Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Spring dresses -any recommendations?

(58 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-19 10:26:17

We're looking to update this page on spring dresses with the new season's styles ?. Any recommendations for specific dresses from those of you who've already started shopping? And are there any retailers you think should be included? smile

Alexa Sat 30-Mar-19 17:13:50

I just bought a long teeshirt dress from M and S. All cotton. Plain red. Long-short sleeves. My usual size 16 it skims without clinging. I sent for another in black. M and S has several nice plain shirt dresses and teeshirt dresses. I also bought a linen/cotton shirt midi dress with drawstring waist. I like plain understated and this is a vast improvement for M and S after those too elaborate PerUna things.

mumofmadboys Sat 30-Mar-19 16:51:40

Bamm and Glammagran I saw those shift type dresses in linen for £25 in a range of colours. They do look lovely. They appeared to be made of linen?

giulia Sat 30-Mar-19 09:03:30

Has anyone ever bought from this J..F..N advertiser that always flashes up on the right hand side of Gransnet? I wanted to but saw there was a warning about it not being a safe site so didn't dare. They do have some pretty summer dresses though.

Marydoll Fri 29-Mar-19 19:44:25

I particularly like the red one! smile.
This thread has been great for discovering new brands.

Coolgran65 Fri 29-Mar-19 19:31:25

I am a plus size and always looking for something funky. Don't wear dresses because like a pp I have thread veins on one leg that I try to cover, so usually maxi dress or inevitably trousers/linens.

However, last year I did graduate to wearing leggings with a couple of knee length dresses and felt very brave doing so. Last week I came across a site on Amazon (and it's also on eBay) that catered for plus sizes and I've no idea how it came about because I've never ever bought clothing from Amazon.

The reviews were exceptionally good, and lots of them. A particular dress was £29.99 and I went for it in plain navy. A knee length summer dress but most suitable also for wearing with leggings. Said dress has arrived and I am delighted. So much so that I've ordered it also in black, and in red with a pattern.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolfairy-Plus-Size-Dress-Midi-Beach-Holiday-Summer-Spring-Short-Sleeve-Lagenlook/253411054362?hash=item3b0079d31a:m:mHZLWYwBxelxp1rL8BnFNcQ&var=552576308333

High end it is not but it will be great for every day and for holidays. Suitable also for wearing a Tshirt underneath on cooler days.
Sits close at the shoulders but cut fuller arount the middle with massive funky pockets.

Suits me perfectly, so comfy, hides a multitude of sins, looks great with sandals or lace-up canvas. Easy to dress to suit a personality.

Can you tell I love it.

B9exchange Fri 29-Mar-19 18:52:07

EBay for me! I have just bought three new summer dresses, two Hobbs and one Oasis for under £30 for the three!

starbox Fri 29-Mar-19 18:20:23

Gudrun Sjoden every time!

glammagran Fri 29-Mar-19 17:38:42

I got the pale blue one Bamm

goldengirl Fri 29-Mar-19 10:40:26

I like Boden though they've got a bit pricier but they are reliable and provide very good service. I've tried a few clothes from the ranges on QVC and have been very pleasantly surprised by style, fabric, sizes - and price! Seasalt is also another go to brand. I've just got a voucher for Monsoon so I'll be looking in there though the last time I visited the trousers I loved were far too long and the V neck blouse was almost open to my navel!!!

Brunette10 Fri 29-Mar-19 07:34:17

Thanks to all. I shall take a good look at all these suggestions and hopefully see some dresses I want to buy. Thanks again gransnetters smile

Benje Fri 29-Mar-19 07:03:10

Phase eight Hobbs and LK Bennett
Beautiful dresses work play and special occasions

trendygran Thu 28-Mar-19 21:35:32

That should read Margs! Altered itself to Mary’s .

trendygran Thu 28-Mar-19 21:29:10

Mary’s. Totally agree with you about M and S dresses I also,looked a couple of days ago and just saw a lot of shapeless or almost overall looking dresses.
Roman Originals are my favourite for dresses . I rarely wear a dress but they do have some very nice ones.

Shizam Thu 28-Mar-19 20:48:46

I bought a summer dress from Hush last year and a couple of tops. In the sale. Was via mumsnet! I’m rubbish at shopping. But they have all proved to be invaluable.

GrammaH Thu 28-Mar-19 18:40:23

My pleasure Marydoll!

Elisabeth68 Thu 28-Mar-19 17:37:18

Zara, Cos, And Other Stories and ASOS
More expensive Ghost of London, Rixo, J Crew

Bamm Thu 28-Mar-19 17:33:38

Boden have petite dresses and they are very reliable with delivery and returns.

Marydoll Thu 28-Mar-19 17:33:23

GrammaH, thank you so much. I love all the vintage dresses and the shoes are fabulous! smile

anna7 Thu 28-Mar-19 17:31:05

Have you tried Boden Brunette10? I have the opposite problem to you because I need a longer length but I know Boden do a petite length as well as tall and I find the quality very good. They are expensive but I never buy unless I can find a code for at least 20% off.

Brunette10 Thu 28-Mar-19 17:06:15

I would love to be able to see a dress and buy it to wear instantly. Unfortunately I am Petite size 8/10 and TBH have very few dresses as I can never find any to buy off the rack and wear without some alterations. I see women wearing lovely dresses and always admire them but goodness knows where they get them. Can anyone advise on retailers apart from the usual Next , M and S that do petite, fashionable for a 65 year old. Keeping fingers crossed. smile

Sheilasue Thu 28-Mar-19 16:51:37

I don’t wear dresses, I have some thread veins on my legs by my calf, dresses never cover that area, I am not to sure about maxi dresses always think they need a sandel with a high wedge, cannot wear high heels or high wedges anymore.
So I wear summer chinos, flair trousers, with a nice top or t shirt.

GrammaH Thu 28-Mar-19 16:51:09

Well done with Pretty Kitty LondonMzFitz, so glad you liked it! My friend has just ordered a whopping 9 dresses from them, though swears she'll send at least 5 back! I must admit I'm torn, I've got a summer wedding coming up and want one of their lovely flowery dresses with a big hat - very 1950s. Spoilt for choice as there are so many pretty ones. There's also a Bombshell one with big red roses but it's 6 times Pretty Kitty's prices! Mmm, whats a girl to do?!

Bamm Thu 28-Mar-19 16:46:11

I found an M and S summer dress that I liked last week. Sleeveless, semi fitted with small side splits finishing just above the knee. The material is linen and viscose and its available in lots of colours; I got black. £25.

gillybob Thu 28-Mar-19 16:28:24

I really like that dress lizzypopbottle . I have one in a very similar style and fabric which is navy with lighter blue flowers. I love it and have worn it on its own and with leggings too. I'm not sure of the make as I'm at work so can't check, but I bought it in a garden centre in/near Kelso a few years ago.

Bamm Thu 28-Mar-19 16:11:09

I like Boden and Hobbs. Good range, quick delivery and sales on at the moment.