Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Cotton Socks

(35 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 17-Sep-19 22:05:37

I want navy or grey cotton socks, why oh why are they advertised as cotton when they are not 100% cotton .

Am I alone in wanting 100% cotton ?

Shizam Thu 19-Sep-19 13:31:52

I am a bamboo sock convert, too. Bought them in Tesco’s.

SpringyChicken Wed 18-Sep-19 22:36:26

I buy online from Sock Shop. They have a huge selection including comfort tops at very reasonable prices.

GabriellaG54 Wed 18-Sep-19 20:25:46

I bought some knee-high bamboo socks from Debenhams last month - 2 prs for £10. Navy or beige. I bought navy for under knee high winter boots. They're very lightweight.

LondonGranny Wed 18-Sep-19 19:02:39

Unfortunately I think I have the world's sweatiest feet. I pad around the house in thick hiker's cotton socks in winter (slippers are generally not machine washable) but mostly bare feet in summer. What I love are cotton embroidered Chinese insoles. really great for summer when wearing socks is just too much. I just chuck them in the machine after a day's wear. They seem to last forever. I have at least ten pairs.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 18-Sep-19 18:48:39

Always use to wear cotton socks but I am now hooked on bamboo socks, so lovely and soft, warm in winter and cool in summer. Give them a try.

Hetty58 Wed 18-Sep-19 18:29:37

Bamboo is usually a mixture with cotton anyway and always soft and cool. I tend to buy socks for men as they have the plain colours and I don't like the girly ones.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 18-Sep-19 18:20:59

Love bamboo socks

Oopsminty Wed 18-Sep-19 17:33:17

Bamboo fan here as well

4allweknow Wed 18-Sep-19 16:54:44

I have changed to bamboo socks a d love them.

Aepgirl Wed 18-Sep-19 16:18:50

Yes, another vote for bamboo socks.

Nannarose Wed 18-Sep-19 13:53:45

This is a fantastic site for all socks, tights, stockings and all their variations: www.uktights.com/

They sell Falke 100% cotton socks, but I am with those who suggest bamboo. They also do cashmere socks, which make an amazing special gift.

I've no connection, just been buying from them since they were called Mytights, for years & years.

pen50 Wed 18-Sep-19 13:49:25

Almost certainly the bamboo fibre used for the socks is actually viscose made from bamboo as the raw material (and therefore pretty much identical to viscose made from wood pulp or any other plant material.) It's a synthetic fibre and not particularly environmentally friendly in manufacture.

It is possible to make natural bamboo fibre in a similar way to linen, by retting, but it's a much rarer material and unlikely to be in your socks unless specifically stated.

annodomini Wed 18-Sep-19 11:30:09

I like the bamboo socks I bought in Boots and will gradually replace most of my socks with bamboo. I like socks with a soft grip. Although I am not diabetic, I order diabetic socks as they all have this type of top. Amazon has a good selection as does Ebay.

Babs758 Wed 18-Sep-19 10:53:55

RE cotton tops. I buy the Manteray ones from Debenhams.. Not too expensive and very nice to wear. Not quite smart enough for work on "business meeting" days but fine otherwise… I have become quite a fan of them.

Thanks for the heads-up on cotton socks, I need these too!

Anniebach Wed 18-Sep-19 10:53:28

I didn’t know about bamboo socks ! As I only walk around the house hard wearing isn’t important,

jura2 Wed 18-Sep-19 10:52:18

mine are blessed ...

Kate51 Wed 18-Sep-19 10:49:31

Another vote for bamboo socks. Recently been converted by my daughter. Reasonably priced . And a delight to wear. I have psoriasis and find many irritate.

mischief Wed 18-Sep-19 10:44:18

Completely agree Springy. I've had bamboo socks for a few years now and they are still as soft and smooth as the day I bought them.
Bamboo is an amazing product. I have a bamboo toothbrush and also a bamboo cutting board which is so hard and doesn't stain, even with beetroot. We should grow Bamboo as a crop in the UK and make as much as we can out of it. It would be a good replacement for plastic in my opinion and biodegradable too.

Riggie Wed 18-Sep-19 10:44:04

As someone has said the presence of elastic means they cant be 100%cotton. Also there is often nylon added to the yarn to make them more hard wearing.

KnittyNannie Wed 18-Sep-19 10:26:59

I knit my own socks because I love warm woollen socks for the winter. The yarn is, however, usually 75% wool and 25% polysomething. This appears to be because the toes and heels wear a lot more quickly than the rest of the sock and gives it a longer wear life. Just a thought!

Sussexborn Wed 18-Sep-19 10:05:31

I have the same problem! I get overheated to an embarrassing degree unless I wear 100% cotton tops. I find I have to check labels in shops because even when they say cotton on the display board they are sometimes only 60% cotton. One reason buying online is easier. Put in ” 100% cotton” and that’s what you get.

midgey Wed 18-Sep-19 10:00:45

Try Pavers, I just bought some non elasticated cotton and polyester ones. I am very pleased with them. I’m sure they have a website.

Anniebach Wed 18-Sep-19 09:53:11

Thank you all. The socks I have seen are a mix of cotton, polyester and elastane , I don’t want polyester socks

Charleygirl5 Wed 18-Sep-19 09:21:44

I bought socks on A****n but I looked in the section for diabetics because the socks were wider and more stretchy- ideal for me. The socks I bought stayed up.

Fennel Wed 18-Sep-19 09:16:29

John Lewis have cotton socks in the ladies hosiery section. Also wool kneehighs, I bought 2 more pairs yesterday. They're lightweight durable and machine washable.
You can probably buy them online.