Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Jo Malone

(24 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 05-Jan-20 20:06:53

I won't be buying again, and will ask people not to buy for me again. It's unacceptable in this day and age.

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 15:50:24

??

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:46:04

I have got the “bunny free” app on my phone, it’s free and a handy one to have.

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 15:42:02

Marks & Spencer is cruelty-free.

This brand has confirmed that it is truly cruelty-free. They don't test finished products or ingredients on animals, and neither do their suppliers or any third-parties. They also don't sell their products where animal testing is required by law.

CERTIFICATIONS

Marks & Spencer is certified by Leaping Bunny.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:39:33

I think that all beauty products sold in M & S claim to be cruelty free.

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 15:38:20

Liz Earle is cruelty-free.

This brand has confirmed that it is truly cruelty-free. They don't test finished products or ingredients on animals, and neither do their suppliers or any third-parties. They also don't sell their products where animal testing is required by law.

Although Liz Earle is cruelty-free, they're owned by Walgreens Boots Alliance, a company that tests on animals.

grannymy Sun 05-Jan-20 15:38:02

I often wonder how people can work in perfume shops and duty free. I think the smell would go to my head eventually and make me queasy. I haven't tried Jo Malone but they do seem very popular.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:37:59

Absolutely ybnb each and every cosmetic product sold in China has to be tested.

annodomini Sun 05-Jan-20 15:36:36

It's good to know about the Jo Loves range, and the reassurance that it isn't tested on animals. I use some of the Liz Earle fragrances which are, like all their products, cruelty free. Look for the leaping bunny logo on cruelty free products. M&S's own brand toiletries as well as Waitrose ones have this symbol.

timetogo2016 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:36:24

Thanks for info Yehbutnobut I won`t be buying that again and will pass info onto friends/family.

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 15:34:37

The statement “except when required by law” usually means that the brand is selling their products in foreign markets that may require animal testing, like Mainland China (not including Hong Kong), where they currently require all imported cosmetics be tested on animals by law.

JM sell in Mainland China, this means that Jo Malone have consented to have their products/ingredients tested on animals according to China’s current laws.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:23:00

Just googled Jo Malone, they dispute some comments regarding Animal Testing

NotAGran55 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:21:53

Daisy .
Jo Malone sold her business years ago but started again as Jo Loves . The JL products are far superior in longevity and are also cruelty free.
glamorouslyvegan.com/2017/12/31/jo-loves/

dogsmother Sun 05-Jan-20 15:10:52

Interesting thread.
I work in a hospital and I’ve also been a patient....
I try telling other staff that the smell of perfume on people bending over and around you when you are a patient is the most horrible thing ever.
I do wear perfume but not too liberally in my free time but I do as I quite like a little.
But wow... the smell on others in certain circumstances...no thank you!

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 15:00:13

quizqueen have you checked your shower gel and deodorant are cruelly free? X

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 14:59:10

Daisy thank you for reading and understanding the point I was making.

Teetime Sun 05-Jan-20 10:50:33

Jo Malone has a vast array of perfumes now but I find most of them on the flowery side for me. DD2 bought me some lovely shower gel for Christmas and haven't tried that yet. She was wearing one of theirs the other day and I told her it smelt like air freshen she agreed and said it was only a sample anyway - it lingered and lingered.

Humbertbear Sun 05-Jan-20 10:32:44

I think perfumes are very particular to an individual and what smells nice or lasts on one person will not necessarily suit another. I have worn Paloma Picasso eat de perfume for years because it suits me and lasts. A colleague recommended Dior Mademoiselle Dior and it simply disappeared on me. My mother always wore Tweed which I to,d her I didn’t like because it smelt of plasticine. She thought I was just being rude until one day my sister walked in and said’have the children been playing plasticine in here?’ The bottle went straight in the bin.

quizqueen Sun 05-Jan-20 09:55:09

I hate all perfumes/aftershaves and often feel quite nauseous when someone comes near me with a strong perfume on and the smell wafts over me. Just a daily shower and a roll on deodorant is enough for me. I can't bear to think any products are tested on animals and the trauma they must go through.

Daisymae Sun 05-Jan-20 09:51:50

Oh, didn't know about the animal testing. How bloody unnecessary.

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 09:45:32

Tested

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 09:45:25

No they don’t seem to last long and are texted by squirting into the eyes of rabbits. I have some JM on my dressing table. Can’t bear to use it any more after seeing the photos of those poor rabbits, secured so they can’t move and their eyes red, inflamed and encrusted just so we can smell ‘nice’.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Jan-20 09:26:25

I only use Jo Malone colognes, often when I am out hours after I have applied them I get asked “what perfume are you wearing” I think our noses get immune to any perfume/cologne on our body after awhile.

Daisymae Sun 05-Jan-20 09:14:38

I had a box of Christmas colognes as a gift and they are lovely. The only thing is that the don't last. I know they are a cologne and not a perfume but the are expensive and I would have expected more. I am wondering if they are trading on their name or maybe it's me?