Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Christmas Jumpers Yay or Nay

(96 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 12-Dec-19 19:45:48

Do you and your family wear Christmas jumpers. Or do you think they look tacky

Nortsat46 Sun 15-Dec-19 17:38:10

I have a pair of earrings shaped as Christmas Trees (decorated with coloured crystals) and a brooch to match, courtesy of the Butler & Wilson sale. Anyone familiar with B&W’s sparkly costume jewellery, will know what I mean.

I wear them with a red jacket and sparkly scarf ...

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 16:49:42

Schools have joined in this too.
They all seem to have a Christmas jumper day at the end of term.

Vonners Sun 15-Dec-19 16:37:50

I wouldn't buy one as seems such a waste even if kept for the next year it will eventually end up in landfill. The TV ad about Save The Children Christmas jumper day seemed a bit daft to me. Why buy a jumper and donate £2? Surely if everyone donated the money they would've used to buy a jumper then a whole lot more money would've been raised? I guess thats not how marketing works though!

Oldandverygrey Sun 15-Dec-19 15:56:53

The Manager at our local Tesco is a very large gentleman with a huge stomach, he wears a Christmas jumper which says "who ate all the pies".

SirChenjin Sun 15-Dec-19 15:52:51

The DCs have them but DH and I don’t. I must rectify that - I really like those Nordic style ones. I do have a sparkly Christmas top that I wear for Christmas lunch every year before it’s put back in the wardrobe for another year - does that count?!

Nannymags27 Sun 15-Dec-19 15:46:46

Specifically went to the shops a few days ago to buy a festive tunic-style top to wear to a family function. No chance! The shops were FULL of jumpers (way too warm) and the only tunics (few & far-between) were 100% acrylic (likewise way too warm) and covered in sparkles (not good with small children around!). I actually had a minor moan to the EWM shop worker about women “of a certain age” needing natural fabrics & there being nothing available. Where is the manufacturer catering for us? But ain’t that the year-round conundrum...

MenoeaClothing Sun 15-Dec-19 14:42:04

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

123kitty Sat 14-Dec-19 17:20:01

They look lovely (on other people).

GeorgyGirl Sat 14-Dec-19 14:50:40

We all wear them, just for the fun element. Merry Christmas!

maryhoffman37 Sat 14-Dec-19 14:40:38

Nay! They almost all contain synthetic fibres which wash into the sea and are very bad for the environment. Will not biodegrade in landfill either so you can't even throw the b-----s away.

Margs Sat 14-Dec-19 11:30:10

They only get worn for a few hours on the one day of the year - very colourful and a million miles away from those diamond patterned golfing sweaters. Thank God!

Mardler123 Sat 14-Dec-19 09:03:53

I got a nice Christmas cardigan from Amazon Gonegirl. They still have some if you are interested. Happy and a jolly Christmas. Keep that sense of humour into 2020

sazz1 Fri 13-Dec-19 23:59:07

Had to buy one last year for a Xmas meal with a ladies club I belonged to. Bought from a charity shop cheaply and will keep it incase I ever have to wear it again. Really not a fan of them.

Nanny41 Fri 13-Dec-19 21:38:55

I would love to wear a Christmas jumper, but would look ridiculous, oh I know thats the point but I am little and would be swamped in one, I am always hot too, so it wouldnt work, I admire anyone who has a Christmas jumper,and has fun. I do also have a little Christmas tree brooch put on a blouse, so a little festive!

PamelaJ1 Fri 13-Dec-19 19:47:51

Homefarm, I understand where you are coming from but mine is very old, from the days before I was so concerned about the environment.
As I already have it and it will last for years to come it’s probably better for the environment than buying a new outfit every year. It is made of wool and can go on the compost heap at the end of its life.

Como2020 Fri 13-Dec-19 19:39:18

I remember a Christmas cardigan my grandmother knitted for me when I was about 5. Reindeers prancing around the bottom with red noses, and red buttons. ‘‘Twas lovely!
tchsmile

Chimaera Fri 13-Dec-19 18:04:49

I have 4 Christmas jumpers - all with beagles on! So not too tacky......I hope!

NanaandGrampy Fri 13-Dec-19 17:11:53

You’re my kind of jumper wearer Hurdygurdy! ?

NanaandGrampy Fri 13-Dec-19 17:11:04

Yup! I have a selection I wear them through out December for going out shopping or whatever .

I think they’re fun and festive and I am far to old to give a stuff about whether you or anyone else thinks they’re tacky or tasteless ??

I’ve had some of them a few years as obviously they don’t get worn a huge amount. For Christmas Day I have one with a snowman on and when I get too warm after dinner I shall swap it for a t shirt covered in cheery robins.

Each to their own I say .

HurdyGurdy Fri 13-Dec-19 16:16:13

I think Christmas is the perfect time for sparkle, bling and bad taste.

I love (other people's) amazing tacky Christmas "stuff". I love over-decorated houses - especially when the owners are using them to raise money for charities (but I'd not go all out myself)

I love tacky blingy Christmas jumpers - as someone else said, they are supposed to be ironically tacky. Mine is tasteful tchwink due to my horror of being "noticed".

And I have some gorgeously tacky Christmas earrings made from, I think, FIMO, and bought at a craft fair, with naked Santas covering their embarrassment with their hats.

FlexibleFriend Fri 13-Dec-19 16:05:18

When I say I'm too hot for wearing jumpers that also means I'm too hot to put the heating on. I suffer terribly with over heating and was quite shocked one day last week to actually feel chilly enough to put leggings on my bare legs but I still couldn't have worn a jumper. I don't actually own a jumper, Christmas or otherwise because I'd never wear it.

LuckyFour Fri 13-Dec-19 15:44:00

I don't own a Christmas jumper and have never actually wanted one. I don't want to have to wear the same thing every year or buy something I can only wear once or twice at Christmas. I prefer a nice dress, although nothing fancy.

Mollygo Fri 13-Dec-19 15:42:52

Homefarm I defend your right to dislike them, along with my enjoyment of them but even M and S are now making knitwear including Christmas jumpers from recycled polyester.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 13-Dec-19 15:38:14

Doodle
Typical. Once again ' old uns' getting stick. I can assure you that at my church recent annual xmas lunch for pensioners it was members of the younger generation who were there to help? hmmjury still out on that. who were making derogatory remarks concerning the elderly, who had got into the festive spirit with their 'xmas' sweaters.

homefarm Fri 13-Dec-19 15:30:46

A total waste of money, tasteless and unwearable after Christmas, add to that most of them are plastic bases fibres. I don't encourage any one to buy or wear one.