Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Evening in Paris

(16 Posts)
seadragon Mon 11-Nov-19 15:33:32

Both my mum and my grandma always wore Evening in Paris and I always associated the fragrance with warmth and contentment. It seemed to linger on them both all day. It was reissued, in the 90's, I think, but I've not seen it again since and seem to remember it was not quite the same as before; perhaps rather too sweet. My daughter brought me back Fragonard from France once and it was lovely. She said it was the favourite for all French women. It lingered all day and I received many compliments about it. I bought some more on line but don't think it was genuine. Also got very excited when M & S announced they would be stocking Fragonard but it turned out to be a range of scents, none of which I recognized as the original though the packaging was identical.... I have always admired Angel on others but it smells different on me and costs a fortune anyway. The same with Opium... I'm making do with a daily squirt of Fenjal body spray at the moment but no compliments so far. (No complaints either though). Just a wee trip down memory lane, this, really....

Septimia Mon 11-Nov-19 15:39:23

My mum wore Coty 'L'Aimant', so I associate that with her. I wear it occasionally - I must take after her as it seems to suit us.

I've had expensive perfume, but I don't like it any better.

When I was teaching I used to put some on my wrists and sit with my head resting on my hand when listening to some of the less fragrant children reading!

Buffybee Mon 11-Nov-19 15:53:00

I love perfume seadragon, funnily enough, my favourite is Angel and I have used it from when it first came out. I get many compliments about it and friends who have bought it tell me, like you, that it doesn't smell the same on them.
I buy other perfumes and enjoy them for a while but get bored of them before I've used half, so hand them over to my Granddaughters.
Recent ones I have given away are: Narcisco, Alien and Mon Guerlain Floral, all nice for a while but I always have Angel.

M0nica Mon 11-Nov-19 16:27:44

My mother wore a Coty perfume, whose name I cannot remember, then Elizabeth Arden's Blue Grass and finally Worth Je reviens.

I loved the Blue Grass and still wear it in the winter months. In summer I wear my all time favourite Christian Dior Diorissimo. A friend sprayed some on me when I was 16 and it was love at first smell.

I have used all sorts of other much less expensive Lily-of-the-Valley scents since but none compares with the Dior original and I can now afford to use it in the summer months.

grannysyb Mon 11-Nov-19 17:12:39

When DH and I first got together he bought me KL by Karl Lagerfeld which I loved, now discontinued and I can't find anything else which suits me.

Daddima Mon 11-Nov-19 17:19:10

Agent Provocateur for me. I get it from Perfumes Direct online, at a fraction of shop price.

Body Shop White Musk reminds me of my mother, & 4711 reminds me of my granny!

Jessity Mon 11-Nov-19 19:51:45

My mother loved Estee Lauder Youth Dew, a perfume so strong it could fell you at fifty paces!

My all-time love is/was Givenchy III, alas discontinued a while ago. I now wear, from the same “green chypre” perfume family Diorella and Yves St Laurent Y.

EllanVannin Mon 11-Nov-19 20:20:36

Mitsouko when I can get it. I have the soap at the moment.

I used to have half a dozen perfumes on the go when I was working as a chap used to come to the hospital now and again selling " testers " of various perfumes at silly prices----the real stuff, not fake and he did a roaring trade at the hospital.

SpringyChicken Mon 11-Nov-19 23:11:24

Seadragon, Bourjois make Soir de Paris (Evening in Paris) now. I've just seen it for sale online.

blondenana Tue 12-Nov-19 10:35:30

My mother always loved Evening in Paris, i can still see the little blue bottle
I recently had a spray of Alien while in Debenhams and i'm hooked it's beautiful

eazybee Tue 12-Nov-19 11:30:32

I won a bottle of 'Evening in Paris' as first prize in the Twist competition at the Boys' Grammar School dance; no discos in those days. I kept it for years.

Teetime Tue 12-Nov-19 12:04:41

My mother did not wear much perfume (claimed it gave her migraines) but on special occasions a splash of 4711 or Yardley Lavender Talc.

I love big perfumes and am currently on Givenchy L'interdit - heavenly.

annodomini Tue 12-Nov-19 12:47:12

I remember Evening in Paris in the little blue bottle with a silver motif. I bought it for my aunt - from Woolworths - at Christmas when I was ten or so.
Thanks, jessity, for your description of Youth Dew which could 'fell you at 50 paces*. My DS gave me some at Christmas a few years ago and I feel I ought to wear it when I see him, though I'm not sure that he'd notice. I have a couple of Liz Earle fragrances and Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noire but my favourite is Guerlain's Samasara - quite exotic and spicy, like me.

annodomini Tue 12-Nov-19 12:48:09

Samasara Samsara

EllanVannin Tue 12-Nov-19 12:59:59

Teetime I've got a dozen samples of the Givenchy perfume right now. Ebay on the perfume samples page.These were a sealed lot for £7.99. It is a nice one but don't like buying big bottles in case I get fed up of it.

seadragon Tue 12-Nov-19 15:31:52

Thank you all. I'll maybe have another sniff around...especially at 'Soir de Paris' (special thank you to Springy Chicken for that)....