Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Top picks for petites

(21 Posts)
M0nica Mon 11-Nov-19 18:00:48

I am now 5'2'', I was 5'4.5''. DGD aged 12, and nearly six inches taller, pats me on the head and calls me 'little grandma'. I threaten to bite her knees.

What amazes me is that, I still have difficulties getting trousers and tights that are long enough in the leg.

Brunette10 Mon 11-Nov-19 14:42:44

I have to say and I know this is a strong word but shops don't offer the same styles, quality, quantity in petite clothing/shoes as they offer 'normal' sized people and to be honest I think it's quite discriminatory. We can't help being petite, we didn't ask to be petite. It's very frustrating I can assure you. Petite is labelled for 5'3" and under, that size to me is big in comparison to my 4'11.5" sad

SirChenjin Mon 11-Nov-19 14:21:15

Me too. DH charmingly calls me ‘troll size’ hmm

grapefruitpip Mon 11-Nov-19 14:19:56

mmm it's a tricky one....I am a Petite in some places, with short legs and some bits are super size.

SirChenjin Mon 11-Nov-19 14:18:14

Or short is just a less fancy way of saying you’re closer to the ground than the average full grown adult!

SirChenjin Mon 11-Nov-19 14:17:16

Petite is everything is smaller - shoulders, torso, arms. Short just means short in the leg.

At least, that’s what I’ve always thought the difference was confused

grapefruitpip Mon 11-Nov-19 14:06:18

What's the difference between Petite and Short ?

Eloethan Tue 05-Nov-19 23:38:25

I will be 70 next year and am 5' 1", size 12 (or quite often 10 for tops/jumpers - not long and baggy but shortish and slightly fitted).

It's difficult to speak for other petites but I don't like bright, garish colours or big patterns. I like white, cream and pastel colours. I usually wear jeans or trousers. I prefer tops/jumpers with three-quarter length sleeves. I rarely wear dresses but, when I do, prefer them to be well over the knee - almost midi. I don't like round necks or polo necks. I like slash or v-necks.

As Monica said, it does sound rather unwise to open a dress shop when you have no experience of that area of retail. So many of these small enterprises don't make it and I think it's often because they start off over-confident and under-prepared.

Judy54 Tue 05-Nov-19 17:13:15

Yes agree buying clothes for petites can be difficult. I found myself a good dressmaker who also does alterations but of course that adds on to the price I have already paid for the garments. Separates work best for me as do plain colours big patterns are a no no! My passion is shoes and as a size 2 that is another problematic area as most UK shoes shops start from a size 3. Best places over the Years have been Italy and Spain and I hang on to my shoes for ever!

cangran Tue 05-Nov-19 11:53:23

I am 5'2" and like short tops that skim over the tummy without being huge. Some Seasalt clothes come in petite sizes and this is especially useful for coats, dresses & trousers. I have also had nice jackets from M&S from their small range of petite clothes.

Brunette10 Tue 05-Nov-19 10:07:45

I am a petite 4'11.5" and have the most desperate time to purchase nice clothes. By that I mean just the same as the normal height person. Can't get dresses without hem having to come up. From my shoulder to my waist I'm short so everything is just too big.Jeans are M & S petite short fit fine. Blouses I'm lucky to get one that fits. Even Next petite range is too big. Frustrating and stressful when I can't get just nice clothes to suit. Sorry I can't help but I can't help myself smile

M0nica Tue 05-Nov-19 09:45:10

PhoebeWard It doesn't make sense, you are opening a dress shop but speak very vaguely about where you will buy stock and then ask what styles petite size women wear.

I would think it would be wiser not to open your shop until you have some years of experience in the retail women's clothing trade and have a very clear idea of what kind of shop you want who your target market is and that should be in a sector that you know inside out and back to front.

As you have a simiar kind of clothing query on another thread, I must confess to wondering whether you are genuine in your endeavours.

SirChenjin Tue 05-Nov-19 08:46:51

I’m with NotAGran - I don’t want anything special, just the same as everyone else but smaller, with sleeves, waistbands and necklines where they’re supposed to be. I also don’t want overly fussy, doll like clothes iykwim - many petite clothes seem to be designed for Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter for some reason

Marydoll Tue 05-Nov-19 08:37:31

For me, the biggest problem is sleeve lengths.
I always have to alter sleeves, as they are always too long. Bracelet length is ideal.
It's easy enough to do on some fabrics, but knitted dresses alway pose a problem.
Good luck with your venture.

Curlywhirly Tue 05-Nov-19 08:29:36

Another petite here - no baggy shapeless tops, they just make you look like a bag of potatoes! For me tailored clothes work best and definitely separates as dresses rarely fit in the right places.

annep1 Tue 05-Nov-19 08:21:16

Sorry Noragran Notagran55

annep1 Tue 05-Nov-19 08:19:47

Agree with * Noragran* we want the same. Not sure I understand the question.

Apricity Tue 05-Nov-19 08:10:56

Phoebe, do hope your venture goes well. I am almost 70, am 5'1" (or I was!) so definitely in the undertall category. Separates are what I go for as dresses etc are always wrong in the waist for me. Pants that are designated as 7/8 on other people often work well as full length on me.

My wardrobe these days is mostly pants, skinny, with mid thigh tunic tops that cover the bumpy bits. Tunic tops can be short sleeved, three quarter or long. The fabric and accessories indicate whether casual or more formal. You can do a lot with black pants, a simple tunic top and a stunning necklace.

This wardrobe covers all seasons with fabric adjusted as needed. I like merino fine wool knits and stylish long cardigans to accommodate weather changes. I always choose plain fabrics, no patterns and dress up with interesting necklaces often purchased on my travels, earrings and scarves and pashminas. It works for me. Good luck.

Lisagran Tue 05-Nov-19 07:19:06

Good luck with your venture, indeed - especially if you’re about to open up and have “no idea about this type of market” smile . It depends on the style of your shop generally, what sort of area it’s in, what competition you have, the price range you’ll be selling, etc. If it’s a small boutique type shop, they often have clothes - and then scarves, jewellery and bags that ‘go with’ the clothing, which is handy.

NotAGran55 Tue 05-Nov-19 06:59:26

I am petite and just want the same as taller women but cut proportionally to fit - shorter sleeves etc

Why not take a look on-line at the High Street brands for inspiration?
Here’s Boden for instance where I buy from .
www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-petite-range#nav
Good luck with your venture.

PhoebeWard Tue 05-Nov-19 06:47:54

In the following week, I’ll open up my first dress shop, and I’m planning to get some of the items from one of these Commercial Road wholesalers that was recommended to me. But before doing that, I‘m just curious about the current picks for petites. Can you recommend some styles that I can consider? I have no idea about this type of market so your tips will be helpful. Thanks a lot.