Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Growing out the hair dye

(8 Posts)
NotTooOld Mon 06-Jan-20 16:59:56

My shoulder length hair is naturally grey but dyed brown. I have the roots done every six weeks. I would like to stop dying it as my scalp is sore and itchy and I think stopping the dye might help. I've asked my young hairdresser about this and she tells me there is nothing to be done except stop dying and put up with a dividing line until it grows out. I should add that I don't want my hair cut short. A friend suggested low lights might help make the transition less noticeable and I wondered if anyone here had tried that and was it successful. Alternatively, are there any experienced hairdressers on GN who could advise, please?

DoraMarr Mon 06-Jan-20 17:12:13

Lowlights might help, but then you would still have the problem that your scalp is reacting to the dye. I had my hair bleached, and the resulting rather yellowy hair soon grew out, and it is now a nice silvery grey, but I have short hair. I toned down the yellow with a blue shampoo. You could have yours cut slightly shorter, then the dye will grow out quicker, but if you don’t want to cut it then I think just being patient and putting up with the badger effect is the only solution.

Hetty58 Mon 06-Jan-20 17:13:44

'I would like to stop dying' made me laugh! You can use a semi-permanent tint (without ammonia or peroxide) until it grows out. There is a spray to disguise or blend in grey hair (Loreal root touch-up) that washes out too. A change in hairstyle while it grows may help too.

NotTooOld Mon 06-Jan-20 17:22:59

Thanks, both. Hetty - can you recommend a semi-permanent tint, please? I have used one before and it turned out to be more or less permanent. I do have a root spray but I don't think it would be much good on a badger stripe as it gets bigger. I'm also wondering why my hairdresser has not suggested a semi-permanent tint while the permanent one grows out?

NotTooOld Mon 06-Jan-20 17:45:31

Oh, Hetty! I see what you mean. I should have put dyeing!

dragonfly46 Mon 06-Jan-20 17:52:02

Can't your hairdresser take the dye out? Mine can before he adds other colours.
I gave up colouring mine years ago as recommended by my hairdresser as he thought my natural colour was better than the dyed colour.

Xxjanexx Mon 06-Jan-20 18:13:38

@nottooold I use clairol semi permanent and would not use anything else,you don’t get no growing out lines,I even take it to my hairdresser and she puts it on for me.

You scalp might be sensitive as perhaps you been using the other dye for too long.
You could also try going to another hairdresser for a second opinion

Mrst1405 Mon 06-Jan-20 19:53:17

I had a lot of highlights put in and grew my blond out quite easily, so maybe having low lights would work. It didn't take as long as I thought!