Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wedding dresses

(145 Posts)
MawBroonsback Fri 21-Jun-19 10:53:25

Inspired by Soop’s kitchen, I wondered if any of you are brave (?) enough to post a picture of you in your wedding dress?

Go on, go on, go on!

Tillybelle Sat 22-Jun-19 22:43:17

annsixty. You are such a blessing to GNet! I know it's not long since your DH passed and although you had a good long marriage, the other side of that is, you were together for so much of your life - indeed all your adult life. It must be so very strange without him.

I can only say, in the hope that it might comfort those who are grieving, that I once nearly died and I had the chance to learn that we do live on! Our spirit goes out of our body and we go to loved ones who know us and who love us. I am sure you will be together again.

To all of you who are thinking of your departed DH as you think of your Wedding, I send love and very best wishes that you receive comfort in your hearts in those moments when you feel alone. ????

Thank you for your tender and lovely posts annsixty?

callgirl1 Sat 22-Jun-19 23:37:30

Ann, your photo is lovely, and the dress was beautiful. Were you really as demure as you look in that photo?

kittylester Sun 23-Jun-19 08:00:16

I agree tillybelle

Weren't we all beautiful and marrying such handsome men.

I didnt give a thought as to whether it would last or not. I just knew I really wanted to be with dh. On occasions I have thought it might not last!!! But, here we are almost 49 years, 5 children, 9 grandchildren, some tears and lots of laughter later.

It's quite scary to think about how unaware I was. Do others think that?

deaneke Sun 23-Jun-19 09:17:09

So beautiful. Timeless too

deaneke Sun 23-Jun-19 09:20:22

Ellianne, your dress is beautiful and timeless. I thought I was replying to you but it goes in the general comments!

Ellianne Sun 23-Jun-19 09:43:30

I am so very touched by the number of you who have posted or messaged me about my dress. Everyone in their photos looks so lovely as a bride, maybe mine just stood out because it was the "real thing." I'll try to post another photo of the scalloped edging.
Thank you Gransnetters. I'm very new to this group and finding such a lovely group of people has made my day!

Glammy57 Sun 23-Jun-19 17:50:26

In my opinion - best dressed/striking groom is Maw’s husband. My favourite bride’s outfit is Dragonfly. Lady in red and a rebel! ❤️

NotSpaghetti Wed 26-Jun-19 22:19:50

annsixty you had the most beautiful wedding dress... and so happy.

maryhoffman37 Sun 30-Jun-19 07:48:23

Laura Asley, £6, 1972. Colour: brown!

Glammy57 Sat 06-Jul-19 17:23:51

maryhoffman37. Love it! ?

tinaf1 Sat 06-Jul-19 17:35:12

Like Bellasnana ( coincidence I am also a Bella’s nana) second marriage 1971 for me already had two little ones to get back to, so quick do in registry office and dress and shoes bought on the quick from Walthamstow market. Still had nice do at home afterwards that everyone seemed to enjoy. Loved your great grans dress Bellasnana

tinaf1 Sat 06-Jul-19 17:38:07

Sorry Bellasnana was you grandmother not great grandmother

BlueSapphire Wed 10-Jul-19 20:02:03

Oh my goodness, how did I miss this thread? It is lovely and I have so enjoyed looking at your lovely wedding dresses. Mine was 1972, dress from Pronuptia in London, and cost £25. Dresses were very demure in those days. DH died last year.

MawBroonsback Wed 10-Jul-19 20:06:24

That is so sweet BlueSapphire. You look so petite beside him!

Calendargirl Wed 10-Jul-19 20:34:51

An earlier poster asked about lucky tokens being given e.g. black cats.
I was given a large (toy!) black cat which when wound up played the wedding march. Still works when I clamber up in the loft and wind it up for a burst of nostalgia.

SirChenjin Wed 10-Jul-19 20:58:05

This is such a lovely thread smile You all look absolutely beautiful with such stunning dresses, it’s fascinating to watch the fashions change over the years.

Mine was made by a friend who made the costumes for one of the major theatres here - it was gorgeous (at least I thought so!). Cream dupion silk with a scoop neck and lace bodice, a full skirt with a train and little buttons down the back. Very simple for the mid nineties.
We got engaged after six weeks shock, married a year later and next year will be our silver wedding. MiL and FiL got engaged after a long weekend (shockshock) and were together for nearly 50 years before he died.

Purpledaffodil Wed 10-Jul-19 22:06:15

Married in 1970 aged 20 and 23 respectively. Much too young but still together. Dress was cut up to make DD christening dress in 1984, to be used again for DGD next week. DD wore my veil too, but not surprisingly rejected the sparkly headpiece.?

BlueSapphire Thu 11-Jul-19 00:04:50

Thank you Maw, he was over 6ft tall, and I was (still am) 5ft nothing. I must say you looked lovely, and Paw was very dashing!

jackfowler Fri 12-Jul-19 11:57:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.