Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Acrylic nails.

(5 Posts)
Bopeep14 Sun 12-May-19 20:04:25

Hi ladies i occasionally have acrylic nails for special occasions.
Last time i had them i was really disappointed with them, as my cuticles were not touched she just filed my nails down a bit.
Is this normal or do they usually tidy your cuticles up.
Also round my nails were very dry no oil put on at the end.
I need them doing again soon and was wondering if i need to try somewhere else. Any advice?

Tartlet Sun 12-May-19 21:14:24

I have gel polish on my nails and always do my cuticles myself before I go. It’s a very easy few minutes job with decent cuticle remover. I use the Sally Hansen one.

But as I don’t like coming out of the salon with oily hands I always ask not to have cuticle oil put on, otherwise they’d always do it.

GabriellaG54 Sun 12-May-19 21:20:38

Pushing cuticle back is not a good idea as it leaves your nail bed open to infection. The cuticle is the seal between the grown visible nail and the as yet 'unmade' emerging nail.
Would you push back your sealant around the bath or shower or push back your gums to show more of your teeth?
That's exactly what you're doing with your nails.
As for acrylics. Any nail polish will ruin nails. They are living keratin and will be dull and become weaker if not allowed to breathe.
You can tell that I don't push back cuticles or use polish on my nails. grin

Tartlet Sun 12-May-19 22:46:25

A gentle use of the product I mention does absolutely no harm to your nails.

Bopeep14 has said that she only has acrylics done for special occasions and that unlikely to do much harm to her nails. I do accept though that long term use of either acrylics or gels do damage nails. A friend of mine now has nails akin to damp cardboard (her description) after years of constant acrylics.

Urmstongran Sun 12-May-19 23:10:03

I’ve had gel on my own nails constantly for 15 years. Never had a problem with my nails. Mostly I have a French and perhaps once a year I go gel free for about a month, just to ‘see’ my nails!

I realise gel isn’t the same as acrylic false nails that (I think) are stuck on with glue?

My manicurist always looks after my cuticles - not that I seem to get anything much to trim!