Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Vests!

(19 Posts)
MawB Tue 19-Nov-19 10:15:03

OK not the most glamorous of subjects unless you coyly refer to them as “camis”.
I have a few 30/70 silk/ cotton knit camisoles which I bought from Woolovers years ago which I am now pressing into service as winter vests.
However these will not last forever -does anybody have any recommendations of warm “semmets” which do not itch, do feel soft and will keep my middle warm?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 19-Nov-19 10:18:10

Bella di Notte sell cashmere and silk vests with a nice bit of lace.

Good quality.

glammanana Tue 19-Nov-19 10:21:31

"JLewis" have some nice cami's in different lengths some even have cap sleeves well worth looking at.

henetha Tue 19-Nov-19 10:23:05

I can't wear vests, after being forced into hand-kitted, very itchy ones throughout my childhood and teens.

MrsJamJam Tue 19-Nov-19 10:32:26

mine all come from M and S. Nothing is itchy and I am another who cannot wear wool next to my skin. I have a couple of pretty thermal ones for the very coldest weather, the rest are mainly soft strappy camisoles.

MawB Tue 19-Nov-19 10:45:17

Do you remember Chilprufe vests?
They managed to be as stiff as cardboard and scratchy at the same time!

Alexa Tue 19-Nov-19 10:48:16

Chilprufe was great! A mix of cotton and wool. It kept my little sons warm . It kept me warm.

My parents called vests semmits. Cold nights my mother instructed me to keep my semmit on in bed.

M0nica Tue 19-Nov-19 11:10:19

1 traditional vest rarely worn but half a dozen long sleeved thermal vests worn all winter through.

Squiffy Tue 19-Nov-19 11:13:55

Maw Silkthredz sell 70% silk 30% cotton vests/semmits and t-shirts. They'd never win an award for glamour, but they feel good and they're a good length. Sulis sell silk vest and camis, also a good length.

Charleygirl5 Tue 19-Nov-19 11:20:22

I have a couple I bought in Primark but it was a few years ago. I also can't tolerate wool next to my skin and that includes a woolen cardigan- my arms must be covered.

DoraMarr Tue 19-Nov-19 13:29:18

Maw I remember chilprufe underwear, our neighbour thought it was “childproof”. I also remember Liberty bodices, made from some quilted fabric, with rubber buttons and suspenders to attach them to your enormous knickers.
BTW our whole class burst out laughing at the line
As if this earth in fast thick pants were breathing,
In “Kubla Khan”, which we heard as “ *vast” thick pants. Ours were navy blue, with ferocious elastic round the legs.
I buy my vests fromM*S, by the way, and they usually have an offer on.

Rowantree Tue 19-Nov-19 13:35:24

DoraMArr remember the fast thick pants!! And mine were brown. Eugh. I was made to wear Liberty bodices and brown regulation knickers when all the other girls wore glam bras and bikini knickers. Scarred me!

These days I were vests almost all year. M&S camisole type but the ones which support or pull you in a bit. When it's colder, over that goes a thermal long sleeved vest - again from M&S. God knows what we will do when they go belly-up (excuse the expression)

SueDonim Tue 19-Nov-19 13:47:54

I like M&S thermal stuff. It's thin and lightweight but warm.

I'm another who, in my youth, thought that Chilprufe was Childproof and wondered why children were made to wear them in they were child-proof. grin

As for Liberty bodices. The memory is with me still. :shudder:

MiniMoon Tue 19-Nov-19 14:00:29

I don't tend to buy vests, but instead, I wear sleeveless or short sleeved tee shirts. I have a coup!e of long sleeved ones, but keep them for really cold weather.
If the top half of my arms are cold, I feel cold all over.

humptydumpty Tue 19-Nov-19 14:02:38

I'm another who has and likes M&S thermal vests/camisoles.

SalsaQueen Tue 19-Nov-19 20:25:27

I haven't worn a "proper" vest since I was a child, but in winter I like to wear a camisole top under blouses.

midgey Tue 19-Nov-19 20:48:10

Oh I remember liberty bodices! Wore them all winter, navy blue knickers with white knickers underneath called ‘linings’!

BlueSapphire Tue 19-Nov-19 21:18:51

Well, in this cold weather, and knowing I was going on a Health Walk today, it was time for my M&S long sleeved thermal vest to be donned - and very grateful I was for it too! And I always wear one at rugby matches too!
Those are really pretty camis, Maw. I can only recommend looking in M&S, or John Lewis or similar. Or I think I have seen adverts for Patra silk vests in the weekend supplements.

Auntieflo Wed 20-Nov-19 15:43:34

I got some very comfortable, Organic cotton 'vests', in New Look, when my ribs were cracked and I couldn't wear a bra.
They are, I think, 97% cotton and the rest is elastane.
They keep their shape and are warm and cosy, and very reasonable.