Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Funeral coat?

(44 Posts)
MawB Sat 15-Feb-20 11:57:54

Do you have a “funeral coat” ?
I have to go to three funerals in the next three weeks. A book group friend, a neighbour from our old house and DD’s godmother. sad
I usually live in puffa coats for walking Hattie but decided I needed a smart coat for these events. I didn’t want black (too funereal!) and couldn’t find a dark blue wool that I liked so have settled on a grey boucle with which I can wear my bright red leather life-affirming gloves.
I fear I have reached that time in my life when I go to more funerals than weddings alas sad
It is easier for men, though isn’t it?
My father I remember, had a very smart dark grey herringbone three-piece suit which was always referred to as his “funeral suit” and DH used to wear a grey suit and dark blue woollen coat when required.
I know some families stipulate “no black” but I would not be comfortable in a bright colour, even to celebrate a life.
So a touch of colour - scarf, gloves it is for me.
What do others do?

Doodle Sat 15-Feb-20 12:01:00

I have a funeral coat too. Like you maw I didn’t want black as many people say no black these days. I have a dark grey and light grey mix wool coat in which I always feel smart. Plus like you, a bright scarf and gloves if required.

glammanana Sat 15-Feb-20 12:09:32

MawB Your coat choice will look so good with the red trimmings such a good choice.
As you know I have just lost my darling husband and decided to wear my "go to" long black coat which I have had for a while it is ankle length with faux fur trim I brightened it up with a pillar box red scarf and red handbag (the colours of his football team) grey was very prominent with the people who attended as I think quite a lot of people do not have a black coat/suit just for this occasion now.

paddyanne Sat 15-Feb-20 12:13:50

I have a dark purple funnel neck wool coat that I wear to funerals the last one I wore a knee length black skirt and black polo neck jumper under it, my husband still wears a dark suit and black tie,we've had two at the start of the year ,hopefully no more for the rest of it

janeainsworth Sat 15-Feb-20 12:17:02

I have just worn my normal winter coat which is very similar in style to yours Maw except it’s smooth grey wool, with a dark dress or black skirt and cardigan underneath. I do have a black suit that I’d wear in warmer weather.

I don’t think people expect mourners to wear black coats these days. I’d respect someone’s wishes that black wasn’t worn, but I’d still wear something in muted tones and wouldn’t feel comfortable in anything bright.

goldenshred Sat 15-Feb-20 12:19:47

Last funeral I went people were wearing just normal stuff.

May7 Sat 15-Feb-20 12:22:17

I have a funeral coat it's a black Cape with a fur collar and it's made by Jaegar. My grandmother gave it to me 35yrs ago and I have only used it for funerals. I wore it for her funeral too along with her most glamorous hat. She was 96 when she died. She was 39 when I was born and she became a grandmother. We had our ups and downs over the years mainly about my fashion sense ha ha which is why she gave me the coat. I miss her.

Lucylastic Sat 15-Feb-20 12:22:57

Just bought a lovely warm coat to wear at two funerals. Dark green/ navy tartan, three quarter length, currently on sale at Joules.
I'll wear it with a navy wool dress and thick tights.

Eglantine21 Sat 15-Feb-20 12:26:59

I have a funeral outfit because I really only wear bright colours in everyday life. So I have one “sober”set of clothes. They sit at the far end of the wardrobe and I hate them.

Having said that I wish we stuck to the convention of black or grey. Over the last few years Ive been asked to wear pink, yellow and multicolours, a fancy hat and a football shirt and while I did follow those wishes I always felt really awkward in case nobody else did.

Cabbie21 Sat 15-Feb-20 12:32:39

When a colleague died last year , the family asked us to wear the clothes we would normally wear to work. I did, and wore a plain light jacket ( it was a warm spring day)but practically everyone one wore black or something dark.

tanith Sat 15-Feb-20 12:39:49

I do have a long black funnel neck wool jacket I wear if it’s cold for a funeral. Otherwise I wear whatever is specified by the family.

BlueBelle Sat 15-Feb-20 12:45:21

No no no I can’t bear funeral clothes and have never owned any I always go smartly dressed in colours that aren’t too bright
I have left strict instructions that I want only bright colours at my funeral my daughter always says I know you want a rainbow funeral but I don’t want any special items just bright everyday clothes I hate the black somber clothes
I m going to a young person funeral on Monday and will be wearing my normal clothes

kittylester Sat 15-Feb-20 15:35:10

I have a old, but smart, black coat that always feels good to wear and a maroon and blue short cape type thing.

I love your coat maw and it looks as though it be useful on other occasions too.

Calendargirl Sat 15-Feb-20 15:53:42

Personally don’t like to see people turning up in any old clothes at a funeral. You don’t have to be in sombre black, but sometimes folk just wear tatty jeans and a tee shirt. There’s casual, and casual.

EllanVannin Sat 15-Feb-20 16:04:39

I have my old faithful purple wool coat, though when I first bought it 30 years ago, it wasn't meant/ intended for funerals, I just loved the colour and style, hence it's still as good as when I first bought it because it's only ever worn for funerals.

If I ever wore it " normally " people would think I was off to a funeral, so it's just stayed in my wardrobe, virtually unworn.

BlueBelle Sat 15-Feb-20 16:11:34

No never casual calandergirl I would never disrespect I wear smart clothes just not black

Niobe Sat 15-Feb-20 16:14:46

I have three black coats and several black jackets. I wear a black coat or jacket most days except in summer so I do wear a black coat or jacket to funerals.

DoraMarr Sat 15-Feb-20 16:22:45

In my immediate family it is the custom to wear black, with hats for the women. All the men wear black or dark grey suits and black ties. At a recent funeral in France we were surprised to see young people in jeans- even our teenagers wore black. Someone from the French family complimented “les anglais” for our sense of style! I haven’t got a black warm coat any more, just a summer coat. I won’t buy one - it seems like tempting fate! All families have their own traditions. Mine is mostly Catholic, and our funerals are quite somber affairs: very much a rite of passage. Our custom is to sing the “De profundís” in Latin.
Your coat looks nice, Maw, and versatile.

Esspee Sat 15-Feb-20 16:40:27

How strange! Nobody gives a toss about what anyone is wearing at a funeral surely (unless it is completely inappropriate).
I was at a funeral last week and I cannot remember what one person was wearing.
It really isn't about you. Is it?

janeainsworth Sat 15-Feb-20 16:51:04

It really isn't about you. Is it?
Of course it’s not esspee, that’s why you should wear something sombre and appropriate, so as not to draw attention to yourself.
So you don’t stick out as ‘that woman’ who wore the bright orange jacket and the yellow trousers, or the off the shoulder dress, when everyone else was covered up in black, grey or navy.

threexnanny Sat 15-Feb-20 17:04:27

I've got a navy coat which I've worn to a few funerals but it is not exclusively for that. The last couple of funerals I attended were in the summer so I wore a dark dress which has become my funeral dress as my other summer clothes would be too bright.
OH went to the funeral of a former colleague recently and only he, and two other men, at the well attended service wore black ties.

DoraMarr Sat 15-Feb-20 17:08:33

Esspee, no it isn’t about you, it’s about the bereaved family. All families are different, and it depends what each family thinks shows respect- in my case, it means wearing black or dark grey.

Calendargirl Sat 15-Feb-20 18:05:36

Esspee

You don’t have to wear black or dress up as such, but as I posted previously, I have been to funerals where some look plain scruffy. So yes, some of us do give a toss what is worn at funerals, and I certainly notice if they look rough.
If that makes me a snob, so be it.
I think a funeral is an occasion when respect should be shown in how one dresses,

kittylester Sat 15-Feb-20 18:44:56

Good post calendargirl and doramarr. I agree!! Xx

kittylester Sat 15-Feb-20 18:45:54

Apologies for the kisses. Am WhatsApping DS at the same time.