Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Anyone bought glasses from Glasses direct

(17 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 12-Dec-19 19:52:40

As there are several online sites selling glasses, would love to know what others think if they have purchased any,

Niobe Thu 12-Dec-19 20:35:36

I haven’t yet but my son and his wife have and have been very happy with the glasses.
I see you can buy cut price frames in TK Maxx and get the lens put in online and I think that’s what I will do in January.

FlexibleFriend Thu 12-Dec-19 20:42:31

I use specs-by-post always quick, efficient and cheap.

midgey Thu 12-Dec-19 20:48:39

I have, two pairs for £18, great buy. One pair fitted really well the others fall off .....but what a bargain!

Luckygirl Thu 12-Dec-19 21:18:10

I have a very complicated prescription and also need varifocal lenses - I have twice bought online with no trouble at all - I was very pleased.

ninathenana Thu 12-Dec-19 21:24:12

How do you ensure the frames fit your face ?
DH wears varifocals, I need reading and seperate driving glasses. We are collecting the 3 new pairs tomorrow £300 + shock

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 21:27:27

I haven't, because you have to have that measurement which opticians don't put on the prescription they give you.

SalsaQueen Thu 12-Dec-19 21:29:21

Yes, I've used them a few times. I found the online ordering straightforward, and the prices were really good. The glasses were good, just the job.

grandma60 Thu 12-Dec-19 21:32:20

My eye consultant told me that that is how he buys his glasses.

jura2 Thu 12-Dec-19 21:34:21

Never have ordered on-line- Mine always need several adjustments to look - but mainly, it is so important to have regulr proper eye checks, for glaucoma, macular degenaration, etc- especially after 65. And I like to try them on, and the price is very reasonable at Vision Express and staff great.

Lona Thu 12-Dec-19 21:41:08

I’ve had lots of pairs from Glasses Direct. They are great, very efficient and the glasses are good value for money.

Luckygirl Thu 12-Dec-19 21:48:17

Gonegirl| - it the pupillary distance (PD). I just ask the opticians to write it on the prescription - they have never refused - you are entitled to ask for it.

jura - you can have all the checks at the optician of your choice, then walk out with your prescription and take it or send it wherever you want. You do not miss out on any important checks by buying the actual glasses online.

Luckygirl Thu 12-Dec-19 21:48:57

And you can try them on - several of the online companies will send you 3 choices of frame free of charge to try on.

Doodledog Thu 12-Dec-19 21:48:59

I've used them lots.

To get the measurement Gonegirl mentions, you send a photo holding a credit card (I used a Boots Advantage card) against your forehead, and they work it out from there. You only do it once, as the measurement doesn't change, and they keep it on record.

If the legs are too long, you adjust them with a hairdryer. It's very easy, and they send instructions. I think you can send them back to be adjusted, but I have never needed to.

I really like them. As always, the headline prices aren't what you end up paying, as lenses are on top; but if you wait for the best deals (50% off frames or money off the whole order) they are cheaper than Specsavers, and are good quality frames.

You need a prescription, Jura2. You can get one at any optician, so your eyes do get checked for all the usual things.

musicposy Thu 12-Dec-19 21:52:38

Yes, I just have.

My vision express ones which I already had were too big. I have a very narrow head and when it had been Tescos instead of vision express they had a teen range I could choose from but last time, nothing, and they'd persuaded me the ones I chose would be alright. I'd been taking them back to be tightened at least a couple of times a month and still they're too big, and they'd started getting a bit annoyed, telling me I must be wearing them on my head (I'm not).

In despair I ordered two pairs from glasses direct for £30, chose from their small frames, looked for reviews from people who said they had narrow heads (!) , and hoped for the best!
One pair are brilliant, just perfect. The other are ok, very light but a bit plasticky; they feel like the kind of frames you get on Poundland readers. Weirdly they were the £49 designer ones and the ones I think are the better ones were in their cheap £20 range (their offers brought the total down). Maybe I just like old fashioned heavy frames!
For the money, I thought they weren't bad at all. I didn't get any fancy lenses for that price. I think if you wanted to add on anti glare, tougher lenses, anti scratch, it starts really bumping the price up and you may as well buy at the opticians where you can try lots on. But for basics, I would buy again from them.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 21:59:02

That's very interesting Doodledog. I will remember that. Thank you.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 22:00:31

Lyckygirl you are braver than I am! tchgrin