Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

M&S

(157 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 12:59:03

I can highly recommend the 'New in' tencel shirts £29.50. I bought one in pale pink.
Not worn yet but fits fine, is soft and a lovely colour.
Also the ochre and black dress which was £49.50.
A young woman passed by when I was holding it up against myself to see if it suited, asked where the rack was and rushed off to get one.

EDIT: GNHQ here. Here's the link to the dress pictured to save you searching. smile

EllanVannin Thu 05-Sep-19 13:02:46

Anything with sleeves attracts me to buy. I can't bear having cold bare arms. I don't think sleeveless dresses are " dressy " anyway, or blouses for that matter.

MawB Thu 05-Sep-19 13:05:36

They are trying much harder aren’t they? Lots to tempt!
I just wonder if the A/W range will actually reach the smaller stores around the country or be restricted to flagship stores and the SE.

www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/shopping/ms-autumnwinter-2019-see-every-look-collection/

gillybob Thu 05-Sep-19 13:08:15

I do like that dress Gabriella but the neck puts me off. I can't be doing with ruffles and pussy bows around the neck .

I have just pushed the boat credit card out and ordered a lovely soft denim shirt and a pair of trainers from M&S . Can't wait to get them. smile

I actually think their styles are on the up .

gillybob Thu 05-Sep-19 13:10:12

www.marksandspencer.com/leather-panel-lace-up-trainers/p/p60282186?color=OCHRE

and

www.marksandspencer.com/denim-patch-pocket-shirt/p/p60258129?image=SD_01_T53_5016U_E2_X_EC_90&color=MEDIUMBLUE&prevPage=srp

GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 14:14:11

The trainers do look good gillybob. I expect you ordered the black coloured as they would go with everything.
Lime you, I don't like ruffles, bows and fussy necklines but I will wear the dress with the neck 'ties' undone which leaves a short V neckline.
It has two splits at the front too.
Your denim shirt is lovely alas, I already have one plus a thin dark denim boxy 'shacket' which I bought for £4 in Scope.
I'm sure you'll look and feel fabulous in your new duds. grin

GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 14:15:40

lime like

gillybob Thu 05-Sep-19 14:18:52

Oh no Gabriella I ordered the Ochre. They will still go with most things I have. I didn't think of wearing the dress with the front undone . I agree it will look much better. Now the colour would go perfect with my new Ochre trainers...…. Oh watch out Credit card. I can smell burning.

I am a very plain kinda girl (as you probably guessed) but do love a nice soft denim shirt. I plan to wear it open a bit like a jacket, or maybe done up half way with a coloured tee underneath .

GagaJo Thu 05-Sep-19 14:23:09

I used to love M&S but the clothes have become so matronly. I may BE a matronly age, but I don't want to look it.

I have my beloved M&S dresses from a few years ago and a while ago I had them copied by a dressmaker. They're my absolute go-to clothes for work. Comfy and yet smart and not designed only with the over 50's in mind.

GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 14:24:23

MawB
I agree, they do seem to be trying harder.
My nearest M&S super superstore is in Camberley which I have got lost in ? but I can usually get what I want online, however, I did buy the shirt and dress in the Guildford store which is not that big.

GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 14:25:39

GagaJo
Believe me, I certainly don't do 'matronly'.

gillybob Thu 05-Sep-19 14:31:40

We don't have an M&S store any longer so I have ordered my bits on line. Their styles are definitely looking up.

Jane10 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:20:43

I love Tencel. Its so soft and drapes so nicely.

Loislovesstewie Thu 05-Sep-19 15:31:54

Sorry but I buy nothing in m&S. The colours are awful, the styles are matronly and fussy, the bras never fit despite the staff telling me that I am a particular size. I think it's why they are doing so badly. My bras come from John Lewis, everything else I buy online. I suspect it's because when I was young I was a rebel and that has followed me on to , well, the age I am now!

grannysyb Thu 05-Sep-19 16:09:01

Was looking for a plain navy v neck cardigan yesterday, M and S had a couple, man made fabric and horrid flat colour. Found just what I wanted in the last shop that I went into, Uniqlo lovely fine merino and a good dark navy, £34.90, M and S used to do this kind of stuff, they need to get out and look at the competition.

kircubbin2000 Thu 05-Sep-19 16:29:45

Had a look at the dress but no way. I dont wear dresses and would need to lose about 4 stone to look good in it. Dont like the high neck or bow. Seasalt is more my style. Also thought trainers looked very flat. Have they any support?

kircubbin2000 Thu 05-Sep-19 16:30:55

I got 2 lovely cashmere sweaters from John Lewis.

gillybob Thu 05-Sep-19 16:37:54

As Gabriella suggested you could wear the dress open which would mean no high neck . I like Seasalt too but their prices have crept up quite a bit recently .

mumofmadboys Thu 05-Sep-19 16:44:28

I like Seasalt stuff especially in the sale and it all wears so well.
I personally don't like the dress shown earlier especially the bow at the neck.

Bakingmad0203 Thu 05-Sep-19 16:47:59

I got very excited seeing the M&S new trouser lines so I ordered 3 different styles in 3 different colours and 2 sizes. Guess what, they all have to go back! What on earth is going on? The quality of material was dreadful- badly creasing, the fit just didn’t hang right and the regular length was totally different on each pair.
Yes kircubbinn2000 I have never been disappointed with the quality from John Lewis, I shall go back there.

M0nica Thu 05-Sep-19 17:08:29

I have said it before, and I will say it again, I have never understood the attraction of M&S. For most of my life, with the exception of the occasional jewel, the clothes have always looked as if they were designed for someone 20 years my senior. Then I reached 70 and realised that the over 90 age group probably wasn't large enough for them to aim at. So was left at a loss as to who they were designing for.

However, recently I have been buying shoes from them, stylish and good quality. But otherwise it is as it always was, dull clothes with occasional jewels, so still worth a walk through now and again.

gillybob Thu 05-Sep-19 17:15:38

Well I can’t wait to get my Ochre suede trainers and my soft denim shirt . Right up my street . smile. Oh and I am tempted with the winter weight leggings too. A bit more substantial than just ordinary leggings and very good quality. I like to wear them with tunics .

GrannyGravy13 Thu 05-Sep-19 17:17:22

I have just discovered Hush, they have concessions in John Lewis and on line.

Brilliant for casual wear, their harem trousers are so comfy for traveling.

annep1 Thu 05-Sep-19 18:37:05

The trainers look nice but too flat for me.
These are the last ones I bought. Just a zip once you have the laces tied to suit you. I prefer this height of heel.

GagaJo Thu 05-Sep-19 19:25:41

Loislovesstewie, exactly. I am however, still wearing my M&S bras from a few years ago. I bought LOADS of a style I like and consequently, at least 15 of them are still in good nick. They're padded, push-up, plunge bras in a huge range of colours. I had friends that bought the same line and loved them. And what did M&S do? Discontinue them.