Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

HAVE YOU EVER USED A PERSONAL STYLIST ?

(17 Posts)
Ramblingrose22 Sat 07-Mar-20 11:50:32

Seeing the thread on using interior designers made me think of this question.

I often see notices about them in department stores - perhaps where people are shopping for an outfit for a special occasion.

I have never used one because I know what I like and what suits me (and doesn't suit me!) and being a cynical type, I suspect they are there to make you buy more things and more expensive things than you normally would.

However I wish there were people who could find me everyday clothes from other shops/companies that I don't know about. Now that would be far more helpful to me!

Marydoll Sat 07-Mar-20 12:05:40

Ramblingrose, I know exactly what you mean.
I always read the threads on here, when people are looking for style ideas. As a result, I've discovered lots of new brands.
If they are out of my price range, I scour Ebay and outlet sites.
I'm sure there will be people on GN, who would be great at helping with what you are looking for.
Could you start a thread asking for ideas?

One of the parents in my school was a personal shopper for Debenhams and what an eye she had for styling people. Yet, you couldn't have met a nicer and more down to earth person, who never made anyone feel pressured into buying.
She used to organise fashion shows to raise money for school funds and she put clothes and accessorises together in a way I would never have thought of.

Eglantine21 Sat 07-Mar-20 12:10:27

Actually I used one in John Lewis when I was flummoxed as to what to wear for a wedding that was the marriage in a registry office followed by a “marriage ceremony” according to the beliefs and traditions of the families, followed by a giant picnic! I was giving a speech so I had to get it right.

No chance to change clothes on the day so I needed something that would do for all three.

The stylist listened very carefully, tucked me into a very nice room and trotted back and forth, adjusting what she brought according to the feed back I gave.

I was very happy with the final choice and she didn’t put any pressure on to spend more than I wanted or to add in extras.

She did send me down to the make up counter!?

Chewbacca Sat 07-Mar-20 12:18:15

I used a Debenhams personal shopper when I was looking for an outfit for my son's wedding years ago. She was an endlessly patient woman and I was there for hours whilst she brought me dozens of things to try on. I remember feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed that I didn't like any of the outfits she brought but I bought one of them anyway and never wore it.

jura2 Sat 07-Mar-20 12:20:06

NO lol

felice Sat 07-Mar-20 13:09:02

A friend and I were gifted by her sons a session with a colourist and stylist.
We are both on the fat side both originally red heads.
It was great, very relaxing and we were both told to stop wearing such dark colours near our faces. Something my DBF had been telling me for years, including buying me brightly coloured tops and scarves.
We took her advice and now although I still have some black I get comments on how much the brighter colours suit me.
She was a self-employed stylist/colourist so we were under no pressure to buy.
One of her comments has stuck with me, wearing very dark colours near your face when you are older makes you look older.

kissngate Sat 07-Mar-20 13:57:00

Many years ago my friend used a Debenhams stylist to find a wedding outfit and looked stunning. Since then she books an appointment regularly at Debenhams even if all she wants is a holiday outfit or a pair of jeans, loves the experience and says it's far better than wandering aimlessly round the store.

bumblebee34 Sat 07-Mar-20 13:58:46

My daughter booked me in to one at Debenhams and came with me. It was a great experience, very relaxed with coffee provided. I found it good as she brought in some items that I would never have dreamt of normally trying on and was really pleasantly surprised how some suited me. Also the selection included things that had been reduced, it certainly didn’t feel like I was being encouraged to spend more money. I would say she listened to my preferences but also encouraged me to try something different to what I would go for usually.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 07-Mar-20 14:08:54

Never really felt the need to have one help me, as I know what colours and styles suit and those that don’t, but.... I would love to go into a department store and try wigs on, which I very much enjoyed doing many years ago. And trying different colours,

Grammaretto Sat 07-Mar-20 14:59:14

I have yes, never again. Not pleased with the result. but it wasn't the stylist's fault.

She took me to a huge changing room in JL where she asked me hundreds of questions. It was like a counselling session. She said she was paid to offer this service but didn't receive commission and could advise to try another shop.

When I told her the wedding was to be in an historic castle she said could see me, MotB dazzling and shimmering. I went along with it.

She insisted that a knee length skirt was flattering and stylish.
Though there was no pressure (apart from such a long time choosing) I bought the outfit but DD told me to return it which I could not be bothered to do. I didn't like myself in it. It showed up almost white in the photos and DD said I was trying to upstage her!
I gave the outfit to charity soon after.

Scentia Sat 07-Mar-20 15:10:43

My 25 year old daughter is my full time personal stylist. She comes free of charge and we have such a laugh when we are on one of our charity shop tours. I will rent her out to anyone for £50 a day?

hulahoop Sat 07-Mar-20 15:25:51

Trendy when I went to buy a wig during chemo my hubby came with me we had a great afternoon I was encouraged to try whatever I fancied so I did we had a good laugh must say though ended up buying one very similar in colour and style to my own hair ?

Sark Sat 07-Mar-20 15:30:32

Many years ago I used one in Debenhams when looking for a wedding outfit and a bit of a 'capsule ' wardrobe which was very successful.
However a few years later I went again and it was awful

Grammaretto Sat 07-Mar-20 15:30:52

Scentia grin
The stylist cost me nothing but she wasn't the right one for me. No more weddings so no more worries!

MissAdventure Sat 07-Mar-20 15:35:26

I think I'd rather spend an hour having root canal work done than shopping, so it's a No from me.

Sark Sat 07-Mar-20 16:59:56

MissAdventure
Yikes..you definitely hate shoppinggrin

Grammaretto Sat 07-Mar-20 17:24:02

MissAdventure grin