Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Throwing clothes away

(27 Posts)
MawB Mon 23-Sep-19 12:19:41

Not talking about fast fashion or that teenage thing of buying a new outfit for clubbing on a Saturday night and chucking it away on Monday, but is it a bit of an old lady thing to keep clothes beyond their “best by” date for whatever reason?
“It’s still got plenty of life in it/I’m not fussed about being in fashion/ I always preferred flares/elasticated waists/bootcut/if I wait long enough it’s bound to come back into fashion/it’ll see me out/who’s going to look at me anyway/ it’s a classic/keep it long enough and it will count as vintage/beige goes with everything/its comfy/I don’t go anywhere”

What’s your excuse?

Lona Mon 23-Sep-19 12:24:04

I’ve hung onto three or four expensive pieces because I can’t afford to spend that sort of money any more.
Apart from that I love buying new clothes so I keep the charity shops busy!

LondonGranny Mon 23-Sep-19 12:30:12

Any clothes that are completely worn out either get cut up for quilting/patching/dusters or go to the clothes recycling bin at the end of my road. If they're still good they go to Oxfam although that's rare. I usually wear things to death.

hugshelp Mon 23-Sep-19 13:04:59

I've still got clothes from before I was 20 and I'm nearly 60. Sadly they don't fit now but I'm learning to sew and hoping to rectify that. They did still fit till post menopause and have been worn a lot.
I never throw clothes away until they are worn out. And then they usually end up as dusters or paint cloths or stuffing. I do give a bit to charity when I really go off stuff but I'm not big on buying clothes anyway, just tend to buy what I need to replace mainly and the odd treat that really catches my eye.

Oopsminty Mon 23-Sep-19 13:07:34

I'm not one for hanging on to clothes but my friend is. We were meeting up one evening for a few drinks. Walked into the bar and there she is, sat there with one of my tops on from when I was about 15. This was when we were mid-50s. I didn't even know I'd lent it to her!

Urmstongran Mon 23-Sep-19 13:13:36

I’m a WASPI Maw so I have to be a bit careful. Choices have to be made. I do have some money to spend but can’t have all I’d like. Clothes then become a lesser priority for me (in the short term - roll on July next year for my SP when I can spend a bit more).

Being overweight doesn’t help. I don’t have the same joy lately anyway. That’s a problem I need to address!

EllanVannin Mon 23-Sep-19 13:24:29

Wishful thinking that 20/30 year old clothes will still fit as they did. I'm one of such offenders who hang on to things and have come to the conclusion that it's a minor hoarding problem.
Our excuse is " that they'll come in for something ", but the sad fact is that they rarely do and as we age, the full, flowery, sparkly skirts etc. don't do anything for an 80 year old,hahahaha.

jura2 Mon 23-Sep-19 13:25:39

btw never ever THROW clothes away.

hugshelp Mon 23-Sep-19 13:30:27

I seriously don't feel constrained by age with regards clothing EllanVannin I've just knitted myself a bright orange sloppy joe jumper and I love it. I've always looked forward to being the old lady in the purple hat. I know roughly what I want to do with the pieces I've kept, I just don't have the skill to do it yet.
I have given some lovely pieces to charity shops, that I knew I couldn't wear again and couldn't see any way to alter to allow it. Including the suit I got married in. I did keep it for quite a long time for sentiment but decided that it really was too good to sit in my wardrobe forever.

paddyann Mon 23-Sep-19 13:35:46

I pass them on when I get fed up with them,I have acoupld of things in the attic that I would love to fit into again,my wedding dress for example but it was a tiny size eight even before it was altered to fit me....no chance of it ever going on now.
My sister gets bags of clothes from me and she passes stuff on to her daughters and sisters in law .Clothes never get worn out here so everything is in good"nick" when it goes.Now if I could just get my OH to part with his stuff we'd be fine.He has literally a hundred ..or more shirts in his wardrobe ,more suits than most folk have in a lifetime and umpteen jackets and shoes.He buys clothes most weeks as he has always been image conscious and in his job looking smart is important

eazybee Mon 23-Sep-19 13:37:37

I am very much of the 'if you haven't worn it for two years dispose of it' school of thought, because keeping clothes for years before sending them to the charity shop, when they are out of date and fashion, means nobody benefits.

My wardrobe now has more space, I have fewer clothes but wear them more frequently, which is partly because I don't work therefore don't need a copious supply of fresh, clean clothes every day.

Plus I couldn't wear jeans to work.

PamelaJ1 Mon 23-Sep-19 14:04:55

I had a bit of a clear out the other week. I put in a very pretty dress that I’ve had for years. To be honest it was always a little on the tight side but the fabric is lovely so I just liked seeing it hanging there.
Anyway, away it went. Next time I was in town I was having a general wander round the stores and practically found its twin. Sometimes the fashions don’t change much.
No I didn’t buy it.

Tangerine Mon 23-Sep-19 14:09:31

If I haven't worn something for two or three years, I give it to a charity shop.

Moving house always involves a clearout and, whenever I've moved, I've always ended up taking lots of clothes and other items to the charity shop.

KatyK Mon 23-Sep-19 14:46:45

I keep clothes for years. If they look OK I wear them. I would never throw clothes away. I take them to a charity shop. Our local one even takes damaged clothes as they say they can sell them as rags.

BlueBelle Mon 23-Sep-19 14:49:13

I rarely wear things out and I don’t hoard if I don’t wear, but I never throw out they get passed on to charity shops, refugees, homeless never thrown unless they are torn or spoilt which is rare

Grannycool52 Mon 23-Sep-19 14:50:21

I tend to keep 'good' clothes. However, I read that the average UK woman has 90 items of clothing in her wardrobe/drawers & the average USA woman has 103.
I counted mine and was shocked at the number! So I've been working all year on gradually reducing, with the aim of getting below 100 (including both winter & summer items). It's been slow because of all the 'very good reasons' our generation comes up with! But I am now down to 105!

M0nica Mon 23-Sep-19 17:57:05

I have always chosen to have a fairly small wardrobe of clothes, wear them intensively until I am sick of them or they are showing signs of wear and then send them to a Charity shop or textile recycling. My old gardening jeans got recycled today.

I have one or two garments of nostalgic value, but generally get rid of them one way or another as soon as I cease to wear them.

MawB Mon 23-Sep-19 18:04:09

btw never ever THROW clothes away

Well obviously I meant pass on/give to charity shop/ give to clothing banks/or put in recycling Jura - I should have thought that was understood. .

PamelaJ1 Mon 23-Sep-19 18:34:46

It was Maw?

MawB Mon 23-Sep-19 18:38:25

Obviously not by jura hmm

jura2 Mon 23-Sep-19 18:44:36

yes, it was - but I know some people who do throw away clothes in bin by the sack load- sadly- so the title made me jump a bit.

GrandmaMoira Mon 23-Sep-19 18:45:36

Most of my unworn clothes are due to weight gain. I keep for a few years in the hope of getting back into them. Having got rid of all my small clothes, I lost weight to had to buy again. Sadly, the weight is back up again so am buying bigger sizes.

MawB Mon 23-Sep-19 18:50:22

Here in the UK local authorities are mostly hot on fabrics inclusion in recycling so not an issue.

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Sep-19 18:54:46

I either sell on eBay or take to H&M who give a £5 voucher for every carrier bag of clothes you take into one of their shops. It doesn't matter where you bought the clothes, or missing buttons, torn etc. Even pillowcases, duvet covers, tablecloths etc. Occasionally give to charity shops but prefer H&M vouchers.

hugshelp Mon 23-Sep-19 20:28:45

I didn't know that about H & M GabriellaG54 thank you.