Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Summer’s over! (I hope)

(66 Posts)
MawB Sun 22-Sep-19 17:14:58

A last hurrah yesterday -wasn't lovely?
But today we’ve had much lower temperatures, rain, even thunder and I have taken an executive decision to pack away the summer clothes - the linens, the t shirts, the white trousers!
Suddenly I feel the need for sleeves and darker trousers. Can’t wait to wear my new Seasalt coatigan either.
I am rediscovering some of my cooler weather clothes and have already filled two big bags for the charity shop for jumpers I don’t even remember wearing last year.
All very liberating!

Babs758 Mon 23-Sep-19 08:07:16

I have my trusty thermals ready but am hanging into summer and still wearing linen. Attended a birthday party in London over the weekend and it was pretty warm even into the evening. But have two old cashmere sweaters ready to come out for Autumn. I love them and always feel warm and cosy in them without the weight. I need to learn how to darn as one has moth holes!

gillybob Mon 23-Sep-19 08:20:40

Well I’m still waiting patiently for my summer to start . It hasn’t been up to much in the North East this year . sad

JackyB Mon 23-Sep-19 09:06:12

I love September but it's only really just started here. T shirts up to the day before yesterday.

There doesn't seem to be what the Germans call "Übergang" any more. One day you're swimming in the lake, the next you've lit the fire in the lounge. This is also noticeable in Spring - Easter can be cold and wet, even snow, and a week later you've got the garden furniture out.

So layers it is.

KatyK Mon 23-Sep-19 10:08:03

I much prefer winter clothes - thick tights and boots. I never feel quite comfortable in summer stuff. I'd rather cover up these days.

Shirleyw Mon 23-Sep-19 10:19:43

I love the summer but spring and autumn are my faves....now im getting bored with my summer clothes and want to wear my new ones....I love seasalt..... btw, they have the £10,£15 or £25 off , depending how much you spend offer atm...

Sheilasue Mon 23-Sep-19 10:22:39

It’s lovely here in the SE the rain isn’t coming into later thank goodness. Yesterday was miserable cloudy and showery but cleared up in the afternoon.
I love the sunshine but not that really hot weather and having had a few weeks of an Indian summer have really enjoyed it.
I think this makes the winter shorter if the weather stays sunny and warm. Hoping it’s coming back not getting any winter clothes out yet. Have long sleeved t shirts and jeans if it turns a bit cooler.

Rosina Mon 23-Sep-19 10:27:25

Autumn is the best time of year for me; golden sunshine, clear blue skies, gentle breezes, stunning foliage, and the ability to get a good night's sleep. How anyone can like feeling sweaty and overheated, not to mention exhausted after tossing and turning all night in a humid bedroom absolutely beats me. Once August is over I feel my mood lifting and I start looking out the clothes I like best!

Jaye53 Mon 23-Sep-19 10:41:29

I actually cry when summers over.but I do think I have SAD sad

Kim19 Mon 23-Sep-19 10:41:30

My wardrobe stays the same all year round. I simply layer up or down accordingly. Really rather dislike autumn in that I see it as harbinger to winter which I somewhat tolerate (or survive!) but certainly never enjoy. I get through it by arranging more meetings with friends and family or having them to stay. I've heard it said that disliking the cold is an age thing but I didn't enjoy it as a child either. I remember my Mum saying 'one snowman and that was it for you'. I now manage even without the snowman! I'm currently making the most of every bit of sunshine and mildness each day offers. A very beautiful day with me here and I will be out in it shortly. Yippee!

Houndi Mon 23-Sep-19 10:55:30

Love the summer went out for cream tea Saturday overlooking Malvern hills than walked it of walking to the ridge and british camp on the Malvern hills glorious.Weekend going away to peak district so hope this wonderful indian summer continues.Hate the winter that why bookedxa cruise to go to New Zealandcand Australia will be there late spring and towards the early summer bliss

Craftycat Mon 23-Sep-19 11:00:29

NOOO! I hate winter.
Luckily we still have warm sunny weather today although we had showers yesterday.
I'm in shorts & a sleeveless top & am in no rush at all to get out the warmer clothes!
Winter is so long. Summer just flies by.

Theoddbird Mon 23-Sep-19 11:12:42

My gorgeous quirky linen pinifore dresses are worn all year...jumpers in winter and tees in summer are as my dungarees. I don't really have summer and winter wardrobes. I do have far too many clothes though...week off work...going to get stuck in. Mind you I should be using this sunny day to cut wood...

Aepgirl Mon 23-Sep-19 11:16:38

No, far too early to put away summer clothes. It’s certainly not cold yet. Beautiful sunshine here today, and washing blowing in the gentle breeze.

Jan51 Mon 23-Sep-19 11:28:08

I prefer spring and autumn as I don't handle the summer heat veryy well.
Since I retired 4 yrs ago I have dramatically reduced the numbercof clothes I have, so no need to pack away any, I just keep them all in the wardrobe and cupboard. I need t- shirts all year round anyway as DH has the house so hot I wear summer clothes all year indoors.

GreenGran78 Mon 23-Sep-19 12:14:24

I like our summers, but I’m off to Australia in November, and not coming back until the beginning of February. I will miss most of our winter, but I would prefer to be cold, rather than too hot. One day, last time I visited, it reached 46C in Sydney! Even the air-con couldn’t cope, so we took refuge in the local shopping mall for the afternoon!
I like our Spring best, when all the plants are putting out new leaves, and the bulbs are flowering.

Soniah Mon 23-Sep-19 12:15:06

Love autumn but far too warm here for warmer clothes!

MawB Mon 23-Sep-19 12:22:30

Long sleeved Joules harbour tops this week - I can save the snuggly sweaters until the temperature drops to single figures.

Belleringer Mon 23-Sep-19 12:25:48

MOnica - I have been waiting years for high waisted trousers to come back in. Drop waists come right across the 'middle age spread' and either slide down below it or I bulge out over the waistband. High waists sit neatly over the top of the flab. We are all different!

Nannyxthree Mon 23-Sep-19 12:48:28

Light coloured trousers put away but not much else yet. Love the colours of the autumn leaves but am concerned that this year many will have fallen before they've had a chance to change colour. I assume that's to do with the dry Summer.

Camelotclub Mon 23-Sep-19 13:02:08

I've always liked autumn as I stop being bitten by any flying or crawling thing that exists! I like the autumn colours of the leaves and hedgerows.

Nanny41 Mon 23-Sep-19 13:32:25

I am not giving in to Autumn until the last minute Winter is long enough. Today here in Cumbria I had to take off my summer jacket and just walk about with a cardigan on its lovely weather here but isnt expected to last . Roll on spring 2020!

debgaga Mon 23-Sep-19 13:47:29

Love Gabriella’s ascerbic comments ?

Grannycool52 Mon 23-Sep-19 13:53:21

Maw, I love your coatigan! We don't have Seasalt here but I shall have a look online.
I love summer, but it's very autumny here today and I'm enjoying being all cosy in a cuddly jumper ?

Stella14 Mon 23-Sep-19 14:18:25

I’m a Spring and Summer girl. I love birdsong and my garden full of flowers, bees and butterflies. I am the Goldilocks of temperatures though. I hate being cold. I like it warm, but not too warm . . . LOL!

I too love Seasalt clothes. It’s great that they do larger sizes in most of their range and don’t just pay ‘lip service’ to them. I don’t love that if I really like something, I have to pay full price, as their discount’s are rare and small when then do have them. Items tend to sell out, so waiting for a discount would, most often lead to disappointment. There clothes are a real pleasure to wear though.

Riggie Mon 23-Sep-19 14:51:56

It turned cold as we came back from our holiday so as things got washed I put them away only to have to get some of them out again!!