Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Throwing away old and never used clothes

(83 Posts)
MooM00 Tue 25-Jun-19 23:11:51

I wondered how many people like me find it difficult to get rid of old and unused clothes. I need to do a massive clear out of my clothes including underwear. If I do get the urge to clear things which I have done in the past I have to fill a bin liner and take it to the charity shop that day. I have been known to buy things back. As for underwear, so I don't keep them back, I actually cut the crutch out of pants and cut the bra in half then I will let them go to the tip. This is madness I know. Do any of you do silly things when you are having a clear out or are you really good at Decluttering. How long do you keep your clothes.

gillybob Tue 25-Jun-19 23:16:54

I’ve had a huge declutter recently. 2 bags to the charity shop and another huge bag for the air ambulance collection. I have another pile of hardly worn (and unworn) shoes, with heels, that I would happily give to anyone, but not sure what do with them. I always throw used knickers and bras away.

gransal Tue 25-Jun-19 23:19:18

moo I am really bad at throwing clothes away. I always think "Iwill wear that again" and then find myself looking at the same item one year later and thinking the very same thing. !!

Feelingmyage55 Wed 26-Jun-19 00:21:07

Guilty!

paddyann Wed 26-Jun-19 00:48:16

I love a good clearout,anything that fits her goes to my sister ,everything else apart from Bras go the charity shop an dthey go to a charity that sends them to countries where women are in desperate need of underwear .Shoes are collected by the local library ( my niece is the librarian) and I gave them 27 pairs last year,still a fair few to go though

BlueBelle Wed 26-Jun-19 04:26:40

Something has to be torn or stained to get thrown away for me (which is a rare event) most goes to the charity shop (where a lot came from ?) or to Calais /Syria
Very good or new items get sold on eBay or local selling site. Bras if clean and decent can go to Africa, cotton pants when washed can be used as polishing rags (not lacy ones of course) sheets /duvet covers if not good enough for charity are used for decorating Shoes are normally used till finished but I don’t have that many ( under a dozen)
I do hang on to things too long but when I decide then it’s a big clear out but do you ever miss anything about a year or so later and think where’s that lovely top I used to wear and you can’t find it anywhere?

silverlining48 Wed 26-Jun-19 05:08:45

Hard to manufacture I think bras are one of the items which are really appreciated as blue belle says. Don’t bin them.

Bigred18 Wed 26-Jun-19 05:09:11

I'm travelling in September - Oz to UK - so am sorting undies and will take only what I can wear and discard, may not have a chance to do laundry. Saves carrying them around the country!

Sara65 Wed 26-Jun-19 06:39:17

I used to hang on to things, thinking one day they may fit me again, or one day I’ll find something to go with that expensive top I bought on impulse

But no longer, I clear out twice a year, and if I didn’t wear it the previous season, it goes to the charity shop! Our recycling men take textiles, so all the rubbish goes to them.

Sara65 Wed 26-Jun-19 06:41:23

Bluebelle

I admit I sometimes look for something, only to remember someone else is probably wearing it!

craftyone Wed 26-Jun-19 06:48:53

I anonymously sent a parce of decent bras to a charity to help abused women.

I actually have a bag of clothes in the car to go to the clothes recycling box, I too find it difficult to get rid, all of these clothes either have a small defect or are looking a bit worn so it was relatively easy

Some clothes don`t get worn in a year but I will not throw them out, such as funeral clothes, cruise clothes (if ever I go again). Another sort out will be happening soon, wardrobes are being built but with much more shelf space than hanging space, for crafting stash. I will use all the wardrobe space but this time, clothes will have room to breathe

PamelaJ1 Wed 26-Jun-19 07:17:37

I watched a programme on waste and charities.
Nothing gets wasted.
Put the things you don’t think suitable for a charity shop into one of those bins that collect shoes and old clothes.

Liz46 Wed 26-Jun-19 07:34:49

I used to volunteer in a charity shop and anything that was not good enough to go onto a coat hanger would go into the rag bags which were sold. Some customers would sort out the rags for us and give us a bag of 'clean rags'.

Calendargirl Wed 26-Jun-19 07:49:12

Makes you realise how much ‘stuff’ i.e. clothes we have that probably we shouldn’t have bought in the first place. How many clothes do we really need? I have two funerals coming up, wonder if I should get something fresh, but will no doubt wear my black ‘funeral’ trousers which come out for such occasions. I know I wore them for my mum’s funeral fifteen years ago, they were not new then, but they still fit, don’t look too dated( I hope) and as my husband once said, “Well, no one’s looking at you!”

LullyDully Wed 26-Jun-19 07:49:40

I have about 3 new blouses bought in an M and S sale. They are far too big but pretty so I haven't thrown them out.(recycled sorry)

Sara65 Wed 26-Jun-19 08:01:40

I think one of the problems of buying online, is that it’s such a hassle to pack something up and send it back, that unless it’s vile, I tend to think , I may as well keep it, I might get some wear out of it, whereas if I was in a shop, it would right back on the shelf

Calendargirl Wed 26-Jun-19 08:05:56

Sara65.
Exactly, another reason I suppose to buy in person at a shop. How often does something look great on a model but when you try it on yourself .....?

Sara65 Wed 26-Jun-19 08:10:32

Calendergirl

I know, it always says, model is 5ft 10, and wearing size 8

Now why do I think, that it’s going to look the same on me, 5ft 1, and size 16!

Niobe Wed 26-Jun-19 08:13:28

Please don't destroy bras. Donate them and they are sent to Poor women in other parts of the world who cannot afford to buy them.
I must admit that as I have grown older I buy fewer but better quality clothes which I keep for longer. In the last several months I have only bought 2 tee shirts to replace torn ones.

sodapop Wed 26-Jun-19 08:51:54

No such limitations here, out it all goes and I'm hoping my husband has actually taken it to the recycling point and not hoarded it in the barn. There are very few charity shops in this area of France but there are recycling points for clothing.

annep1 Wed 26-Jun-19 09:10:13

Like Bluebelle I often regret throwing things out that were in great condition; especially as clothes come back into fashion. I'm very choosy now in what I dispose of. I also try not to overbuy. The amount of little used clothes in charity shops is a disgrace really. Our local one often has to refuse donations until stock gets lower.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 26-Jun-19 09:20:46

I'm mean and hang on to things. When a t-shirt gets too many of those little holes by the seams then it's time to sling and replace.
A pair of beige jeggings developed a hole by the knee and I believe it's all the rage if it's tight denim but it's not really my style. My favourite cardigans are a bit bobbly but still wearable. I try not to overbuy and these days only buy new if the item is irresistible or is a replacement.
My hobby of patchwork helps.

Ellianne Wed 26-Jun-19 09:21:46

I'm with Niobe in that I've started buying top quality clothing, sometimes from agencies, in the hope it will last longer and reduce the constant need to throw away. I also find the better quality items are in less garish colours and don't go out of fashion.

trisher Wed 26-Jun-19 09:29:44

I recently found out about SmartWorks. It's a charity that gives women who have been long-term unemployed an interview outfit, confidence building and interview advice. If you have one near you they will welcome smart outfits especially in larger sizes. They also need shoes and handbags smartworks.org.uk/get-involved/donate-clothes/
They also hold sales of outfits to raise money.

MawBroonsback Wed 26-Jun-19 09:36:15

Taking clothes to the local charity shop can have unforeseen consequences.
My sisters in law cleared out their mother’s clothes - all classic, good quality (she was that sort of lady!) to the local Sue Ryder shop.
Some weeks later, still sorting out the house etc one sister in law nearly had a heart attack when she “saw” her mother walking down the High Street in front of her!
Same “vintage”, same sensible shoes, same grey hair in an up do and a suit which sister in law recognised all too well having taken it to the charity shop only a few weeks earlier.