Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

wearing make-up

(197 Posts)
Fennel Wed 21-Aug-19 14:27:14

I used to put on make-up, especially lipstick, eye shadow and mascara, before going to work in the morning. If we were going out at night I even had false eyelashes.
Then for the last 20 years or so everyone seems to have gone au naturel. But recently I've noticed more women, even my age, look as if they've started to make up again. Especially lipstick and foundation.
I don't think I could be bothered - what do you think?

BlueSapphire Thu 22-Aug-19 09:01:20

Talk about people being judgemental! Many years ago (I was in my 30s) we were staying with my youngest sister and her husband; we were sitting chatting in the pub one day and I don't know how we got round to the subject but DBinlaw came out with the fact that he didn't like nail polish on toes and that he thought women who painted their toenails looked cheap. It was summer, I was wearing sandals and had brightly polished toenails, so I just stuck them out in front of him. He wasn't at all abashed, I didn't know what to say after that and just ignored the comment, thought it best not to start an argument, but looking back I do wish I had called him out on it. I never go out in the summer without nail polish on, and use it all through the winter when I am wearing socks and my feet are under wraps. Plus the fact that DH loved it!

Willow500 Thu 22-Aug-19 09:15:22

My DIL is a make up artist but also a busy mum with 2 young children so doesn't bother with a full face of make up during the day, especially if they're filming very early in the morning, but she always uses moisturiser. She had a very bad skin when she was younger so is super careful about the products she uses now. When she does put the lot on she looks lovely though.

Glammy57 Thu 22-Aug-19 09:18:58

I don’t leave the house without makeup - quality brands and subtly applied.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 22-Aug-19 09:23:58

I used to wear the whole caboodle (foundation, powder, blusher, eye-shadow and lipstick) when I was young - it was armour to hide behind as I had little confidence.

Nowadays it's just moisturiser and lipstick. Very seldom do I apply nail polish.

Callistemon Thu 22-Aug-19 09:53:17

I prefer to use the temporary tattoos myself, notanan.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Aug-19 09:54:26

I always have gel varnish on my fingers and toes, and every day I wear perfume, couldn't leave my bedroom without it.

If at home or gym moisturiser only.

All other occasions- tinted moisturiser, brown eyeliner, brown mascara, taupe eyeshadow, blusher and lip tint/gloss.

(Also I could not function if my underwear was not matching, totally silly I know, but that's just how I am)

hereshoping Thu 22-Aug-19 10:40:04

I never, ever wear make-up, don't see the need for it as to my mind , I look find without.
I do however admire the fact that my two daughters look even more beautiful with make-up.
But when I ask them what I should use and the start to list primers etc, I think no, no, NO.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 22-Aug-19 10:42:36

Oh def wear make up foundation mascara n lipstick I feel more feminine when got it on n look better lol

leeds22 Thu 22-Aug-19 10:47:45

Don't go out without mascara, foundation, blusher and lipstick + eyebrow pencil if I can be bothered. Sometimes feel guilty when slobbing round the house au naturel and put mascara on but not sure DH notices.

SarahGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 22-Aug-19 10:52:29

We've loved reading this thread, including the recommendations and tips.

Some of you might find our page on Makeup for Older Women useful - it has tips on application as well as products that have been recommended by other gransnetters. And we've included video tutorials.

flowers

Liz46 Thu 22-Aug-19 10:52:35

I tried the sample of the Bobbi Brown tinted moisturiser and like it. I see it is on offer at Debenhams at the moment so I'll pop to Chester this afternoon. I'll look into the coloured eyebrow wax as a start. Thanks again ladies.

TwiceAsNice Thu 22-Aug-19 10:53:13

What gilly bob said

FC61 Thu 22-Aug-19 10:54:58

Since the age of 50 I have looked awful with make up on my face like Dame Edna! I occasionally pencilled in eyebrows and I still wear kohl eye liner but that’s it. Actually since testosterone replacement I’ve got thicker eyebrows. But as far as my face goes that’s the only good news.

absthame Thu 22-Aug-19 10:57:47

As a male, I do not use makeup etc although I do know some men who do.

I have a problem problem with many strong scents and aromas, they make it very difficult for me to breath. I can be walking down the road and someone walks past with a stro ng aroma from scent, aftershave etc and it may take me 5 or 10 minutes at best before I can continue on my way.

So use makeup if you wish but please be more considerate on the use of those aromatic extras.

Diggingdoris Thu 22-Aug-19 11:00:34

Only a bit of lipstick. Even if I walk the dog I have to put it on. Feel so pale without it.

EthelJ Thu 22-Aug-19 11:03:43

I feel I have to put make up on before I go out, foundation. Eye concealer al, máscara and lipstick but only very lightly. I didn't bother that much when I was younger but now I don't have the confidence to go out without it.

barbinabox Thu 22-Aug-19 11:04:19

Hi, this is my first post on Gransnet. I'm happy I found it!

Liz, I very rarely wore make up, due to my job but since I retired I found I wanted to spruce up occasionally.
Now, when my face is going to confront more than me or DH, I use a primer and a mineral powder type which really does make a difference. It evens out my skin tone and covers minor blemishes, which do seem to appear more these days.
I cannot find a mascara that doesn't cause irritation to my eyes - not even the well-known hypoallergenic brand - but have found the liquid eyeliners from Boots suit me.
I feel the makeup contributes to my self confidence which then impacts on my physical appearance. In other words it puts a smile on my face which always improves my physical appearance.

Calendargirl Thu 22-Aug-19 11:07:30

Hardly ever bother with make up. Am sure I would look better with it, but hey ho I tell myself you can’t gild the lily!

Aepgirl Thu 22-Aug-19 11:13:07

I always wear makeup - just moisturiser, eye shadow and mascara and lipstick in the summer, the full works in the winter when my summer glow has left. I certainly don’t look like a painted clown, quizqueen, just making the best of myself.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Aug-19 11:14:34

Hello Barbinabox, welcome to Gransnett, we are all friendly (well the politics threads get a bit lively!!) look forward to seeing more of your posts x

NotANana Thu 22-Aug-19 11:31:04

I have had my eyebrows (which had disappeared) micro bladed, so I don't need to bother with them any more. I need under eye concealer or my dark circles dominate my face - I use one from Boots No 7 - and then I wear a neutral eye shadow, eye liner (colour varies), Clinique Lash Power mascara because it stays put, a bit of cream blusher and a slick of lip balm, and I'm good to go.
If I can't be bothered, I just wear mascara. And concealer.

mischief Thu 22-Aug-19 11:32:46

Used to wear makeup all the time but since retiring 4 years ago I don't bother much. If I'm going to the shop or to see a friend I'll wear lipstick, if I'm seeing a gentleman friend or the family I'll do the whole look, shadow, mascara & lipstick. Never wear foundation, it just makes the wrinkles look worse.

Afeica1 Thu 22-Aug-19 11:32:46

Absolutely nothing and its so liberating!!

My past career it was a 'uniform standard' to wear the full works, so now I enjoy being able to run the brush through my hair and very occasionally apply some brow pencil before starting the day.

Either my [past] very strict skin care routine worked, or I'm just very lucky that I feel I look presentable as I am!

Cambia Thu 22-Aug-19 11:45:34

Go out barefaced but with a load of moisturiser on for my walk/jog early morning and then put make up on after breakfast. I can see the improvement immediately! Love make up and always have since I was 13 and drawing twiggy lashes in my face. Makes me feel good so definitely worth the effort. Oh and the workmen don’t recognise me later in the morning when I pass with make up rather than just a red face from jogging!!

Craftycat Thu 22-Aug-19 11:46:39

I haven't left the house without makeup since I was 15- excepting holidays if I am on beach all day.
I wear a light foundation- usually a powder one, blusher, 3x eye-shadows & mascara. I had my eyebrows microbladed to save using eyebrow pencil. I wear false eyelashes for evenings if we are going out.
I see no point in letting myself go just because I am approaching 70 next year.
I use far less makeup now than I did when I was younger but I then I came out of hospital twice having given birth to 10.5 lb sons with 2 sets of false lashes on!
I sometimes wonder how much I have spent over the years!!