Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Advice Please - swimsuit

(19 Posts)
NfkDumpling Wed 04-Mar-20 08:05:22

Sorry Ceidth, I mislaid this thread. Yes, I suppose my short leggings and tee and similar, but of course the tee shirt only just covers my big bottom. I only wear this on the beach though, as I’ve not seen anyone in anything other than normal cossies in our local pools. This may be different at somewhere like Butlins where other ladies cover up for religious reasons.

The North Sea is quite cool and on our chilly beaches I’ve seen women going into the sea in shorts and long sleeved tops. I have to say it is easier to just go into the sea and only have to change the once!

BlueBelle Wed 04-Mar-20 06:38:59

No that one in the picture doesn’t look good and also it’s on a size 12 model ! Do as others have suggested and get a nice fitting one and worry not
enjoy your holiday x

GrandmaMoira Tue 18-Feb-20 19:53:43

I find Bon Marche good and quite cheap. The ones with a little skirt are good for covering up. Otherwise the ruched front ones are flattering. Alternatively M&S but they are more expensive and a little less generous in sizing.
As for feeling large, my experience of going swimming in holiday parks with grandchildren is that there are great many larger women so I no longer worry.

POGS Tue 18-Feb-20 19:46:43

Ceidth

I understand exactly where you are coming from.

I am a size 22/24 in a bathing costume but boy does that vary from shop to shop.

Last year I bought 3 new bathos in the sale at Bon Marche and I am waiting delivery of 2 more I bought on line Sunday as I was so pleased with the quality. .

If you look on the Bon March Web site p&p is free over £35 and you can get free returns at the shop, no idea about posted back returns. The sizing is pretty accurate I found but having a bigger bust I went for size 24. The tummy control bathos are the best and they start from £7 to £18, bargain.

For the first time I bought what is called ' Tankinis', 2 piece costumes and they are so easy to put on.

Enjoy your holiday and I bet you will be surprised how people don't judge these days. Blow um if they do.

Babs758 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:30:43

I’ve just bought two of these from lands end and they are excellent. I think the max size is 20 though.

Daisymae Tue 18-Feb-20 19:29:13

I agree than Lands End have lots of costumes to fit everyone. You can feel comfortable whatever your body shape, and thats the most important thing as if you feel comfortable you will feel confident.

dahlia Tue 18-Feb-20 19:14:47

I am size 20 and I find Land's End swimsuits really fit well. They're called "tugless" because they are with none of the constant pulling down first the back, then the front that I have found in other brands. I'm sure you will soon forget about yourself and just have fun with your family - have a lovely time!

Callistemon Sun 16-Feb-20 23:18:18

I think lots of people are wearing the zip up UV swimwear for sun protection anyway. They are very popular.

Callistemon Sun 16-Feb-20 23:16:27

When are you going? If in the summer, then a two piece which offers UV protection may offer more cover too and people, if they do take any notice, will assume you don't want to get sunburnt. They are a good idea for children too.

However, no-one will notice, honestly.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 16-Feb-20 22:33:02

I would just go into M&S try all the different styles on, and go with what you feel the most comfortable in, I think people will be looking at what fun the children are having, and won’t be looking at you,

Chewbacca Sun 16-Feb-20 22:25:11

Simply Swim UK have loads of swimming costumes in plus sizes and they're reasonably priced and attractive.

www.simplyswim.com/collections/plus-size-swimwear

Ceitdh Sun 16-Feb-20 22:24:58

Nfkdumpling

So you mean a similar idea to that photo?

Ceitdh Sun 16-Feb-20 22:21:15

Thank you. I have taken him away on holiday since he was 2 but only to hotels and short breaks. Not as long as this one which is 7 nights but he stays with me every friday after nursery anyway until saturday afternoons .

GagaJo Sun 16-Feb-20 22:20:31

I've been to the pool today with my grandson. I'm a size 20. I wore a black halter neck one piece. I wasn't the biggest, or the oldest there.

Just get a conservative one piece from M&S and throw caution to the winds. People honestly are so self interested, they won't be interested in you.

annep1 Sun 16-Feb-20 22:15:43

I agree with Monica. When you're on holiday no one is really interested in how anyone else looks unless they are wearing something unusual. How lovely going on holiday with gc. You lucky thing. Just enjoy.

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Feb-20 22:13:10

I’ve grown more than I’m comfortable with and have cellulite which I could well do without. In swimming pools I wear a tankini with low leg pants. It probably doesn’t do anything to help but make me feel better.

On the beach it’s not so much of a problem and I swim in black leggings and a big tee shirt. I’ve noticed a lot of women now sea swim in shorts and tee shirts. Probably because its the North Sea and its warmer!

Ceitdh Sun 16-Feb-20 22:07:08

Thank you for your response I was kinda thinking that too about drawing more attention

M0nica Sun 16-Feb-20 22:04:50

To be honest, I think this outfit would draw attention because it is unusual.

I have a DD who is size 20 and is a regular and active swimmer. She just wears the same kind of swimming costumes as everybody else.

There will be plenty of other people there who are much the same size as you, so there will be nothing special about you to draw adverse attention. Anyway, it is half term everyone will have children with them, as you have, and will be far too busy keeping an eye on and playing with their children/grandchildren to be looking around to have disparaging thoughts or say disparaging things about you.

Ceitdh Sun 16-Feb-20 21:56:55

Hi all I am taking my grandchild to Butlins for the very fast time on my own. I am so worried about going into the waterpark and flumes as I have put so much weight on and a size 22. I know all the usual noone will be looking bla bla but its confidence on the rides etc. I looked at these type of things but would I just draw more attention to myself and sniggering?