Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What makeup do you prefer (if any)?

(62 Posts)
Nata Fri 14-Feb-20 07:32:35

I like trying new things, it is just fun. I have like 10 eyeliners and see no reason to stop at this point grin
What are your favorite makeup tips?

Skcr Sat 22-May-21 22:41:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Skcr Sat 22-May-21 22:11:08

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Shirleyw Fri 21-May-21 11:21:07

at the moment i use laura Mercier canvas primer then her tinted moisturiser in nude then small amount of chanel bronzing cream, mascara and lipstick.

davidmalan2322 Fri 21-May-21 05:18:41

I prefer eye makeup and I use Eyeshadow Palette Makeup Rainbow because this Glitter Bomb eyeshadow (affordable eye makeup) palette offers 12 varied shades to create gorgeous party looks. These highly pigmented shades are guaranteed to brighten and accentuate your blue eyes.

HettyMaud Sun 01-Mar-20 22:01:00

On films people seem to apply make-up using lots of brushes on their faces. What are they doing? Also can anyone explain how you apply make-up with a sponge please?
I'd like to shape my podgy face but haven't a clue about how to apply blusher or highlighter.

Nanna58 Mon 17-Feb-20 21:07:50

Like a Rimmel exaggerate eyeliner in brown. Sounds painful but not, lift the upper lid a little and line the bit exposed under the lashes. Gives the benefit of eyeliner without making your eyes look smaller.

Chrissy3889 Sun 16-Feb-20 20:30:46

boots foundation
boots eyeliner and brow pencil
lancome blusher
estee lauder eyeshadow
estee lauder lipstick
lancome mascara

annep1 Sat 15-Feb-20 22:22:01

Boots No 7 hypoallergenic for me. If you go to buy it the assistant will give you a free makeup session.
At the minute I'm using their gradual facial tan. I'm fed up with a pale winter face.

HettyMaud Sat 15-Feb-20 17:27:11

All I can say is I spent £100 in an afternoon on make-up after watching a demonstration. When I used it nobody commented. I've since bought make-up in Poundland and can hardly tell the difference.

Cambia Sat 15-Feb-20 17:19:53

Catlover123. It is called Long4lashes and works brilliantly. Takes a while but now I only use it twice a week so it lasts ages.

Jane43 Sat 15-Feb-20 15:24:18

I used to use lip liner, Clinique ‘Raspberry’ worked best for me as red or orange shades of lipsticks just don’t suit me so I stick to pink shades. However they changed from a pencil which lasted for ages and which you sharpened with a pencil sharpener to a small piece of pencil in a plastic container. Not only was it poor value for money it kept breaking so I changed to a lip brush and found I just don’t need a lipliner any more. If I am going somewhere special I use Lipcote which you apply with a brush and it makes lipstick last for ages. It can dry the lips so I don’t use it every day. I have never been able to apply eyeliner so have never used it but have had some success with powder eyeshadow applied with a fine brush.

I will probably be shouted down but I used to use Max Factor foundation, lipstick and mascara however I read an article advocating cheap brands of makeup as being as good as brands such as Charlotte Tilbury and Max Factor. I started by trying mascara from Wilko - Lash Princess which is a fraction of the price of Max Factor which I used previously. It is around £4 and very good. I also read that Primark foundation is as good as some expensive brands, especially My Perfect Cover Double Coverage, Matte Foundation which can be hard to find as it has been raved about in magazines, it is just £5. Primark face primer is also very good and you can get it with added highlighter, it is £3.

I like palettes of different coloured lipsticks and eyeshadows as they are more economical. I have a lovely M & S Rosie eyeshadow palette in shades of brown and L’Oreal Color Riche lip palette with six shades of pink. I agree you shouldn’t hang on to old makeup, especially eye products which can cause eye infections. I also wash my eye makeup brushes every week and wipe my lip brush with a wet wipe after every use.

I used to buy branded Micellar water for removing makeup but read about a product in The Pound Shop. It is part of a range of skin products called #6 and was found to be as good as the Boots Number 7 product. I tried it and have stuck with it.

Call me a cheapskate if you like but I have saved a lot of money by switching to these products.

Cambia Sat 15-Feb-20 14:19:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Magrithea Sat 15-Feb-20 09:56:10

@JackyB if you have lots of old stuff to use up, check the longevity of the stuff that you might have opened, especially eye make up/mascara - there should be a little icon that looks like a jar with the lid off/open with a number in it. The number indicates the number of months the product is good for

Rosiebee Sat 15-Feb-20 09:10:26

Maybelline 24 hours lipstick has colour at one end and lip balm at the other. Excellent if you need a lipstick that doesn't bleed. Colour stays well if you apply the balm every now and then.
I can't use mascara but always use a dark grey eye liner which I apply and then soften with a fine brush, then a light brush of grey shadow close to lashes. Helps to define eyes that would otherwise disappear. Always go with "less is more" mantra.

Yogagirl Sat 15-Feb-20 08:52:17

Thanks for that Missfoodlove great tutorial.
My eyebrows are my stumbling block, just can't get them right, any tips? Yes must chuck out all my old make up & get some new.

Annali Sat 15-Feb-20 06:15:30

I use Estée Lauder double wear smudge proof mascara - it doesn’t budge
I have yet to find an eyeliner that doesn’t smudge - I have tried so many. Any recommendations?
Mac lipsticks good
I never use Revlon - I think the lip colours are dull

Mamma66 Sat 15-Feb-20 05:08:42

Best foundation without a doubt = Estée Lauder Double Wear.

Missfoodlove Fri 14-Feb-20 21:10:04

A liner isn’t really necessary, find a MAC counter and ask their advice. It’s not the cheapest but it’s up there with the best and staff are well trained.

SunnySusie Fri 14-Feb-20 19:12:14

Bit odd that I am in my sixties and asking this question, but I have never worn lipstick. Now I feel as if I need some, but I dont understand how to buy it. Do you have to buy the lip liner and lipstick as a set to get the same colour? I looked in Boots but they dont seem to have the two together and I dare not buy on line because I think I might get a colour that doesnt look right. I would like to start with something subdued at first. Can anyone help?

Buffybee Fri 14-Feb-20 18:38:15

If I'm staying in, I use Clarins Bronzer, and a lip gloss.
When I'm going out I use Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Foundation, applied with a make up sponge, Nars Blush, any eyeshadow, Rimmel London Scandal eyes eye liner, Bobby Brown Smokey Eyes mascara and MAC lipstick.
All very lightly applied as when you are not so young 'less is more '.

polnan Fri 14-Feb-20 18:16:07

www.amazon.co.uk/Eclat-Eyelash-Growth-Serum-Peptides/dp/B07P436QMG/ref=sr_1_7?crid=9G9W6EXLTMV1&keywords=eyelash%2Bserum%2Bfor%2Bgrowth%2Bbest%2Bseller&sprefix=eyelash%2Bserum%2Caps%2C358&th=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1581703705&sr=8-7

I am going to order this one, thank you Cambia

chrissyh Fri 14-Feb-20 17:39:41

Cambia which one did you buy from Amazon.

Caramac Fri 14-Feb-20 15:49:27

My eyelashes are not as long and full as they used to be. I’ve found using a lash serum has really improved them. I use Barry M brand which cost me £5. It’s also a primer but beware using it on its own as I did. My eagle eyed daughter noticed the tips of my eyelashes had turned really white blush!
If I’m not going out though, I do wear it without mascara.

Madwoman11 Fri 14-Feb-20 14:33:46

Rimmel London scandal eyes waterproof kajal kohl eye liner is the best find yet. Stays in place all day £3.99 on Ebay

HannahLoisLuke Fri 14-Feb-20 14:22:50

I too love NYX lipsticks. Great colours and creamy texture.
After trying many very expensive foundations over the years I've found the best one for me is L'Oreal True Match in Rose Beige. It has the merest hint if pink instead of the flat beige tones that seem to be the norm. It's also thinner and gives a light but good coverage of my uneven skin tone.
I use my lipstick as a blusher, just a little dab blended in, then a dusting of Avon MagiX loose powder, colourless to get rid of any shine. I don't often wear mascara as I too find it can be irritating but do use a dark taupe powder eyeshadow so my eyes don't disappear. My eyebrows are hidden under my fringe so I just tidy them up with a wand epilator and that's about it.
Skincare. Favourite brand is Ren but a bit expensive for me so mostly use The Ordinary, but do splash out on Prai neck cream.