Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Real women

(12 Posts)
MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 09:28:42

Yesterday I went to the first day of the Sahara sample/end of season sale in PallMall.
There was quite a queue so we mostly got chatting while we waited as we all had one thing at least in common- a Sahara habit but not always the money to fund it at full prices!
It was a case of “one in, one out at the door”, we were given a big clear plastic sack then it was every woman for herself.
The point of all of this, was the communal changing room/area where we 60+ Home Counties matrons unselfconsciously stripped down to our undies in the way we used to as teenagers in Biba or Topshop.
But oh what acres of flesh were liberated! It was so reassuring to know that others shared my lumps and bumps, muffin tops, tummies, back fat, dimpled thighs - the lot!
I had a great time , if exhausting and ultimately quite expensive- but amazing value as the items were all about 1/2 or 1/3 of their original price.
But the best bit was knowing there are still “real women” not size zero twenty-somethings out there, just like me!

PamelaJ1 Wed 01-May-19 09:35:38

Welcome back Maw.
After a lifetime of seeing very lightly clad ladies, fat, thin and in between I have no qualms about my body.
We are all lumpy, bumpy or scraggy.
Enjoy your purchases.

Framilode Wed 01-May-19 10:07:33

I would love to look like a Sahara woman Maw but I know my husband would moan non stop. He doesn't even like me wearing leggings. I also know that I should wear what I like and not give a damn but it's just not worth it.

MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 10:12:39

One purchase-actually two, including the necklace.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-May-19 10:12:46

What a wonderful experience, I think a lot of retailers are missing out on revenue by not catering for "real women"!!

They use sample size models (sz 8) to style /design their creations and when these are "up sized" they do not look the same or hang correctly.

I am of to google Sahara, cannot miss out on a clothing line I have never heard of??????

Sara65 Wed 01-May-19 10:15:12

You’re brave! I’m not sure I could ever go in a communal changing room again! Not even for some cut price Sahara!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-May-19 10:17:37

OMG Maw how do I not know this label?????

I love everything, thank you so much for this post xxxxxx

P.S. not sure Mr.Gravy will be pleased lol!!!!!

Alima Wed 01-May-19 10:25:09

Glad you enjoyed yourself Maw!

MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 10:46:20

Grannygravy grin

Sar65 - that was my point!
I won’t go into detail as that would be unfair, but all shapes and sizes were there smile\

giulia Wed 01-May-19 10:53:57

OOOH! I had never heard of them either (but don't live in the UK). What fabulous designs but too expensive for me. Do they sell online?

MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 10:55:04

www.saharalondon.com/

Hope this doesn’t constitute advertising.
If HQ delete it you can PM me.

Sara65 Wed 01-May-19 11:13:08

I know what you’re saying, but I think I’d be so preoccupied by what I looked like, I’d end up buying nothing!
Didn’t really like them when I was young and thin!
So yes, I think you’re brave!