Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Faux Fur Coats

(23 Posts)
rafichagran Sun 17-Nov-19 12:16:07

I am looking to buy a long faux fur coat. I am going out soon to look. I would be grateful if you can tell me whether you have seen any nice one's while out shopping and where.
I will stop for coffee as soon as I get to the centre and read if I have any replies then.

Maggiemaybe Sun 17-Nov-19 19:41:20

I've just seen this, rafichagran, obviously too late to be of any help for you today!

But I will say I have a lovely faux fur coat that came from TK Maxx. They'd a few to choose from at the time.

Fennel Sun 17-Nov-19 20:11:19

They're very much in vogue this autumn, I expect most shops have them. Even Tesco.
For once I feel 'in style' because I have similar coat, more like brushed wool, which I bought 16 years ago in a sale.
I think they're lovely and will sell well.

rafichagran Sun 17-Nov-19 20:27:48

Thankyou for replying. Funnily enough I tried the ones in TK Maxx but they did not have my size. I am going out in my lunch hour tommorow to the one in the town where I work to see if they have my size.
Yes they are very popular, I must have gone in a dozen stores and they had either sold out or had only 8 and 10's left.
I particularly want a longer one, and they were the one's that had sold out.

lemongrove Sun 17-Nov-19 20:42:26

Hope you find what you’re looking for Raficha must admit I hadn’t noticed any in the shops.
When you do buy one.....be careful and don’t wear it for a wander through the woods!(Unless it’s a pink/ blue one.)
Poachers are everywhere.?

jo1book Sun 17-Nov-19 21:27:07

My DGD has a long tan faux fur coat from Primark; it is very nice.

rafichagran Sun 17-Nov-19 22:55:57

I will look in Primark as well. I feel a song coming on, If I go down to the woods today I sure want a good surprise.

Lilypops Sun 17-Nov-19 23:14:27

I have a full length grey faux fur, I love it , but it was bought last year from Wallis, might be worth a look to see if they still have them ,

Lilypops Sun 17-Nov-19 23:15:06

Faux fur coat !!

Marydoll Sun 17-Nov-19 23:21:04

Matalan have 30% off all coats, not many fur coats online, but lots in store, TU at Sainsbury's also have faux fur coats.

M0nica Mon 18-Nov-19 08:05:04

I have a wonderful warm all embracing fur coat that I bought in a local charity shop.

M0nica Mon 18-Nov-19 08:05:22

I should make clear. It is faux fur.

Juliet27 Mon 18-Nov-19 08:21:09

Worth looking on ebay?

EllanVannin Mon 18-Nov-19 10:04:10

To everyone's horror I've got a fur jacket and I've not had any eggs thrown at me yet unless folk think it's fake.
I know it's not fake because of the warmth and it doesn't allow the wind to blow through it.
With some fakes you can't tell the difference anyway, apart from the inner lining.

For everyday my old sheepskin comes into its own, again, animal, which is the only thing that keeps the cold out because synthetic ones don't.

jo1book Mon 18-Nov-19 10:10:20

It comes down to price. One website has a shearling coat for £1.500! Phew.

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-Nov-19 11:33:26

My DMIL gave me a wonderful real fur, 40s style, back in 1980, when I was heavily pregnant and couldn’t fasten my winter coat. I deeply disapproved of fur but, oh, how I loved swishing round in it. smile

Sadly, the moths loved it even more than I did and I had to throw it out a couple of months later.

rafichagran Mon 18-Nov-19 13:10:30

Monica I went into a lovely charity shop and they had a lovely faux fur coat. It was Dennis Basso, they were selling it for 19.99. I dithered and went shopping, went back 30 minutes later and it had been sold. Lesson learned there.

rafichagran Thu 21-Nov-19 19:48:08

Thanks to everyone who replied to me. I finally got one in my size, in TK Maxx. It feels really warm.

jura2 Thu 21-Nov-19 19:51:51

hope you enjoy it - but sadly, faux fur is diabolical for the environment...

MawB Thu 21-Nov-19 19:58:56

You have to laugh, I once heard “faux fur” referred to as “fox fur” - quite another thing!

How does it damage the environment unless you put it through the washing machine Jura ?

rafichagran Thu 21-Nov-19 20:12:09

jura why is it bad for the environment. Just asking as I have never heard this said before.

EllanVannin Thu 21-Nov-19 21:17:32

Faux doesn't disintegrate, no man-made fibres do. Fur does though.

NanTheWiser Fri 22-Nov-19 17:13:06

I bought two faux fur jackets last year - one from eBay and one from Etsy, both "vintage", but made from Tissavel (no longer being manufactured). Tissavel was the very best faux fur, made in France and are beautiful! I only wear them on special occasions though.