Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Just can’t find jeans to fit anywhere!

(47 Posts)
aonk Sun 09-Feb-20 16:21:54

Would any ladies be able to help? I’m finding it totally impossible to get any jeans to fit me. I really like to wear jeans in the cooler months as they’re warm and practical for the life I lead. I’m fortunate to be slim with a small bottom and skinny thighs. My waist and tummy however are big and to complicate matters I have ibs and can’t wear anything too tight around my waist or tummy. I’ve lost count of the number of jeans I’ve tried on in the last few weeks. I even went to a personal shopper and tried on 15 pairs. One pair only was a reasonable fit but a faded grey colour rather than blue which I prefer.
If anyone has any advice I’d be most grateful.

dragonfly46 Sun 09-Feb-20 16:26:26

Have you tried Next?

br0adwater Sun 09-Feb-20 16:37:05

Tesco?

tanith Sun 09-Feb-20 16:42:00

Sainsbury?

Opal Sun 09-Feb-20 16:46:17

Try cotton traders on-line. Nice jeans, with elasticated sides at the waistband. If you don't like them, you can send them back.

MawB Sun 09-Feb-20 16:49:40

I totally sympathise.
My wardrobe is full of expensive jeans-buying mistakes
I even tried NYDJ at £139 but they were no better than Bonmarché apart from being a better fabric.
I used to buy from Gap but I have put on too much weight and I have liked Next but the stitching was rubbish. At tge moment I have some by Ruth Langsford from QVC which are OK but I have seen better quality denim.
All suggestions gratefully received.

MadeInYorkshire Sun 09-Feb-20 16:53:46

I am similar in trying to find clothes to fit - I am not slim, and have always been the same size leg wise, but as I have 4 abdominal hernias I also have difficulties with the waist as I have effectively been 8 months pregnant for 15 years!

I find the better ones are Sainsburys Tu, M&S, Simply Be and Cotton Traders - but, how about also trying small sized maternity jeans?

Some ideas here

www.google.com/search?q=maternity+jeans+size+10&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB860GB860&oq=maternity+jeans+size+10&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l6.7854j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Happygirl79 Sun 09-Feb-20 16:56:01

T U at Sainsburys are great
Reasonable price.. Under £20. They have so much stretch around the tummy and waist and are very very comfortable to wear

Hetty58 Sun 09-Feb-20 17:05:46

I'll second the maternity jeans, no tight waistband and a good fit on the bum and legs!

Nannylovesshopping Sun 09-Feb-20 17:08:19

Used to think TU jeans were great, but recently changed country made from India to Pakistan, not so good now, but did find yesterday at TU jeans with eyelets at pocket edges, two prices one at £16, imo rubbish, but ones at £18, brilliant, much thicker denim with less stretch, and great fit?

Nannylovesshopping Sun 09-Feb-20 17:10:46

Pressed two quick, also have found good jeans at TKMAXX, but you have to be prepared to hunt through the racks, which I can be bothered to, but realise it’s not every bodies idea of a good morning?

Hetty58 Sun 09-Feb-20 17:17:13

Dungarees with a mid to loose fit are more comfortable than jeans.

Daisymae Sun 09-Feb-20 17:24:11

Mom jeans in M & S are new, well new to me at any rate, and see to be a good fit. They are high waist and taper which might suit you.Worth a try anyway.

Framilode Sun 09-Feb-20 17:32:28

I agree about Next. I am the same shape as you and find Next are best for me. I have to try various styles on to find the best. I have just bought some ankle grazer high rise and they are perfect. I am only 5'5' and they actually come below the ankles but are not too long, as many jeans are for me.

aonk Sun 09-Feb-20 17:42:18

I’m so grateful for all your ideas. I do agree about Next jeans. They look nice and the fabric is good quality but I’ve tried all the styles with no luck. I do my food shopping in Sainsbury’s but have never thought to look at their jeans. I’ll definitely give them a try. Also Cotton Traders and all your other suggestions. If I have any luck I’ll let you know!

Lucca Sun 09-Feb-20 17:46:06

V expensive but robell stretchy jeans are great I’ve had a pair for four years

Butterbean Sun 09-Feb-20 17:54:35

Hi I've not posted here before but decided to try and help. Have a look at Damart jeggings with elasticated waistband. They are not clingy, just slim, and there's no zip to make your tummy look bigger. I love these and have both blue and black. I have a big tummy but am small of thigh and bum. The ones to look for are £21 I think and look exactly like they do in the picture. I know elasticated waistbands sound old-fashioned but these look lovely with a top or tunic.

joannapiano Sun 09-Feb-20 18:07:27

I find Bon Marche slim leg jeans a good fit for me, I am size 12 but at 71 find they have a nice stretch as well. And they are a good price. I never buy anything else.

Newquay Sun 09-Feb-20 18:40:24

I’m having the same problem-slim (ish!) hips but bigger tum and waist. The problem with Cotton Traders/Damart you have to pay return if they don’t fit. Haven’t tried Next or Sainsburys so will give them a go.

Grannyknot Sun 09-Feb-20 19:54:23

I bought the most comfortable jeans that I have ever owned at M & Co last year.

merlotgran Sun 09-Feb-20 20:06:52

Another Bon Marché fan here. Sara straight legs are my current favourites and at £18 are really good value.

I also like Cotton Traders and Sainsbury's

Missfoodlove Sun 09-Feb-20 20:20:02

I think your nest bet will be good quality maternity jeans.
You will get the fit on your bottom and thighs and a lovely stretch comfort band around the tummy.
Top Shop and H&M have a good selection.

52bright Sun 09-Feb-20 21:23:09

I take a range of jeans in two sizes from M and S into the fitting rooms and keep eliminating and bringing more in until I find a pair I like. Tedious I know but the only way which works for me.

Once I have a pair I like I make a note of the number on the label and order more in other colours from time to time. When, eventually, they stop making the pair I like I have to start the whole process over again.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 09-Feb-20 21:25:17

My daughter was always nagging me to go to "TopShop" and I dismissed this for years.

We were going away and I was desperate for jeans of any description, hesitantly I went into Top Shop, the very young assistants were so helpful and the ranges/styles were plentiful. I am now a convert to the 'joni' range (very expanding).

I have tried NYDJ and many other expensive brands but for me Top Shop comes up trumps.

Hetty58 Sun 09-Feb-20 22:16:40

Another thought - try men's jeans! In the dim and distant past, when I was very slim, I had an 'athletic' build with slim hips. I always bought men's Levis then!