Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Salon dye or box dye

(33 Posts)
Smiley4 Sat 09-Feb-19 12:19:10

I’m just wondering which you all use? I can never get the colour I want at a salon, but I’m finding as I get older that my hair won’t take a box colour the same as it used to.

Any advice or tips welcome.

ninathenana Sat 09-Feb-19 13:59:17

I used Nice 'n' Easy for many years. I've never had a salon colour.
However, I let my hair go grey about 5 yrs ago so don't' know how effective home colour would be now.

FountainPen Sat 09-Feb-19 14:15:06

What colour are you aiming for and how different does it come out to how you want it?

I used to home dye with Nice 'n Easy. However, they changed the formula a while back, I suspect to remove some of the more noxious chemicals. It certainly smelled less unpleasant but would no longer take.

I now have a salon colour with lots of highlights. My hair is thinning and I have a couple of wigs I wear occasionally. I took in my favourite which has a blend of colours and got the stylist to match it.

There's always going to be a difference in the way the colour looks on the nylon samples and real hair. Maybe try a different colour stylist to see if they do a better job. People see colour in different ways and some colour stylists are better than others.

Buffybee Sat 09-Feb-19 15:20:06

Smiley, I definately prefer salon colouring, I tried colouring my own with a good box brand for a couple of months but found the all over block colour looked quite heavy, also my hair became very dry and brittle.
I have high lights and low lights in mine and it looks very natural.
Try a different hairdresser if yours can't colour very well and look in magazines or online for the shades that you would like, to give the colourist an idea of what you have in mind.

M0nica Sat 09-Feb-19 15:28:19

I use, and have always used, Superdrug own brand. I use a colour slightly lighter than my natural colour.

My hair is still predominantly its original colour, but faded slightly. By using a slighter lighter shade, my hair colour is not blocky but variable in colour depending on the shade of the variable natural colour underlying it.

I have discussed this with my hairdresser, who says she sees no need for me to have salon colouring, because what I am doing at home is leaving my hair looking a natural colour and in a shade that suits my skin.

SalsaQueen Sat 09-Feb-19 20:11:50

I use "Casting", which lasts for 24 shampoos, I think (so 24 days for me), and I like "Iced Chocolate".

My own hair is very grey. I've been a redhead, blonde, and have had my hair black too. I'll be glad when I can just leave it to be grey, but don't feel that's for a few years yet.

Chewbacca Sat 09-Feb-19 20:33:02

Salon every 6 weeks for me. I gave up on home dyes when I realised that I'd splashed the walls, tiles, grout, floor, mirror and then dribbled it down the stairs, only to find that I'd missed a clump of hair from the back of my head. Never again.

glammanana Sat 09-Feb-19 20:47:47

I have used Nice & Easy for years and never had a problem the only thing differant is that in summer months I use 2 shades lighter and in winter go 2 shades darker I use it every 8 weeks I have to use 2 x boxes with my hair being long and apply it as you would a shampoo I always use the conditioner that comes with the pack I make sure I use the conditioner that come with it in between applications.

Tangerine Sat 09-Feb-19 21:18:24

I've coloured my hair at home and had good results but I prefer to have it done at the salon because you get less mess and I enjoy a trip to the hairdressers.

Cherrytree59 Sat 09-Feb-19 21:51:00

Had my hair dyed once (salon) hated it.

So now stick with highlights (salon)
Blonde and carmel.
The sun bleaches my hair in summer so I have more carmel highlights to compensate.
My hair darkens in winter so I have more lighter highlights and less caramel.

I like the flexibility of highlights.

gillybob Sat 09-Feb-19 22:20:14

For me a visit to the hairdressers equals torture, besides I couldn’t afford a salon colour/dye.

I use Nice and Easy at home, it might not be perfect (far from it) but at least I don’t have to stare at my ugly face for over an hour.

Beammeupscottie Sat 09-Feb-19 22:40:09

You are very hard on yourself gb. but know what you mean (I look in the mirror and am very critical of what I see). I like a salon do because I am vain but feel very out of the loop as they are all so young.They think I am funny but don't know whether that is humorous or peculiar.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Feb-19 22:42:40

I hate going to the hairdressers too.
Its akin to a trip to the dentist for me.

sassenach512 Sat 09-Feb-19 22:49:38

Nice and Easy for me too, it's one of the only box dyes that hasn't made my scalp sting. I choose one of the lightest blonde shades so that any grey hair blends in naturally. I used to have highlights done in a salon but it became too expensive every six weeks and I'm quite pleased with how my hair looks now anyway

paddyann Sat 09-Feb-19 22:49:46

Hairdresser every six weeks or so and I use Root touch up in between times ,I hate roots showing through .Its sort of light brown with blonde highlights now but I change the colour quite often ,its been every colour of the rainbow and a few more over the years.I'm happy with it for now though so wouldn't risk dying it myself

Humbertbear Sun 10-Feb-19 09:15:20

Professional colourist every time. If I try to do it myself the roots aren’t fully covered and my hair goes too red. I would live on baked beans in order to be able to afford a proper cut and colour.

Smiley4 Sun 10-Feb-19 09:51:49

Thanks for all your thoughts. I’ve tried salon colour at four different salons. Took photos in of the colour I wanted, but been dissapointed every time. The coverage has been better, but as it’s never the colour I wanted, it seems silly to keep paying salon prices.

As it’s cheaper I think I’ll stick with box dyes. That way I’m still dissapointed but haven’t spent a fortune to feel that way
?

Gilly1952 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:02:18

I have used Garnier Belle Colour for years and always had good, natural looking results. I differ between 9.3 a golden or honey blonde and 9 light blonde, but lately the 9 doesn’t seem to cover my grey so well, especially the hair at the temples. Superdrug doesn’t sell it, but Wilko usually stocks it and is very reasonable! I’m too mean to have it coloured at the salon!

Magicmaggie Sun 10-Feb-19 10:36:37

Gilly, like you I prefer to use Garner Belle Colour and
also get it from Wilko, as you say it’s very reasonable.
I sometimes have to order it online and then pick it up at my local Wilko.
I use the 4.3 natural dark golden brown, which is a very natural colour.

henetha Sun 10-Feb-19 10:41:16

I stopped colouring my hair a few years ago, but after reading the above I'm tempted to start again,
I hate hairdressers, and can't afford them anyway, so I might buy one or the other of those mentioned above.

winterwhite Sun 10-Feb-19 11:21:43

A lot of enthusiastic home colourists here! Clearly gives good results. But how do you get it off without dyeing the whole shower?

MaggieTulliver Sun 10-Feb-19 13:47:30

Nice and Easy permanent is brilliant, have used a dark blonde to cover my almost grey hair for years. Get loads of compliments and its multi-tones look very natural. Agree with the poster who said going to the hairdressers is like a trip to the dentist. I actually prefer going to the dentist and save myself a load of cash!

NanaLu Sun 10-Feb-19 13:48:03

Nice n’ Easy every time for me. I love the way that it’s tonal, ie you get high and low tones throughout your hair. Don’t go for dramatic change, I use Medium Honey Blonde (8G), and don’t EVER go darker than your natural colour as it will drain all the colour from your face. Having said all that I’m presently growing mine out after dying my hair for all of my adult life, and I’m quite excited about the lovely tonal greys that are revealing themselves! ?

MaggieTulliver Sun 10-Feb-19 13:49:01

Winterwhite the latest home colours are very easy to use, don't drip and don't stain.

Lesleysherrard Sun 10-Feb-19 15:10:09

I am 56 and, when I leave my dye to grow out, my hair is pure silver. However, I have just used a blond Schwarzkopf box dye and it has covered perfectly.