Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Nails

(9 Posts)
olive2709 Tue 09-Apr-19 11:29:05

All ways had nails that broke easily had it under control for years. Had to take oral steroids for 42months nails split,peeled, broke, nothing could stop this. Off steroids 12 months not getting any better use Sally Hansons miracle cure slight improvement after 4weeks any advice

Matron Wed 10-Apr-19 09:53:10

Hello. I had the same problem but after having acrylic nails. I just couldn’t stop my nails splitting and breaking so a few years ago I decided to buy Imedeen Hair & Nails. After 3 months there was a definite improvement. I also continued having regular manicures (no more acrylic though) where they used a special nail strengthener ever 4 weeks. My nails are now looking good. Hope that helps

GrannyGravy13 Wed 10-Apr-19 10:04:49

I have been on and off steroid tablets since I was a child, have been on strong inhaled steroids for 6 years together with intermittent steroid tablets.

I have had "gel varnish" on my nails for 10 years constantly. They always look nice and have not damaged my own nails anymore than the steroids have.

Countrylife Fri 19-Apr-19 09:36:43

My nails split vertically and horizontally and flake like mad. Heavy inhaled and occasional oral steroid for COPD doesn’t help along with other pain meds for chronic arthritis. Every now and again I manage to get them all looking ok, split for sure but lacquered with slight tinge of nude and I think ok getting better and then I wipe the kitchen counter or feed the dogs and wham split cracked hanging off again. I use sally Hansen strengthening products and take calcium supplements, more damn pills and still they break split and fracture. I’m beginning to accept I will never have lovely hands again! Hey Ho there are worse things.

crazyH Fri 19-Apr-19 09:42:08

For the first time, my hands are beginning to look old. I need to slather Vaseline on them, put gloves on and have a long sleep. I've heard it does wonders for the hands.

Countrylife Mon 22-Apr-19 08:16:46

Yes hands are an age giveaway maybe I will try that Vaseline but with a bag over my head instead. ha ha! (Obviously not polythene)

Harris27 Mon 22-Apr-19 08:29:04

I didn't realise that the steroids did this been trying to grow my nails for a long time and take inhaled steroids daily have done for years. Oral steroids mostly in winter. Did have gelled nails done professionally which made my nails look lovely but the cost got too much and now my nails look horrendous!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Apr-19 08:46:43

Harris27 ring round your local salons as prices vary, but do avoid the Chinese or Thai ones as they tend to use inferior products (the giveaway is that they all wear face masks).

Maybe you could get them done monthly.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 22-Apr-19 08:54:19

I've started brushing a little "Bio-oil" on my nails each evening and this seems to help. They're fairly glamorous looking at the moment which is quite an achievement for me.