe he likes it that way. He wouldn’t poke his head through the car window and criticise what you wear!” In other words, if they want to look like **’s, let them!

Solitaire Thu 10-Jan-19 10:01:04

I like the look of narrow trousers and no socks. My grandson looks really good that way...but it's for the young.

Margs Thu 10-Jan-19 10:21:59

Perfect! Just the thing for that 'vital' job interview.

You would get the job too, looking like that, because it demonstrates that you must have determination and guts just to step out the front door.

Hoots!

Bobdoesit Thu 10-Jan-19 10:25:50

grin grin grin

Kim19 Thu 10-Jan-19 10:34:13

I'm another who gets pleasure from the sight of a 'well turned out' male. This is partly my age, I guess, and partly a military background. What I like is colourful but toning with maximum attention to shining shoe, clean shaven and cared for fingernails. One of my sons wears the same outfit all the time. The other clean but, in my opinion, somewhat scruffy. Haven't I done well! Love them both to distraction. Oh aye..........

4allweknow Thu 10-Jan-19 10:51:58

Okay for the entertainment business to turn up wearing ridiculous clothing but even they don't wear flamboyant clothing regularly. What I can never figure out is why so many females especially media/pop world wear such skimpy, revealing outfits yet males don't turn up wearing similar outfits eg tiny shorts, budgie smugglers, no shirts, leotard type outfits. I just cannot get my head round why females dress like they do when performing other than to detract from their terrible performance.

jenni123 Thu 10-Jan-19 11:05:59

If you want to see people wearing 'odd' flamboyant, strange modes of dress, come to Brighton, anything goes here. You always know the locals as we don't take any notice, if people are pointing, staring you know they are visitors to the City.

ajanela Thu 10-Jan-19 11:12:03

Fashion, just remember some of the things we have worn over the years. With a plain good cut suit they may not have made the headlines,

grandtanteJE65 Thu 10-Jan-19 11:18:21

Anyone else with their mothers' comments ringing in their ears from when we were young?

In 1975 or thereabouts I bought a new summer party dress: cream Indian cotton with brown crotched inserts. It was full length and very, very fashionable. I made the mistake of packing it when I went home to my parents in the summer holidays. My mother said, "What a nice nightie!" when she saw it. I was mortified, and she was shocked that I had gone to a party "dressed like that!"

Kim19 Thu 10-Jan-19 11:36:40

Oh yes, g65, I regularly remember my Mum expressing a combination wonder/doubt that I was going out in 'that'. She was never dogmatic but worked hard at sewing doubt in my mind.

Kim19 Thu 10-Jan-19 11:37:49

or sowing! Neither particularly successful.

Legs55 Thu 10-Jan-19 11:39:42

OMG cropped trousers, they look more like "ankle swingers"

I did wear both hot pants & mini micro skirts in my teens & 20s, I was slim with very good, long legs. Sadly age has caught up with megrin

Late DH would have been rolling round on the floor laughing, he was more a jeans & T-shirt mansmile

nipsmum Thu 10-Jan-19 11:54:09

Let's face it. These celebrities get paid for wearing outlandish things. That's why they do it. !!!

maddyone Thu 10-Jan-19 12:18:44

I think they’re all gorgeous, and I’m going to get all the outfits you’ve all posted for DH for his birthday. He’ll love them. ???

JacquiG Thu 10-Jan-19 12:49:19

People like this add a touch of colour to life, but I don't like the BDSM reference (sexist?) and even I like my trousers cut longish to break over the instep. (Influence no doubt of husband).

In the 60's and 70,s, we used to dress in similar flamboyant style when going out to very posh parties and conference diners. Partner also. Then people became much more casual, especially up here in the grim North.

It is much cheaper not to be so flamboyant, too, and less is consumed so I'm all for it. Fortunately had a good sewing machine!

Deffo not for B&Q though.

trisher Thu 10-Jan-19 13:30:01

And this from the generation that wore coats that stunk to high. heaven when it rained, grew their hair,wore flowery shirts and ex military jackets and hated boring clothes that conformed. Who were going to be different....

Theoddbird Thu 10-Jan-19 15:51:56

Why should gorgeous flamboyant clothes be just for women. In past ages men wore equally glorious clothes as the women. Also in the 60s through 70s men broke out of staid fashion. As did I. I am still a bit flamboyantly bohemian. I say go for it guys...become butterflies again

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Thu 10-Jan-19 16:34:46

I rather like the second outfit and the first suit but without the Cape. My oh could not would not wear anything like this but I do admire a man who can smile

Blinko Thu 10-Jan-19 19:14:01

NanaandGrampy, now that's what I call style. I might have said 'no' to brown shoes with a blue suit, but this guy can get away with it. Looks fab, imo… Oh, they say 'Hot' don't they? Showing me age again.

FarNorth Thu 10-Jan-19 20:52:50

We are doing things differently from previous generations of 'old people'.
My mother would probably be astonished to know that I am managing fine without the benefit of corset or panty-girdle.
And nice perms are not often seen on the grannies who are mostly in jeans or leggings.

MissAdventure Thu 10-Jan-19 20:55:03

My mum would still have me wearing a vest, (tucked into my knickers) and a petticoat.

Chewbacca Thu 10-Jan-19 21:33:03

What? Did none of you wear a liberty bodice? I had to wear one summer and winter and it had buttons along the hem that you nipped into the button holes in the top of your keks!

Wonder if they'll make a come back? hmm

Nanna58 Fri 11-Jan-19 22:02:22

Oh lord Chewbacca I’d managed to erase the memory of my dreaded liberty bodice, I’ll have nightmares now!