Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

How long to keep make-up

(45 Posts)
winterwhite Thu 28-Feb-19 12:28:10

Are we really expected to throw away our make-up, including foundation, after a year? Does anyone actually do this (apart from eyeliner and mascara)? Has anyone ever had an infection from old foundation? Or does everyone but me diligently use the same product for a year at a time? I use tinted moisturiser and usually have two or three on the go which I keep until the tubes get too manky-looking - contents don't seem to lose their composition.

If this claim is true why doesn't foundation come in smaller tubes/bottles? I believe it's is a sales gimmick.

Gonegirl Thu 28-Feb-19 12:35:52

I have a lipstick, or at least the remains of a lipstick, that is many years old. I don't often bother with lippie. Much to daughter's displeasure. ?

Gonegirl Thu 28-Feb-19 12:37:00

My day cream and blusher are not much younger.

grannysue05 Thu 28-Feb-19 14:18:22

I read somewhere that if your lipstick or make-up starts to smell like old crayons, then it's time to throw them out.
I always replace mascara every six months whether the tube is finished or not.
I worry that keeping it longer may result in an eye infection. Best friend keeps hers for ever though, and has never had a problem.

Farmor15 Thu 28-Feb-19 14:38:29

I have eyeshadow I got for Christmas when I was about 18 (67 now!). I don't use make-up much - mascara usually dries up and I have to replace after a couple of years. I have lipstick that must be about 30 years old. Is this a record?
I still use the old eyeshadow sometimes - have some slightly newer as well - different colours.

As a retired microbiologist, I don't think there's much risk of infection from old make-up. The ingredients are not very favourable for the growth of microbes and if it's not used much, any that do end up in it will have died of starvation after a few weeks.

shandi6570 Thu 28-Feb-19 15:05:22

Farmor15 what a great post, both funny and reassuring. It's good to know as like you, I have make up from many years ago. It rarely sees the light of day, but I just can't bring myself to throw it away so of course I do use it on the odd occasion that I feel the urge to brighten myself up grin

grannyticktock Thu 28-Feb-19 20:51:02

I still have a palette of eyeshadows that a friend gave me in about 1968 (I still have the friend too, I must tell her!). I wear very little makeup, but only throw things away if they get too dried up or begin to smell weird.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Feb-19 21:51:07

Funnily enough have just used the last of a powder blusher that I must have bought 20 years ago! Actually I’m glad as I’ve read creme blusher suits older faces better - which obviously is me now!
I shall choose one WITH GREAT CARE this weekend as it’ll probably see me out!
Now there’s a thought. Not. ?

Eloethan Thu 28-Feb-19 22:45:27

I wouldn't be at all surprised if cosmetic manufacturers are behind the issuing of this instruction. Obviously, they will make more money that way.

Some of my make up is quite old. I'm a little bit more careful with mascara - use it for about 4 months - but I buy a very cheap mascara anyway.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Feb-19 23:17:31

I throw my make up away when it’s empty

Auntieflo Fri 01-Mar-19 08:10:10

Has anyone tried making a new lipstick from the ends of old ones? Looks as though it could get messy, but fun to try, and see what colour emerges. (You can tell I sometimes have too much time on my hands YouTubing)

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 08:52:29

Not done that Auntieflo but I did buy a lip brush to poke into the recesses of every tube. It’s brilliant and suits my parsimonious nature.

gillybob Fri 01-Mar-19 09:12:07

Oh I poke the remnants out of the bottom of lipsticks too Urmstongran . I seem to find a lipstick I love and then they discontinue it ( why do they do that ? ) . I also cut tubes of cream/foundation open and wrap cling film over the ends to get another few days of use. Hate to waste anything.

Kim19 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:51:42

Don't know anyone who disposes for reasons other than finished. Haven't heard of any adverse effects.

winterwhite Fri 01-Mar-19 10:01:26

Thanks, everyone, that's reassuring. There are some good records here that even I can't beat grin

georgia101 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:03:32

I keep my make up forever as I don't use it much. I hate waste so won't throw it out if it still looks ok. I still have my mother's lipstick for sentimental reasons only, and she died nearly 30 years ago. The colour is deep red so has come back into fashion so maybe I should try it on - but maybe not!

Patticake123 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:04:03

My mother in law would always buy me an Estée Lauder gift set for Christmas and I am still using lipstick from those sets. She died 28 years ago. So, no, I don’t throw away after a year!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:04:28

I haven't seen any newspaper headlines about people poisoning themselves with old make-up, have you? I'm sure people of our generation have built up resistance by not going overboard in this department.
I try to use things up to the last drop as I like to get my money's worth.

georgia101 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:04:37

I do all that too gillybob

Diggingdoris Fri 01-Mar-19 10:11:07

Auntieflo, yes I've done that. I put all the old ends of lippy in the microwave and melted them together, and poured the mix into a tiny jam jar. (Like you get with a scone in a cafe). The colour came out a perfect shade of cerise, which surprised me, as there had been everything from palest pink to orange and burgundy in the mix. I use it everyday with a lip brush. It should keep me going for years! Some of the bits dated back to the late 60's but there's no funny smell or taste to the new mix, so give it a try!

H1954 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:13:26

I think I'm in tune with everyone else on this thread; my 4 year old foundation looked like it had curdled and NO amount of shaking would blend it so it went in the bin. I bought a very expensive eye makeup palette at duty free some years ago and the only part I've thrown away was the mascara, still use all the rest with no side effects. I also read that once makeup starts to smell odd it should be thrown away.

henetha Fri 01-Mar-19 10:31:58

I've got some ancient make up which I still use and it doesn't seem to do me any harm. If it started to grow mould then I might chuck it out.

Auntieflo Fri 01-Mar-19 10:33:04

I have got a lipbrush, but had forgotten that! I might have a go at the microwave lipstick. But, at the moment I am too busy. GN is soooo. addictive at times. ? as well as the three other jobs awaiting my attention.

Craftycat Fri 01-Mar-19 10:44:33

I apply full makeup first thing every day- even if I am by myself all day- so it never gets old enough to worry about. I think I'd use makeup if I was on a desert island too- I'm not 'me' without it.
Never wear lipstick though- hate the feel of it.

BRedhead59 Fri 01-Mar-19 11:03:00

I bought some very expensive makeup on my 40th birthday weekend. I am now 65 and I've still got it. I rarely use it though. Since then I've bought the odd lippy but don't use that much either. I think if you make up a lot you then feel naked without it so I don't want to start. It doesn't suit my lifestyle of jeans and country walks either.