Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Winter boots - cosy, waterproof and non-slip?

(24 Posts)
Fmw2175 Wed 20-Nov-19 09:54:44

As a regular morning dog walker I am still looking for the perfect pair of winter boots. They need to be easy to get on too (zip or velcro) as I have awkward feet )-:
Any suggestions?

MawB Wed 20-Nov-19 09:58:07

I like Hotter “Pixie” . They do have a zip but also come in extra wide so are easy to get into.

Grammaretto Wed 20-Nov-19 10:01:20

Muck boots from the country stores. Make sure they have good gripping soles though. I used to wear them when out with the horses. Warm because they are made from that diving suit material.
I also have a pair of Nordic walking boots . Last for years. Waterproof.
Not posh for town though.

Canalboatgranma Wed 20-Nov-19 10:08:24

I have two pairs of Hotter's Ellery boots. They are fur lined around the ankle and are really comfortable. They are lace up, but but the front opens easily; they are so comfortable.

henetha Wed 20-Nov-19 10:12:52

Pavers have lots of boots in different designs. Mine are side zip ones and are very comfortable.

merlotgran Wed 20-Nov-19 10:18:41

I will keep my eye on this thread. I'm also looking for some comfortable winter boots with either zip or Velcro fastening because I CBA with laces.

I saw some advertised on facebook which looked ideal but my last experience of buying something advertised there was not a good one. The item took six weeks to arrive and I felt it was only because I'd used PayPal that I didn't lose my money.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:40:54

fmw if you are walking in mud, nothing beats a good pair of wellies to prevent you from slipping. But if it’s frosty slippery ground, I have a pair if Timberland boots. Totally waterproof and fleece lined up to mid calf.

If it is really bad I have a pair of clamp on things that fit over my boots.

EllanVannin Wed 20-Nov-19 10:52:58

My ( half a size bigger ) Uggs because they're thickly lined to keep the calves warm.

kittylester Wed 20-Nov-19 10:55:43

Can I put in a word for elastic laces! I use them in trainers but they would work for boots too. Available from the long river company!

kittylester Wed 20-Nov-19 10:56:23

Doh, meant to say that I have some boots from Lands End that have lasted years.

glammanana Wed 20-Nov-19 11:11:13

Kittylester Same here I have a pair of Lands End which I bought in one of their sales it was when GN first started as Glass and I both bought the same style,Lands End have a good sale on at the minute well worth a look.
Duck boots are worth looking at for dog walking they are none slip and rinse off easily if you get muddy.

NotSpaghetti Wed 20-Nov-19 11:43:34

I like Ecco and have a pair I've worn for years.
I had a link from a shop I've bought from before which has a sale on... will see if I can find it.

NotSpaghetti Wed 20-Nov-19 11:47:50

Here it is...
They aren't just online.
They are a "real" shop in Worcester.
www.robineltshoes.co.uk/

Grammaretto Wed 20-Nov-19 18:31:02

www.muckbootcompany.co.uk/collections/women

You'll not regret it. As waterproof as wellies but much much warmer.
I've had mine for 6 years at least.

suzette1613 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:36:37

Muck boots for me too. You can get long or short versions. Mine are just `slip on` but are easy to get in to.
I also have boot chains for icy weather.

Missfoodlove Wed 20-Nov-19 18:49:49

I have a pair of Aigle wellies. The sole is a constructed as a walking boot. They are the best boots I’ve owned.
Expensive but worth every penny. Mine are 17 years old and still going strong.
Look at the link. www.aigle.com/uk/en/parcours-boots.html

Fmw2175 Thu 21-Nov-19 07:43:41

Thanks so much to everyone for your info. I'm off to investigate now. My first question on GN so I'm delighted with all the useful and helpful responses (-:

NotSpaghetti Thu 21-Nov-19 14:33:51

If I was going for wellies, I’d definitely try these:
www.fitflop.com/uk/en/shop/womens-wonderwelly-boots-uk

mosaicwarts Thu 21-Nov-19 14:41:54

I had my laced Sorel Tofino boots for five winters, fairly light, great grippy sole, completely waterproof and warm. In very icy weather I'd put Yak Trax on and felt completely safe. Unfortunately not many left on the market as they upgraded them to Sorel Tofino II which I had to buy - I wasn't sure of them at first, but they are even easier to put on. The Sorel Joan of Artic is far heavier but has similar features.

I've also got Aigle wellies, but they are too long in the leg, catch on my seat when I'm driving.

ayse Thu 21-Nov-19 15:07:00

I wanted warm boots for just keeping my feet warm. Ive just ordered some sheepskin boots from a small company in Glastonbury. They remind me of Mum’s boots in the 1950s, that she always wore when it was cold. You can also buy replacement sheepskin insoles. They were more than I really wanted to pay but they are all sheepskin with rubber soles, just right for frosty slippery weather. I hope they will be lovely and I’ll know on Monday.

Grammaretto Thu 21-Nov-19 15:09:36

Those look great Mosaics but pricey.

The point about normal wellies is they are cold. Your feet freeze.

Muck boots are made of this diving suit material, neoprene and are cosy and 100% waterproof (they're not paying me honest).

I'll never get Rieker boots again. They are very pretty but they leak! indoor use only.
www.rieker.co.uk/

rafichagran Thu 21-Nov-19 19:52:48

Sketchers are good too.

mosaicwarts Sat 23-Nov-19 23:16:57

Thanks Grammaretto, I'll have a look at muck boots. I know Sorel are expensive, I think I paid £100 for my original pair, but as I had them for five years, reckon at £20 per year. I do miss them, I used to wear them all night in the house too as it's so cold here. I've got wide feet and used to suffer terribly with corns with other boots, I'd never realised how painful they can be.

The Sorel Tofino II I had to buy to replace them are heavier, and not quite the same, but I need to wear them in. So glad I've got them, the rain here is torrential and my normal evening walk is a slippery mudbath.

Patsy70 Thu 28-Nov-19 13:48:47

I'll vouch for Muck Boots too, especially for dog walking and gardening in the Winter. I've recently bought a short pair of Pavers, with side zips - they are so very comfortable and look good too. I also like some Reiker styles.