Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hair colour

(38 Posts)
Hazeld Thu 05-Sep-19 15:05:46

I am 66 years young and have long hair that I have had coloured for years now on and off since I was 16. I think I've decided I want to get rid of all the colour on my hair (at the moment it has a permanent colour on which I did last May) and see what the natural colour now is. From the roots that I see, it's looking very grey. I tried to do this once before at home and bought a colour stripper from Superdrug which was supposed to take all the colour out of your hair, leaving the natural one in it's place. Unfortunately after I'd finished, my hair looked no different whatsoever, it was still the same dyed colour. Can any of you lovely ladies recommend a colour stripper that works that doesn't cost a fortune please?

Gran2028 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:12:04

I was gifted shampoo bars and while they left my hair incredibly soft and shiny they also removed all the colour in just two weeks...washing hair every day...
I have gone back to my bottles!!

gillybob Thu 05-Sep-19 15:39:53

Hi Hazeld . Despite having the most gorgeous long blonde curly hair my DD always had her hair dyed in crazy colours such as blue, green, pink etc.

last year when she was pregnant she decided that she should grow up (aged 33) and go back to her natural colour. What carry on we had trying to strip the dye. In fact she ended up getting it all cut out as nothing worked. I think there are certain intense colours that do not react to the stripper so you may have to either try and dye again over the top going gradually lighter or else do what my DD did and have the colour cut out.

lemongrove Thu 05-Sep-19 17:56:09

Hazeld my DD tried this years ago, stripping the colour, the best thing was Head And Shoulders shampoo.
Before that she tried stripping dark hair colour off the normal way and it turned it bright ginger!

SalsaQueen Thu 05-Sep-19 18:58:22

I'm 60, and like you, colour my hair (it's dark). Last year I tried the colour stripper stuff, but I had to use 2 boxes of it, over a weekend (my hair was like straw at the end), and it did get rid of all the dark dye. I then put a mid-brown colour on, decided I didn't like it, so am back to being dark again.

The best thing would be to get a decent hairdresser to do it. It takes a few hours and isn't cheap (I had mine stripped and done blonde about 12 years ago).

M0nica Thu 05-Sep-19 19:36:57

Why not just let it grow out and adjust your hair style to suit while it is doing so. You could use non-permanent colour that washes out after so many washes to ease the pain.

Better that than using all those harsh chemicals on your hair.

fizzers Thu 05-Sep-19 19:41:11

you can either wait till all the colour grows out and get regular trims or go to a reputable hair dresser and get it professionally stripped out, I've successfully coloured my own hair at home for several years, but this is something I wouldn't attempt myself

kittylester Thu 05-Sep-19 19:53:18

My hairdresser over-highlighted my hair last time. She stripped the colour out successfully so I suggest having it done professionally.

phoenix Thu 05-Sep-19 19:58:14

I went from dark red to grey, took 4 hours in the salon, but was worth it.

I think the best advice I can give you is Do not try this at home!

Seriously, leave it to a professional.

midgey Thu 05-Sep-19 20:16:54

I had a friend who allowed hers to simply grow out, I’d say go to a hairdresser! She had a grey pudding on top of her head which grew very slowly!

GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 22:22:27

I'd shell out and get it done professionally.

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Sep-19 22:49:26

I tend to think harsh stripping (take that any way you like) can only be damaging to the hair.

My normally white hair is currently in a pastel shade of green and it will wash out in 10 or 12 showers.

And I'm a pretty old and decrepit 72 grin

GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 23:02:58

I like having my hair coloured professionally after some years of doing it at home.
My hairdresser advised me never to use Head n Shoulders as it dulls and strips hair colour so now I use L'Oréal Serie Expert which is tailored to suit your particular hair type.
I use their hot towel masque treatment too.

Bopeep14 Fri 06-Sep-19 09:06:45

I had my hair stripped at the hairdressers a year ago, i wish i hadn't, my hair is now awful, not at all what i was expecting apart from it being grey/white down to my ears its a horrible colour of blonde the rest of the way down to the ends, and my hair is long.

Its also very very dry and i have still not found a shampoo and conditioner yet that suits it, i have spent a fortune.

I have tried putting a grey colour on it but the blonde stays the same.

The way it looks at the moment is the way i am sure it would look if i hadn't stripped it but a nicer colour and in better condition.

MawB Fri 06-Sep-19 09:14:21

I would have advised cutting it Bopeep up to the regrowth, once damaged hair does not repair.
And then you could make a fresh start with either dyeing it again or going with the silver.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 09:17:40

I agree, a cut is always the best thing to do, but professional stripping of hair is safe.
The cheap way to do it ( and hair will be fine doing it this way)
Is to have a cut then always use Head And Shoulders.
DD did it this way.

Bopeep14 Fri 06-Sep-19 09:57:34

I have it cut every six weeks, but cutting it up to the grey is not an option for me, i prefer long hair, i have never had short hair.

I have got used to it now colour wise i just wish i could find a shampoo and conditioner that suits it.

Jeanlizzie Fri 06-Sep-19 10:03:55

Hi. That was a bit of a disappointment ,when I read ,the can any of you ladies recommend a good stripper? I had to have a look , and hair dye wasn't what I was expecting
Suppose it speaks volumes about me

Providencehelen Fri 06-Sep-19 10:10:24

and me Jeanlizzie! ?

janywoo Fri 06-Sep-19 10:15:03

There are color removers that shrink the dye molicule and they wash out. You may have to apply the product multiple times before you get any results. When i first use this product my client left with light brown hair and came back the next day with the black hair we were trying to remove, the hair dye had oxidized over night and because i hadn't removed all the dye her hair turned dark again.After several more applications her hair was a soft light brown, which she decided to live with until she grew it all out. The color removers that strip out dyes with harsh chemicals will stip your nautral color as well and are very damaging. Many times the harsh removers turn your hair a Tweety Bird yellow and clients would end up coloring it back dark. The product is called "color opps"

Providencehelen Fri 06-Sep-19 10:18:00

seriously - as most of us are suggesting. Stripping hair colour is really best carried out by the professionals.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 06-Sep-19 10:21:57

Well I was thinking of a different type of stripper, nah would never attempt to do that myself. In my opinion it needs to be done by a professional, I am quite dark haired have my hair cut every 5 weeks and colour mine myself as have grey roots yuk coming through all the time. But I can honestly say I wouldn’t attempt to do something like that at home,

maddyone Fri 06-Sep-19 10:51:50

Hahaha, the daily email gives the title of this thread as,

‘Can any of you lovely ladies recommend a stripper?’

I wondered what on earth I was going to read grin

Bopeep14 Fri 06-Sep-19 10:58:04

janywoo mine is not quite tweety bird yellow, I wish I could dye it another colour but it will not colour no matter what is used on it it’s as if stripping it has made it immune to dye.

I have even used the purple shampoo’s they don’t make it look any better.

I will just have to wait until it’s all grown out, in a few yearsgrin

FC61 Fri 06-Sep-19 11:18:03

My first thought was crikey I lead a sheltered life ! What sort of granny wants a stripper ? Then I thought must be about a paint stripper. But curiosity killed the cat so I read it lol ?.